Memorial Day...Never Forgotton

I think this is very appropriate--the following photos won 1st and 2nd place at Pictures of the Year International:

01.jpg

First Place
Todd Heisler The Rocky Mountain News
When 2nd Lt. James Cathey's body arrived at the Reno Airport, Marines climbed into the cargo hold of the plane and draped the flag over his casket as passengers watched the family gather on the tarmac. During the arrival of another Marine's casket last year at Denver International Airport, Major Steve Beck described the scene as one of the most powerful in the process: "See the people in the windows? They'll sit right there in the plane, watching those Marines. You gotta wonder what's going through their minds, knowing that they're on the plane that brought him home," he said. "They're going to remember being on that plane for the rest of their lives. They're going to remember bringing that Marine home. And they should."

02.jpg

Second Place
Todd Heisler The Rocky Mountain News
The night before the burial of her husband's body, Katherine Cathey refused to leave the casket, asking to sleep next to his body for the last time. The Marines made a bed for her, tucking in the sheets below the flag. Before she fell asleep, she opened her laptop computer and played songs that reminded her of 'Cat,' and one of the Marines asked if she wanted them to continue standing watch as she slept. "I think it would be kind of nice if you kept doing it," she said. "I think that's what he would have wanted."

(this is courtesey of "Force-1" at corvetteforum...I just thought it shoudl be added here...Bill

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you for posting those pictures. I remember when they originally came out. They evoke a very powerful message, and a very timely one on this weekend.

I live in small town in New England. We recently had an election regarding whether we should allow an amusment park to be built on town property. There are pros & cons that I will not go and bother with. But isn't it wonderful that we can vote on such things and discuss it with our neighbors etc.

This is a privelige. Unfortunately, it is not enjoyed by the majority of people on the planet. Others have made this freedom possible for us and we really should remember this.

Good luck

-Tom

I can only hope that every Freedom loving person on the planet remembers those that paid the ultimate price,and those that still do.Here's to remembering all those not still here with us.Stay Safe.

...hope you don't mind but I felt this should go back up as we start the Memorial Day Weekend...Lest We Forget...I never will...[A] [:(]...Bill

Those are great images - thanks for putting them up again. The picture of the honor guard on the plane is so strong and has a Norman Rockwell look to it that makes it timeless. Very moving and perfectly appropriate.

Moving.........................Thanx for sharing Bill.

It is easy to forget how good we have it. I am guilty of taking for granted the freedom we enjoy at the expense of our fallen soldiers. Many of us are need to be reminded from time to time.

Jeremy

absolutely splendid heartwrenching photos.

wasn't there a time when we never photographed fallen American soldiers though?

the times they are a changin.

Michael

I think those are orders from the whomever is the president.

Not to nit pick but from the photographer's view you can see the people in the airplane and the soldiers but from the view of the people in hte airplane they cannot see the marines but await for them to come out. That is why I think their faces are in awaiting, curiosity, and respect.

Bill, thank you for your posting. With these photos you have reminded me that their is meaning to this holiday. It is not just a paid day off of work. I think that some of us get so caught up in our own daily lives that we tend to fail to stop for a minute and reflect on the important job our fellow Americans in the Armed Forces have, and how many of them pay with their lives to keep us free. Thank you again.

tom b. 57

For those of you who may not recognize it, Bill (Silversport) tends to wear his heart on his sleeve, but Bill is a lot like Dad. Our father was career Army, from humble beginnings as a Private, during World War II through his retirement as a Major after <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" />Vietnam. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Being older than Bill, I remember vividly the late night phone calls of the 1960s, Dad getting up, putting on his dress uniform and leaving the house, not really knowing why until much later. You see, Dad was what was called a Survivor Assistance Officer. His job to deliver the news to a local family that their loved one had been killed; it was also his job to make sure appropriate military honors were bestowed upon that soldiers remains and that whatever the familys needs were, were taken care of. Dad did that so well, that a number of families from that era kept contact over the years. Its been several years since Dads passing, but I know his influence lives on in his sons and daughter.

Bill carries on that tradition in his profession and was his Departments Assistance Officer for Officer Michael Gordons parents after Michaels passing. The challenge was great, as Michael was both a former co-worker and friend of Bills when Michael worked for that suburban department before moving on to Chicago PD.

Those of you who know us, have seen that Bill and I have a friendly competition when it comes to audio, cars and careers, but all competition aside, I couldnt be more proud of Bill and I think Dad is too, as he watches over us.

Bill (Silversport), thanks for the reminder that freedom is not without price, may we all keep those who allow us that freedom in our thoughts and prayers.

The photo attached is from the Honor Guard at Arlington National Cemetery, and I think appropriate for the day

post-17808-1381929835187_thumb.jpg

Bill, thanks for posting the photos of a Marine finally coming home to rest and in peace...very moving images indeed.

And to Scorpsfan for providing us all with a little insight on his brother and their dad, and the profound impact their dad played in their lives and the lives of family members who's sons, brothers, and fathers have been killed in the defense of this great nation.

I too (being an Army vet myself), salute all the fallen heros in past wars and conflicts...I also salute my dad (a Vietnam vet) and my brother (a Marine vet) for their contributions in the aid of our Country, and to all the vets at VFW clinics who especially deserve all our thanks and appreciation for the sacrifices they made.

But on this Memorial Day, we all need to show our support for all our men and women in uniform who are in harm's way overseas, and to all those still stationed here on our own shores defending our freedom and our way of life, so that maybe our children will have a brighter future and hopefully experience world peace.

One of the most stirring gut wrenching sights you can witness is Taps bugled followed by a 21 gun salute and then the presentation of the shell casings and the folded flag to the next of kin of one of our fallen hero's. If that does not pull the tears from your eyes you are not human IMO. The sacrifice paid by the members of our armed forces is immeasurable. I encourage all of you, if you are presented with an opportunity to interact with our Service members on a personal level please do so you will never regret it. These are truly amazing young men and women.