will this work?

I own an older marantz receiver, model 2275. It was purchased in the mid to late 70's. I inherited it. It has been stored away for the last20 years or so. It seems to kick pretty good. I am curious if it is clean enough to power a pair of Cornwalls or maybe even a pair of Klipschorns. What do you think?

tom b. 57

what would give you the impression it cannot?

The cornwalls use very little wattage to get loud, in speaker world the bigger the box thre more efficent. Cornwalls and Klipsch do demand clean wattage and high current though. Give it a try!

Cornwalls do not require high current, that's the whole point of a high efficiency loudspeaker. 1 watt = 1 amp at 1 volt.

An 8-ohm Cornwall circuit should have about the same current at any given wattage input as any other 8-ohm speaker, but it will produce more sound than less efficient speakers.

Tom, I play my Cornwalls with both low-power tube amplification and high-power solid state, and they sound great with both. They should work well with your Marantz.

Tom- Give the Marantz a shot. I used a MAC 1900 receiver with the Cornwalls and Heresies and the result was amazingly good. The Cornwalls really worked well.

You should expect the same from the 75 watt per channel Marantz. If my memory serves me well (sometimes-lol) that receiver has the cool blue lights and a midrange control so you can tweak the sound. Enjoy!!

what would give you the impression it cannot?

The cornwalls use very little wattage to get loud, in speaker world the bigger the box thre more efficent. Cornwalls and Klipsch do demand clean wattage and high current though. Give it a try!

Cornwalls do not require high current, that's the whole point of a high efficiency loudspeaker. 1 watt = 1 amp at 1 volt.

An 8-ohm Cornwall circuit should have about the same current at any given wattage input as any other 8-ohm speaker, but it will produce more sound than less efficient speakers.

Tom, I play my Cornwalls with both low-power tube amplification and high-power solid state, and they sound great with both. They should work well with your Marantz.

when I mean high current I mean it supplies enough power, unlike some companies that claim they produce 200 watts of power yet cannot step down to 6 or 4 ohms.... I mean all speakers should have a good power supply given to them.

You might look up our resident Marantz freak, Tuned4life. Either Search for his posts or look him up and send a PM. He has an installation of I think 4 of the larger Marantz receivers and could probably tell you a lot about yours.

Michael

when I mean high current I mean it supplies enough power, unlike some companies that claim they produce 200 watts of power yet cannot step down to 6 or 4 ohms.... I mean all speakers should have a good power supply given to them.

Probably easier to say a quality amp that can drive a low-impedance load.

http://www.classic-audio.com/marantz/2275.html

produced from 1974 thru 1977. I always liked the tuner wheel on the Marantz line. the above link specs out 75 watts per channel at 8 ohms. while I would use this with one set of cornwalls, khorns, lascala's, or hersey's, I would not put a second set of speakers on this amp if you elec to use the heritage line of speakers (4 ohm woofer).. I would recommend you check if this unit can drive a 2 ohm load....before putting 2 pairs of heritage speakers or one set of heritage speakers and any other 8 ohm speaker system.