purchasing Klipschorns off eBay

tom b. 57

He's right about don't buy them unless you can pick them up for 2 reasons: (1) e-Bay has been ridden with scams on KHorns, and (2) there's nothing like the security of knowing that if they're screwed up, it's because you - and not somebody else - dropped them. [;)]

Also, there are posts in this forum all the time where people are selling KHorns. I'd trust the steady members of this forum to help you find what you want.

The only way I would buy from e-spay, especially speakers, is Pick-up only. Way too many scammers out there for me. If you want Khorns bad enough, or any speaker for that matter, go pick them up, see what you bought, and handle them yourself so if there's transit damage you did it, and make sure they work. Check this forum first, I trust these guys more than "Joe for sale" e-spayer, who you'll never see or talk to again after the deal is done.

The only way I would buy from e-spay, especially speakers, is Pick-up only. Way too many scammers out there for me. If you want Khorns bad enough, or any speaker for that matter, go pick them up, see what you bought, and handle them yourself so if there's transit damage you did it, and make sure they work. Check this forum first, I trust these guys more than "Joe for sale" e-spayer, who you'll never see or talk to again after the deal is done.

I've had variable success with eBay. Got a pair of MA 3600vz's, no problem. Paid for a pair of HIP's and got one HI. Got my money back and kept the speaker. Screw the weasel.

Through a photo forum, I traded an extra 300mm f/2.8 lens I had for a Hasselblad, sight unseen. Worked out great for both of us.

I like to actually talk with the people I buy from, since my Heresy fiasco. A close second is getting a feel for folks though forums such as this.

• Moderators

We have made two separate speaker purchases through e-bay.

We purchased two separate pairs of Forte II's from separate sellers. We were 110% satisfied with both purchases.

We followed the advice of our fellow forum members. If you are going to purchase from ebay, always, always pick them up yourself. Most legitimate ebay sellers will allow you pay after you have auditioned the speakers.

In addition, by picking them up yourself, you will have a "story" to tell us about your purchase.

Klipsch does have an ebay store that you may want to check out.

Piney, those might be GRAY MARKET items without any Klipch warranty. They buy from authorized dealer at great discount, take the S/N's off and sell as 'new in box' Problem is you aren't buying from authorized dealer, therefore no warranty.

If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is.

Michael

There is an anthorized Klispch Factory Store and those items will be labeled as such on ebay and will ship from Arkansas or Indiana. If in doubt about a seller of NEW merchandise you might be able to contact Klipsch and ask if the seller is authorized.

Michael

Through a photo forum, I traded an extra 300mm f/2.8 lens I had for a Hasselblad, sight unseen. Worked out great for both of us.

what type of 300mm f/2.8 and what type of hasselblad? I have a 500 c/m

Nikkor 300mm f/2.8 ED AiS; last manual focus version made.

501c with the 80mm lens. Have purchased a metered prism and another back.

I had two 300mm f/2.8's, and I wanted to get back (after 40 years!!!) into medium format. When a photo forum member mentioned he wanted a 300mm lens, and was dumping a like new Hassey, we made the swap. Our only cost was postage. I'd been monitoring that forum for years, and had figured out who was legit and who was not, so I had no worries.

I recommend such forums for advancing your knowledge of products and their use. Social engineering is an added benefit for some.

Be aware of bullshit artists. They don't spend their time marketing bogus Advents. LOL They go where the money is.

what a trade, you obviously got very lucky and hasselblads are the best medium format out there!

Well, everyone has a 'best.' Far be it from me to be that arbiter. LOL

I see Nikon and Hasselblad as having the most comprehensive manual focus camera / lens systems, in their respective formats, over the past 50 years. I bought my first new Nikon in 1968. Still have it. Been adding regularly.....

I have a dozen bodies and 30 or so lenses. Nine bodies are Nikon, one is Hassey, and I have two Canon A-1's and a half dozen Canon lenses. The Canon stuff is my 'loaner' gear and is now in its' second home.

I went auto-focus in 1988, with an F4. Had it stolen and never replaced it, or the AF lenses. AF just didn't do it for me. Newest body I have in 35mm is the F3/T. The body is Titanium. You could use it as a hammer if you wanted. LOL

I guess I have similar feelings about Klipsch. My LSI's will be around long after I'm gone, functioning perfectly, wrapped in Fiberglas and aluminum. There's newer stuff, but none 'better.'

[D]

Well said Bill. Wow we have a ton in common. My Dad was a Nikon photographer. I still have his Ftn and F2 rigs and 55 1.2 lens. Myself, I have 8008s, N90 was stolen, F100, now the D200. Bunch of lenses.

Also bought Hassie rig when I went into weddings 2 503CW bodies 30, 50, 80, 120, 180 CF lenses, 5 backs, the whole bit.

And two pair of LSI's.

There is something more sturdy that Military Spec, that is ROck and Roll Spec!wooohoo

I met a guy at a photo seminar who had worked for NASA for 20 years teaching every single astronaut photography. Their cameras - Nikons and Hassies (highly modified of course). If they're good enough for NASA, they're good enough for me.

Michael

oh man I always wanted an f3/t or the leica m6

Canon yeah ha loaner gear that is a nice way to put it. I am nikon and hasselblad person. Oh and the autofocus, the newer magnetic autofocus are better now. Quiet and faster than my hand which can best probably 90% of all cameras there (the 10% are the professional slr which I can still beat sometimes)

Canon yeah ha loaner gear that is a nice way to put it.

Back up...... LOL

I wasn't being dismissive; Canon is decent stuff. But I started with Nikon in 1968 with a black FTn I bought in Yokosuka, Japan.

Now, here's 'the rest of the loaner story.'

A half-dozen years ago I met an old friend at a reunion. His wife had divorced him when he came down with MS and bagged everything, including his Canon gear. I sent him a replacement A-1 w/ a strobe and a couple of lenses, from KEH.

Years later, when his MS became so bad he could only use an AF digital P&S, he sent the stuff back to me. Last year I gave it to another friend who is creative but has a low budget.

I send him more stuff, when I find it on eBay at good prices. I've sent him another A-1 body, a motor, some lenses, tripods and another strobe. That way his son, who is an Eagle Scout and a photo-nut, can share shooting experiences with him. I also bagged a bunch of Walgreen branded Agfa film, when they blew up, for them. So their only out-of-pocket expenses are developing.

I figure I've been lucky. Had an accident and was in a coma for a week, but I woke up and spent another month in the hospital. Of course, I needed to re-learn how to write sentences. LOL A buddy put me up for over a month, in Florida, while I recovered. As an ex Special-Forces whack-job, he worked me over, had me driving his car within a week of getting out of the hospital and back on my bike in two weeks. We then trailered our bikes to Maryland and I rode back to New York. Nothing like having a personal trainer, on a mission, when you bump your head.

Now, I guess I'd like to keep things in balance. You don't live forever, so you might as well do something decent while you're here. I may not suffer fools or phonies. But good people deserve positive Karmic Payback.

So, yes, it's a 'loaner' rig....[;)] For good folks.

My apologies for slipping OT.

Well said Bill. Wow we have a ton in common. My Dad was a Nikon photographer. I still have his Ftn and F2 rigs and 55 1.2 lens. Myself, I have 8008s, N90 was stolen, F100, now the D200. Bunch of lenses.

Also bought Hassie rig when I went into weddings 2 503CW bodies 30, 50, 80, 120, 180 CF lenses, 5 backs, the whole bit.

And two pair of LSI's.

There is something more sturdy that Military Spec, that is ROck and Roll Spec!wooohoo

I met a guy at a photo seminar who had worked for NASA for 20 years teaching every single astronaut photography. Their cameras - Nikons and Hassies (highly modified of course). If they're good enough for NASA, they're good enough for me.

Michael

Yes, I believe that we occupy parallel, but somewhat contrasting, universes.

My photo gear is strictly for pleasure. My sound gear has always been used to make money. From what I glean here, your sound gear is strictly for pleasure and your photo gear is used to make money. But not to worry....

What may be most shared is the desire to use the best possible tools for the job. Nikon, Hasselblad and Klipsch product lines have a basic core integrity that has withstood the tests of time.

While there are newer, glitzier products, including next generations of digital equipment; manual focus cameras and film still have advantages over them.

While there are newer, glitzier products, including self-powered plastic / fantastic speakers; the K-Horn, La Scala and Heresy have never been 'replaced' by them.