Horns in the new RF5/RF7 and aragon.

YCklipsch

This is a question for BobG.

Is it the same horn being used in the coming RF5 and RF7 model?

If not, what is frequency response of the horn in the RF5?

What is the "tappered" cross-over being mentioned in the new models?

BTW is there any plan to introduce digital amplifier and active cross-over (or pure digital chain from any digital source to home EQ to digital cross-over to amp speaker) in the future product since you guy just purphase the aragon?

Please entertain.

BobG is out of town so you get JimG.

I'm not sure which question you are asking as far as the horn being the same, so I'll answer both possibilities. The horn in the new RF-5 and RF-7 will be the same for both models. That horn is a new design that is not currently in use in any of our products. It is basically a scaled up and tweaked version of the horn currently used in all the Reference products. We generically refer to that current Reference horn as the 6" horn, while the new one is being called the 8" horn. Calling them 6" and 8" horns is just how we typically (and somewhat inaccurately) refer to the rough size of the horn "face". Both horns are Tractrix. I cannot give you the frequency response as the new models have not been through final "voicing" yet.

As for Tapered Array crossovers, that is a design we use that first showed up in the RC-3 center channel. It is simply a variation (if you will) on a three-way design. The lower woofer plays only in the bass range, while the upper woofer (playing bass too) plays all the way up to the midrange crossover point to "meet" the horn's low-end response. It provides improvements in many areas including vertical dispersion and also in off-axis response, hence its debut in a center channel.

Obviously, given the public forum of this bulletin board, I can't say much of anything regarding our plans for Mondial or any future products at this time. If BobG chooses to say anything otherwise, I'll let him do it when he gets back. Sorry!

Jim

Cabinet dimensions are not available, but RF-5 will be similar to RF-3 in width and depth but taller by about 4",

RF-7 will be similar in size to KLF-20 but a bit narrower.

RF-3 does not use tapered array network. Both woofers handle the full range of bass information and both woofers share the ported cabinet.

BobG is back in the USA

thanks bobg! if the rf-5 isn't more than 1" wider i could definitely squeeze that in. would the new rc-7 be a good match w/ the rf-5 or would I want to keep my rc-3? iwo, is the rc-7 really just for use w/ the rf-7?

also, maybe it's just me, but i could swear that the rf-3 bottom woof puts out more lower bass while the upper woof seems to put out more midrange.

------------------

RF-3 (front), RC-3, Cornwall I (rear)

Velodyne HGS-18 sub

Monsterbass 400 sub cables & Monster Z-12 wire

Sony de935 a/v receiver

Sony DVP-C650D dvdp

Sony Trinitron 27" tv

Technics dual cassette deck

Technics direct drive turntable

Scientific Atlanta Explorer 2000 digital cable box

rock on!

Hi boa12 and bobG:

You say the lower woofer has higher output, is that the same for both speaker?

I was very tempted to buy the RF-3 a month ago, but since the news of the RF5 broke out, I am willing to hold off for a few months. BTW, my new house won't be completed till the middle of this year, it might be just the right timing for me.

Another question for BobG, from the information I have read, the RF-5 probably will has a tweeter/woofer crossover at below 1K, is that true?

Please entertain.

Thanks

Though I don't have final dimensions on the new models, I believe that the RF-5 will fit. Also, you should keep your RC-3 as it will be a great match for RF-5. RC-7 is a killer designed to match RF-7 and RS-7. BTW, those RS-7's will be of interest to those who thought they couldn't live without KSP-S6.

The crossover for the RF-5 will be a 2.5 way network with one woofer dropping out pretty low with the other running up to the tweeter. Don't yet have the optimal point chosen, but it probably will not be as low as 1K. this is done by ear after using all the technical guidelines. We find the ear to be the ultimate test.

hey yc. i was thinking the rf-3 bottom woof had more lower bass output while the upper had more midrange, but it's i guess just an illusion - when I put my ear down there of course the high horn is blasting my ear closer to the upper woof biggrin.gif

bobg, i started thinking after I asked about the rc-7 that it was a dumb question because it sounds like the rc-7, rf-7 & rf-5 will all have the same new 8" horn. so wouldn't the 5

horn still match well w/ the rc-7 horn. maybe not - if u say so I won't spend the extra $ for an rc-7 smile.gif maybe i can even squeeze in a rf-7 to solve the problem smile.gif

anxious to see the new dimensions & get out the tape measurer.

BobG is actually referring to the fact that the RF-5 will have the 1" titanium dome from the RF-3 behind its horn while the RC-7 will share the RF-7's 1.7" titanium dome compression driver. So, yes the RC-7 and RF-5 will have the same 8" horn but they will have different motors behind them. The intention is to voice the RC-7 to work with either the RF-5 or RF-7. The obvious benefits of using a RC-7 as opposed to an RC-3 would be the fact that the 7 offers much greater and deeper bass response (it's ported and uses 8" woofs vs. 6.5") and it is about 3dB hotter in output. Since final voicing has not been completed yet, I can't give you a definite answer but the goal is certainly to have the RC-7 sound good with either the RF-5 or RF-7. Your RC-3 could become a great rear center speaker for 6.1! Ultimately, you'll have to listen to an RC-7 and make the decision yourself. You really won't be wrong either way.

Jim

thanks jim. will give them a listen.

------------------

RF-3 (front), RC-3, Cornwall I (rear)

Velodyne HGS-18 sub

Monsterbass 400 sub cables & Monster Z-12 wire

Sony de935 a/v receiver

Sony DVP-C650D dvdp

Sony Trinitron 27" tv

Technics dual cassette deck

Technics direct drive turntable

Scientific Atlanta Explorer 2000 digital cable box