Night out on Bourbon Street

............Like I said "What happens on Bourbon Street stays on Bourbon Street!". [;)] [<:o)].............

An old buddy of mine "dropped a street pizza" on Bourbon Street many years ago. I hope it's gone by now.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can't say I'm a big fan of making a public spectical of myself, but it has been know to happen on very rare occasions, [:$]. Last time was few years ago at the beach, ooooh, just gives me the willy's thinkin about that one. However, I love good food and I love to eat at the Court of Two Sisters. I eat there everytime I visit the Big Easy, but it's been about 4 years since my last visit there.

• Moderators

Sounds like you had a blast. Every now and then you do have to cut loose or you will go crazy and getting a little crazy in New Orleans sounds like just the ticket to continued sanity.

I've been in over 20 coutnries yet I've never mad it to New Orleans, stange huh?

Oh well I'll see if I can get Fini on board and we'll show up one of these days in our "Wild and Crazy Guys" outfits from Saturday Night Live and teach the locals how to really boogie down.

So who ran out of dollar bills at the "Gentleman's Club" first, you or Dtel?[:D]

Well said Thebes, as always. We did have a blast. Definitely the ticket to continued sanity.

Things have been extremely hectic here since Katrina. It is a good thing we have a five bedroom house. Nine people living here can be challenging. Just coordinating dinner is a chore.

We would love to have any of you guys visit whenever you are ready. We can make hotel arrangements. Maybe all stay in the Quarter, since that is something we put on the agenda. You don't have to wait on Fini to pay a visit, that is unless he is a willing participant. BTW, IMO, Mardis Gras is definitely not the time to take in Bourbon Street. So crowded you can't even walk.

I love music and I love dancing, so Bourbon Street is a "natural".

Who said anything about $1 dollar bills?[;)]

• Moderators

Can't say I'm a big fan of making a public spectical of myself, but it has been know to happen on very rare occasions, [:$]. Last time was few years ago at the beach, ooooh, just gives me the willy's thinkin about that one. However, I love good food and I love to eat at the Court of Two Sisters. I eat there everytime I visit the Big Easy, but it's been about 4 years since my last visit there.

I have never been to the Court of Two Sisters.

I am not a big fan of making a spectical of myself either, but Bourbon Street just seems the appropriate place to do it, if you must. Everyone else is making a spectical of themselves, so you just fit right in. Kinda like, "When in Rome..."

After "hugging a few trees in the rain" in my younger days, I try not to drink too much. Those well learned lessons keep me within "acceptable" limits when on Bourbon Street.[;)]

Can you still drink absinthe in New Orleans? If so and you know where to go to drink some, drop me a PM[:D]

It's really too bad most places have turned into multi colored dacari bars. Still is a very fun place.

The last time I was in Ricks on Burbon St, the ATM had an $8 service charge, OUCH. Never got upstairs....

I would love to go back to New Orleans, but not during Mardi gras (way to busy) or in the heat and humid summer as I do not do well in humidity.

I always try to see Bryan Lee play when I am in town. I just love his blues.

JM

The "absinthe" sold in New Orleans is not true absinthe, which has been illlegal in this country for many years. The ingrediant wormwood was what got it outlawed. I think it is still possible to order "real' absinthe over the Net.

The best times to visit NO are in early spring, like the April French Quarter Fest just past, and October. FQ Fest is the most 'family friendly' of the festivals. There are various festivals throughout the year. Satchmo Summerfest, coming up in August, is an attempt to lure tourists during the deep heat of late summer. I hear it's great for those seeking jazz without the scale of JazzFest.

www.neworleanscvb.com

If anyone wants to PM me, I will be glad to give other recommendations. I need to get in a trip there myself, it is now looking like July at the earliest.

OOOOOHHHH YEHHHH, Bourbon Street during Mardi Gras! The streets and sidewalks sticky from the spilled beer and hurricanes, [D] drunks urinating in the alleys and doorways, trash piled to the eaves, and partygoers [<:o)] vomiting everywhere!! Man, I LOVE that place! [:D] Seriously, a Bourbon Street visit during Mardi Gras is a must if you've never done it, after that definitely go at another time.

I fly into New Orleans at least once a month and go downtown at times but haven't been to Bourbon St. since the hurricanes last year....... It's time to party![<:o)]

• Moderators

The "absinthe" sold in New Orleans is not true absinthe, which has been illlegal in this country for many years. The ingrediant wormwood was what got it outlawed. I think it is still possible to order "real' absinthe over the Net.

The best times to visit NO are in early spring, like the April French Quarter Fest just past, and October. FQ Fest is the most 'family friendly' of the festivals. There are various festivals throughout the year. Satchmo Summerfest, coming up in August, is an attempt to lure tourists during the deep heat of late summer. I hear it's great for those seeking jazz without the scale of JazzFest.

www.neworleanscvb.com

If anyone wants to PM me, I will be glad to give other recommendations. I need to get in a trip there myself, it is now looking like July at the earliest.

Boom is right. Even the Old Absinthe House doesn't serve the "real" thing.

We had planned to go back in July, as we will be taking a few extra days of R&R before and after our trip to Hope.

http://www.nps.gov/jela/pphtml/activities.html

Many people don't know there is a National Historical park in the French Quarter. If you'd like to take a free walking tour and get the real history, go to the Park headquarters at 419 Decatur and take the tour which starts at 9:30. Space is limited, so being there by 9 am is strongly suggested. You will get the real story of the Quarter, not the BS the buggy drivers or 'haunted' tours spew out. The entrance to the park building from the sidewalk is through a long carriageway, (tunnel) when you get to the courtyard hang a sharp left and that's the entrance to the visitor's center. The center has exhibits, a gift shop, and from time to time has folklife programs of music, crafts and cooking.

• Moderators

Most people do not realize the many sights and sounds of New Orleans. We always speak of Bourbon Street and the French Quarter. New Orleans is much more than the Quarter and Bourbon.

The Audubon Zoo and the Aquarium, as well as IMAX recently reopened and have added several new exhibits. Our zoo and aquarium are among the best in the country.

You can combine a riverboat ride on the Mississippi with a tour of the Zoo and Aquarium. Riverboats even offer couples the opportunity to have thier wedding and receptions on board, complete with all amenities.

The history of the French Quarter is in a class by itself. The French and Spanish cultures combined to create some of the most outstanding architectural structures in the United States.

The Cornstalk Hotel in the Quarter, known for its elaborate wrought iron fencing is another visitor's spot. Wrought iron fencing in every shape and form is as much a part of the history of New Orleans, as the Quarter.

The Cabildo, Jackson Square, the Mint, the St. Louis Cathedral, the Jax Brewery, the Riverwalk among other attractions offer a wonderful vacation destination for families.

The World War II museum (I believe that is the proper name for the newest museum, or maybe it's D-Day Museum), The Children's Museum, City Park all cater to families. New Orleans also has several other museums worthy of checking into.

A tour of plantation homes along historic River Road offer families the opportunity to experience another aspect of our city, without the revel associated with Bourbon Street.

The small courtyards visible from the sidewalks of the Quarter reveal a another lifestyle enjoyed by those who reside in the Quarter. Small, beautifully landscaped courtyards appear throughout the Quarter.

A tour of the Garden District in uptown New Orleans, accessible by street car is another wonderful tour. The Garden District was not affected by Katrina.

IMO a trip to New Orleans would not be complete without witnessing the night life on Bourbon Street, for adults only. I think most would feel they missed something if they didn't go to Bourbon Street at night, at least once.

thanks dtels wife for adding more detail...I get on a roll and I try to stop myself from evangelizing too much aout my hometown...but it needs all it can get!

The "steam piano" is called a calliope. The instrument is prounounced kall-LYE-O-pee;

the New Orleans street of the same spelling is pronounced kally-OPP (long "o" sound, as heard in "rope", not "opp" as heard in "oppenheimer")

• 3 weeks later...

I agree - we need to make a New Orleans night, Klipsch fan style. It would be so great to meet all of you after hearing so much about their new friends, like I said before, more like an e-family. I hope you all enjoy the Pilgrimage and have a great time together. Yes, Uncle E you do have to wake up early, so go get some beauty rest.

Never been to New Orleans but I'd like to see it at least once. Living an hour away from Orlando (Church Street Station, Disney, Universal, Sea World, et al) has kinda burned me out on tourist destinations, plus the fact that I worked out at the Magic Kingdom for 17 years...but a change in destination would definately be a good thing, and downtown Orlando's nightlife is also spectacular!

Like when I was stationed in Germany during the mid '80s, I managed to party in Muenchen (Munich) several times during their OcktoberFest celebrations...it may not be quite as wild as Mardi Gras, but flesh is flashed from time to time...heh!

If y'all go to Bourbon Street for a Klipsch meet, watch out...you never know what just might pop out in front of you![:|]

post-11084-13819300755482_thumb.jpg

Uh, Jay...I think I'm misunderstanding you. No one would want to see ME flashing the fine folks at a Bourbon Street Klipsch meet (they'd pay me real money to put my clothes back on)! Plus Klipsch doesn't make a decal big enough for...well, you know (heh)![6]