two xm1's vs. outlaw ICBM

tofu

what would be the better solution? if i purchase the xm1's and the needed 15v power supply pre-built, it comes out to about $130 + shipping. i can probably get a used ICBM for around the same price.

which would be the better quality crossover for my sub? apparently they both have a 24db slope (12/24 toggle on the icbm), so it pretty much just comes down to SQ.

thanks in advance for the advice.

-chris

well, my sub has dual voice coils, so i assumed it would be better to have a stereo signal going into it (one channel per coil). was my assumption correct, or would i just be dumping more money into it needlessly?

as for needing bass management, i only have a simple two channel setup along with my sub. the icbm seemed to be another candidate that does what i needed in the same price range (used), so i figured i'd throw him in there too.

i'm still unsure which one would be the better solution. the icbm is obviously more convenient as i won't have to build a little enclosure for it.

well, my sub has dual voice coils, so i assumed it

would be better to have a stereo signal going into it (one channel per

coil). was my assumption correct, or would i just be dumping more

money into it needlessly?

Do not send a stereo signal to a dual voice coil subwoofer.

The idea behind DVC's is they allow one to more easily target a specific system impedance (like when using multiple drivers).

You will want to wire the voice coils in parallel or in series -

depending on the impedance of each voice coil and the amplifier you're

driving the system with. So what woofer are you messing around with and

what amp do you have?

A couple of Ashley XR-1001 are on eBay right now, they're OK. $300 new, they should go for $120~$150 or so.

My first choice would be a TDM 24CX-2. Rignt now there is a 24CX-4 for $225, a bit more that you need (4 ch biamp or two ch triamp).

well, my sub has dual voice coils, so i assumed it

would be better to have a stereo signal going into it (one channel per

coil). was my assumption correct, or would i just be dumping more

money into it needlessly?

Do not send a stereo signal to a dual voice coil subwoofer.

The idea behind DVC's is they allow one to more easily target a specific system impedance (like when using multiple drivers).

You will want to wire the voice coils in parallel or in series -

depending on the impedance of each voice coil and the amplifier you're

driving the system with. So what woofer are you messing around with and

what amp do you have?

do not send a stereo signal? i'll have to adjust that then. i've been sending a stereo signal for a while now.

i've been using a foobar2000 plugin as my crossover for music, and ac3filter bass redirect for movies, but i'd really prefer to do my crossover duty externally to free up processing power, simplify my software setup, and for upgrade convenience purposes.

the subwoofer i'm using is a 12" shiva by adire audio. it's in a sealed enclosure that i put together as per adire audio's specifications (88.5 liter). the plans can be seen here http://home.comcast.net/~enghenry/diy/shiva/SealedShivaApplications.pdf

as for the amp, i don't really have a good one. i'm using an old onkyo receiver i had laying around that puts out (supposedly) 35wpc or so.

thanks.

you know, now that you brought up amps...

i do need a new one of those too. preferably not a plate amp.

the receiver i'm using to power the sub seems to randomly distort and cut out.

You could get a Crown XTi 1000 like I'm getting. It has a DSP that for crossover, paragraphic EQ, limiting, delay, and a subharmonic synthesizer.

At least that way, you would have an amp and crossover all in one. (6, 12, 18 or 24dB per octave selectable)

Mine will be here Thursday. [H]

you know, now that you brought up amps...

i do need a new one of those too. preferably not a plate amp.

the receiver i'm using to power the sub seems to randomly distort and cut out.

You could get a Crown XTi 1000 like I'm getting. It has a DSP that for crossover, paragraphic EQ, limiting, delay, and a subharmonic synthesizer.

At least that way, you would have an amp and crossover all in one. (6, 12, 18 or 24dB per octave selectable)

Mine will be here Thursday. [H]

i was actually reading through your thread hoping you'd purchase that inexpensive samson instead! that's more around my price range.

i have no problem shopping in the used market.

that crown amp you purchased looks great. hopefully the 20hz-20khz issue you noted won't be a problem. as for the crossover, are the quality of the components on par with the other solutions i had in mind? i really don't want something that is going to noticably hurt my sq.

from what i gather, that crown goes for $500-600 new, correct? so with enough luck i may be able to get one with a less than perfect chasis in the $300 range.

then again, i don't really need the 1500 or so watts it says it puts out bridged @ 4 ohms!

by the way, i wonder why i can't log in to post in firefox, but in ie it works fine..

-chris

Try deleting your cookies in firefox (and make sure you don't have the

klipsch website open when you do it). And then try logging in again and

see if it works.

And by all means go with the samson if that's what is in your price

range. It sounds like you've already got the processing you need with

the ICBM. Most receivers aren't usually up to the task of subwoofer

duty.

Try deleting your cookies in firefox (and make sure you don't have the klipsch website open when you do it). And then try logging in again and see if it works.

And by all means go with the samson if that's what is in your price range. It sounds like you've already got the processing you need with the ICBM. Most receivers aren't usually up to the task of subwoofer duty.

well to be honest, i don't think there will be much price difference between the samson + icbm vs crown xti 1000. i guess it call comes down to which is the better solution.

-chris

edit: and i still havent tackled my original dilemma of choosing between the icbm or xm1 :P . apparently i only need a single xm1, and not two as i originally thought?