Dang, check out these new crown amps:

DrWho

Here's the PDF:

http://www.partsexpress.com/pdf/245-435s.pdf

And there are three versions with different output levels:

http://www.partsexpress.com/webpage.cfm?&DID=7&WebPage_ID=3

Attached is a snippet about the DSP

I wonder if there are any limitations as to the frequencies chosen for the DSP, but I doubt there will be. These suckers would make for awesome subwoofer amps.

post-10350-13819298332588_thumb.gif

Checked one out the other day at GC ,walked right by the Bose stick

because it's in the doodad department ,an went in the pro sound

deparment, very cool amp with the integrated DSP, LCD read out on the

front ,a little tweaking smooth as butter, an has a subhamonic

synth to get the most out of a subwoofer,XTi replaces the CE models

With that kind of feature set, they seem to be destined to become subwoofer amps...

was wondering if they happened to be Class D...

I doubt it... as they are fan cooled. If you're like me, you

could live with a little less power... but prefer passive cooling.

XTi replaces the CE models ,500 watts=$500 ,700watts=$700,1,200watts=$1k per channel @4 ohms

If they are, it takes them up a notch in features. As far as i remember CE's were quite a bit heavier and cheaper too....

ROb

XTi's do replace CE, though CE actually was more expensive at retail.

Remember, CE was looked down on when it first came out because it was lighter, had a switch mode PS and it was far less $$ than the other amps in the Crown lineup. Now, the top of the line amps are light, and have switch mode PS, plus there are far less $$ amps in the lineup that a lot of folks are liking.

I've used CE 2000's and 4000's in a few smaller sub setups and had excellent luck with them (better than XLS and XS). The top Line ITech amps are insane for subwoofer use...but they are honestly too potent for many people's needs with the smallest being 1250/ch into 8 ohms in stereo. K Series amps are good, but a bit light in stereo for big sub setups (they have far better control in stereo...but the biggest is only 500/ch). What I want is a monoblock ITech 4000 without all the electronic goodies on it...now THAT would be a subwoofer amp!

I also like QSC...but they seem to have it stuck in their head that front exhaust cooling is the way to go. This doesn't work too well with many home theater flush in wall rack setups that are designed for rear and up draw. I'm trying to get them to allow me to reverse the fan and not void the warranty on the PL2's.

I guess I'm stuck in a time-warp. lol

I've bought at least one of (almost) every Macro-Tech, never had a problem, and love them. The only one I've avoided is the MA5000vz. More than one source has alleged that they are not as reliable as the others. Dunno.

I was ready to blow these new Crowns off.... until I saw the prices.

Holy Shiznit, Batman!!!!! [:o]

The XTi 4000 is $999 with a 3-year warranty. The MA2402 is twice that, new, yet is very close in specs. Has technology put the MA series on the road to retirement? I paid $1,500 each for used MA3600vz's. There is no XTi version to compete with it.... yet.

Don't get me wrong, I think my MA series stuff is great. A little heavy, yeah.

But are we seeing a changing of the guard? [:^)]

Well I was never a fan of the CE stuff...in fact I'd go so far as to

say the whole lineup completely sucked [:o] Both for subs and FOH

mains...and they might pass as decent enough for a stage monitor.

If the XTi is coming in for that much power for that low of a price

and is the replacement for the CE then I can only imagine what kind of

similar quality can be expected...I definetly wouldn't get rid of the

macrotech stuff any time soon.

Nevertheless, I thought the processing capability built into the XTi

was a really cool idea. And I really shouldn't bias my opinion before I

get the chance to hear one. Who had to go and compare them against the CE line anyway? [6]

I know my bias against CE is probably a bit extreme, but man...everything about those amps just drives me up the wall.

Well I was never a fan of the CE stuff...in fact I'd go so far as to say the whole lineup completely sucked [:o] Both for subs and FOH mains...and they might pass as decent enough for a stage monitor.

I've always felt that the monitors were the most critical part of any system. If the talent does not sound good to themselves......

If the XTi is coming in for that much power for that low of a price and is the replacement for the CE then I can only imagine what kind of similar quality can be expected...I definetly wouldn't get rid of the macrotech stuff any time soon.

Never even considered it. I don't trade stuff to be fashionable. Still use DC300's to power the tops of my LSI's. I did have them upgraded with IOC and newer faceplates. Now there's a pair of boat anchors.....

Nevertheless, I thought the processing capability built into the XTi was a really cool idea. And I really shouldn't bias my opinion before I get the chance to hear one. Who had to go and compare them against the CE line anyway? [6]

I know my bias against CE is probably a bit extreme, but man...everything about those amps just drives me up the wall.

Macro Tech is still my personal PA benchmark. Never even considered anything else. If I was buying new, today, I might want to hear the I-Tech stuff.

[;)]

Well I was never a fan of the CE stuff...in fact I'd go so far as to say the whole lineup completely sucked [:o] Both for subs and FOH mains...and they might pass as decent enough for a stage monitor.

I've always felt that the monitors were the most critical part of any system. If the talent does not sound good to themselves......

I feel the same way...but the amplifier demands for monitors are significantly less than that of other roles - well at least they should be. There's always that occasional band with insane stage volume - but they usually should be drug out and shot anyway. [;)]

There's always that occasional band with insane stage volume - but they usually should be drug out and shot anyway. [;)]

Back in the day, I used Sennheiser MD-441's for rappers. The only mutt I ever wanted to shoot was one who actually banged one on a monitor to see if it would feed back. I bought a bunch of SM-59's for the next gig.....

I think that In Ear Monitors are changing things for the better. No monitors to beat on and (hopefully) less hearing loss.

Well I blindly brought the RF-83 without listening to them first and I am glad I did. I hear there is a waitlist now [:P] I wish you the best of luck

Thanks.

I'm sure it will be fine. I mean, come on, it's a Crown! [:P]

I was actually considering the XLS 402 or 602, but went for the XTi instead. My main reason for going with it is because of the built-in DSP. It's cheaper to get this amp instead of one of the other ones along with a Behringer FBD.

See, in my room I have this nasty +10dB peak of about 40Hz, so hopefully I can use the paragraphic EQ to tone that down some. Plus that built-in limiter might become useful as well. We'll see.