HK430 vs Tubes w/Heresys

milton10

Has anyone compared an HK430 to a good tube amp/receiever with Heresys? I currently own a HK430 but have access to a Scott 222 (unrestored). I know that the Heresy's sound much better with the HK than my Outlaw amp, but have not tried the tube amp yet.

Thanks for your responses.

Milton

I have a mildly modified Dynaco SCA-35 17WPC tube integerated and two H/K 430s which I use to drive Heresies with Crites CT125 tweeters and new BEC sourced GE caps.

While I prefer the Dyna tube to the H/K 430s, my brother and a friend preferred the H/K on the Heresies and on Radio Shack 40-1197 single drivers in Fostex FE-103 rear horn enclosures.

With more esoteric tube equipment, it would probably not be a contest. Someday I plan to refresh one of the H/Ks with new caps and replace any resistors that test poorly, to see if that makes an improvement. New coupling caps after decades ought to produce an improvement.

I can guarantee that Craig would give the nod to the Scott, if working properly, and he would be correct. If memory serves, Craig was not impressed with his exposure to the H/K X30 series receivers, but I don't know how many he heard.

...EICO HF-81 ('course prices seem to be going through the roof right now) with Heresys here (albeit not IIs)...sound better with the Quartets...sound very nice with RB-5s too...can't forget VRDs with Heresys or Klipschorns...[;)] [:D] ...Bill

I have been listening to the Heresys with the HK430 for a while. I BIG improvement over the Outlaw. I tried a crazy experiment - I hooked up one Heresy to my restored KLH Model 8 tube radio and listened to some FM. Wow! Superb! What is it about tubes that makes these speakers sound so warm yet clear? Now I must start the hunt for a tube amp. Any ideas for something reasonably priced (around $200) or should I consider spending more?

Thanks!

I have tried several Tube amps with my Heresys ,and have owned all of the H/K x30 line over the past few years. Of the H/Ks, the 730 is my favorite and the only one I still own (although it is currently not working). Most of the tube amps I have tried sounded better to me than all of the H/Ks. They ran from unrestored Scotts and Eicos to highly modified Dynacos and even a few high end McIntosh units. The only tube gear I didn't think sounded better were the very well used and unrestored units. I think a lot has to do with the kind of music you listen to. For some of my cds I am perfectly happy with my old standby Pioneer SA-8500 integrated, but it doesn't sound good at all with classical, jazz, blues, etc...

I have been listening to the Heresys with the HK430 for a while. I BIG improvement over the Outlaw. I tried a crazy experiment - I hooked up one Heresy to my restored KLH Model 8 tube radio and listened to some FM. Wow! Superb! What is it about tubes that makes these speakers sound so warm yet clear? Now I must start the hunt for a tube amp. Any ideas for something reasonably priced (around $200) or should I consider spending more?

Milton10, You will need too spend a tad more than 200 bucks too get a nice tube unit that been rebuilt and up to speck. If you go the vintage route it will take about $200 to $ 300 just too buy a used Scott intergrated tube amp or a fisher one and and then it will need too be rebuilt to get it too sound good and be reliable. Best bet is maybe another forum member might have a scott tube amp for sale that Craig has already rebuilt than you would be set too go. Figure at least about 500 bucks or a tad more too get you something in the vintage intergrated tube amp lineup that will make you happy.