Memorial Day...Never Forgotton

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When ever I am in a parking and see an ex POW or Cong med of honor license plate, I write a quick little thank you note and put it on there windshield.

Last fall we burried my uncle who was a WW2 vet. They had a full color guard of young marines doing the 21 gun, taps, and flag cerimony at the grave site. I thought it was odd, since usually it is old guys from the VFW doing this. Afterwards I mentioned this to my dad and he told me that my uncle was one of the Iwa Jima marines. I never knew that.

JM

That's exactly the point of Brokaw's books. So many of these great patriots were so humble, never complaining, just doing their duty to their country. Many never told their stories to even close family. That speaks volumes for the bravery and honor of these soldiers, but it is sad that many of their stories go to the grave with them.

If you see a vet- thank them. I'm becoming a firm believer in that.

And not to get too political here, but please vote whenever you get the chance. That is one of our great liberties that these brave souls fought for. Please don't let their ultimate sacrifice be in vain.

I have not seen a congressional medal of honor licenseplate ever..... and I am 21 years old.... maybe its just me.

On the otherhand, colterphoter, I believe that the horrors that the Veterans seen makes them not want to tell their story. I mean if I were to ever goto a battle and have to shoot in fear of being killer myself I would not ever want to write about it. I have the deepest respect for having the these veterans giving part of their lives or the ultimate sacarafice in order to do their civic duty when America decides to goto war.

I also believe that to be true, about vets not wanting to tell their war stories. My dad for example...he always looked back at his Army career with great fondness, and always had interesting stories to share concerning Army life, living in Europe, and traveling the world.

But he has never shared a single experience concerning his tour in 'Nam, where he was stationed, what he saw or did, or about his buddies who never made it back home. Actually, I can only recall one moment he has mentioned once...being in back of a moving Deuce-and-a-Half and throwing a live grenade into a rice patty for the hell of it (or so he says to us)...that's it.

When visiting the EAA museum, they have a neat exhibit where they had old war pilots talking about there flying days. They realize these people and there stories will all be gone soon so they are preserving them. www.timelessvoices.org is the site where you can see them.

I do have one story about my uncle, it was when I was 13 or 14 and just starting to hunt. This was in the days before blaze orange cloths. We were hunting on public land when he saw a deer out in a clearing. Behind the deer in the tree line in the distace he saw another hunter with his rifle pointed in his direction. My uncle completely lost it seening a gun pointed in his direction. I can not even begin to describe the way he acted and what he said. I believe he thought he was back in the war. I will never ever forget that day. My uncle never again went hunting.

JM

I have another story from an older man at my flying club that goes good in this thread..

About few years back a bunch of us were at the airport and a P51 was landing. One of the older gentlemen made a statement that the sound of the P51 merlin engine is the best sound ever. I think everyone likes the distinct sound of that engine, but he then went into this story....

He was a young boy in WW2, I can't remember the country he is from. He told me that when the night time bombings happened he was so scared. As a boy hearing the bombs not knowing if his house was next, I can only imagine how scared this little boy was, knowing how scared my kids get at night in bad weather. Anyhow, he told us that after the Americans came in and pushed out the Germans we set up an airstrip on the edge of his city. Every night he could hear P51s taking off and landing. With the sound of that engine, he knew he was safe and would sleep in peace.

JM

• Moderators

...thanks everyone for taking the time and responding...and thank you Klipsch for allowing me to place this here...mostly THANKS to ALL the Veterans who have sacrificed so that we might enjoy Freedom...

Bill

Thank you for for the post. I finally had a chance to read this thread and it is very inspiring.

The wife sleeping at her husband's side one last time is a reminder of how short our time with our loved ones can be.

I appreciate all of you sharing and showing your love of our country.

Dtel and I had visited Washington, D.C. a few years ago, and had the honor of a VIP tour through the city. It was so moving.

We visited Arlington National Cemetary, witnessed the changing of the guard and visited some of the more notable gravesites. One of which was the Challenger Memorial. Extremely moving.

The story of Arlington should be an inspiration to every American.

Although all of the monuments are impressive, the Vietnam Memorial moved me to tears. The wall itself is beautiful. Each of those names on the wall has a family that stood behind them and grieves the loss of their loved one daily. It is truly awesome.

The notes and gifts left at the wall are heart wrenching.

American Chopper built a "POW" bike. The group from OCC visited the Vietnam Memorial and even Paul, Sr. was moved. We attended "The Pony Express" (a motorcycle show) at the University of New Orleans, where OCC unveiled the POW bike.

Like the 911 motorcyle (a tribute to the fallen firefighters of 911), the POW motorcyle is not one of their "flashiest" motorcycles, but it does get the message across.

Again, thanks for the post, it is a great reminder for all of us to be thankful for the priviledges we do have as citizens of the United States of America.

While I never tasted combat, I was ready to go. I do know

the feeling of having weapons, gas masks and gear issued, packed and the base

locked down waiting for the orders to come from the President to board the

aircraft and go into harms way. This was in 1978, Jimmy Carter was President

and Edie Amiene (sp) was in charge of a tiny country called Zaire. After 2

or 3 days and much saber rattling, the order to stand down came. I dont

remember being scared, only the feeling of whats next?

For many years I considered myself a second class veteran

as I never saw combat and could not say that I did. This changed about two

years ago when I was introduced to Sergeant Major Wilson. He had served several

tours of combat and as a veterans counselor he could relate. It seems that

there are many vets who also have the same feelings about their service to our

country. He showed me that though I had never fired a shot in anger, I was willing

and prepared to go and he was sure that if the situation had called for it, I

would have done my duty. He passed a little over a year ago and he is indeed

deeply missed.

I bring this up not for any glory or pats on the back,

rather as I learned from him, there were thousands of vets who felt and feel

the way I did and if you are one of them, we can talk if you chose to. I am no

longer a second class vet and you are not either.

Cal, first off, Thank you for your Service!...next, I agree wholeheartedly...to me it doesn't matter if you were the front line "Tip of the Spear" or back on base cook...if you were in and contributing you made the machine work...for everything I have and am, I thank you and those like you..."damn few left!"

Dtel's wife...thanks for sharing your story...thanks to all who chimed in and remembered our Service people...they cannot die as long as we remember...Bill

While I never tasted combat, I was ready to go. I do know the feeling of having weapons, gas masks and gear issued, packed and the base locked down waiting for the orders to come from the President to board the aircraft and go into harms way. This was in 1978, Jimmy Carter was President and Edie Amiene (sp) was in charge of a tiny country called <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 />Zaire. After 2 or 3 days and much saber rattling, the order to stand down came. I dont remember being scared, only the feeling of whats next?

<?xml:namespace prefix = o />

For many years I considered myself a second class veteran as I never saw combat and could not say that I did. This changed about two years ago when I was introduced to Sergeant Major Wilson. He had served several tours of combat and as a veterans counselor he could relate. It seems that there are many vets who also have the same feelings about their service to our country. He showed me that though I had never fired a shot in anger, I was willing and prepared to go and he was sure that if the situation had called for it, I would have done my duty. He passed a little over a year ago and he is indeed deeply missed.

I bring this up not for any glory or pats on the back, rather as I learned from him, there were thousands of vets who felt and feel the way I did and if you are one of them, we can talk if you chose to. I am no longer a second class vet and you are not either.

Cal, you never were a "second class vet", it's a shame you felt that way. The taste of combat is a taste I could live without, and a taste that our children must live without. I don't feel my tour of duty in Viet Nam makes me more of a vet than you Sir. Any man or woman that is in a combat situation and says they aren't scared, are lying................Never Forget our MIA's and POW's.....they want to come home, too.

I as a civilian and never served (thankful) believe that anyone who goes through basic and is prepared for war has served their country. I remember before September 11, getting an Army Scholorship was basically a done deal, knowing that we were in peace. Now its was a bit different when I applied to college (2003). Besides the army does not make second class soldiers and definitely not second class veterans. Anyone who is willing to fight a war that America goes to fight with is FIRST Rate in my book.

Like Cal, I served in the USAF from 1978 - 1982 on the top of a mountain in Germany. I was an air traffic controller tracking fighter missions at night (F16's), and close air support recons (A10's) during the day. I never served during wartime... although I would have done so willingly if called upon. I had a great time in the service, and the freindships you make while in are some of the best you will ever have. There is nothing like the camaraderie of the Military! For those of you who served you know exactly what I mean.

Thanks for posting this Bill, and thank you for serving our great country.

Mike

PS... I see you got one of the pics from Corvetteforum. Do you own one yourself? If so, what do you have? I am luvmy92 on that Forum but haven't been very active of late.

silversport over there as well...2001 Silver (of course) C-5...life long dream...(well since about 1966 when I saw a neighbor get one during the "car wars" in the nieghborhood...all the of age males buying muscle cars and the like until "he" bought the Corvette...that was it...thank you for your Service!...Bill

• 11 months later...

It's been 35 years or so since the draft ended. It's been a all volunteer gray military service. We use the term gray, to express the sense of the "team" all the uniform services make working together as one.

A volunteer military service system as successful as it has been, has not been with out cost...the loss of human lives.

As a 20 year veteran, I celebrate this weekend in the memory of those who were left behind, and could not be here amoung us to share in the freedoms they have safe guarded.

The losses have been many, close and dear, but never forgotton.

post-22082-13819334136186_thumb.jpg