KG 4.5?

jheis

Thanks to a "heads up" from new forum member Capa, I bought a pair of KG 4.5s from Goodwill in SF. Haven't picked them up yet.

I've got a pair of '88 KG 2s (which I also bought without knowing anything about them), but I don't know anything about KG 4.5's (other than the spec's posted on the Klipsch site).

Anyone have any experience with the KG 4.5? I'd be interested in what folks think of this speaker - good, bad or indifferent.

James

I don't know what the .5 means, but I do know that the KG4 is a very underrated speaker. A very good enter level Klipsch speaker, the only drawbacks, mid range performance, and they reach a certain level of output quicker than the rest of the Heritage line. A two-way speaker that likes a sub, and will hold it's own against larger, and more expensive speaker systems. First series was 4 ohm, mine are 6 ohms.

Click on (products)-(discontinued)-(floorstand)-then go to the second page and you will see his 4.5 and my 4.2 speakers.

Thanks for the info, they are a little different than the 4's, and 8 ohms , and looks like one is passive radiator, and one is ported, interesting.

In the KG lineup, moving from the KG4 to 4.2 was a change from Exponential to Tractrix horn, then to 4.5 moved from passive radiator to ported bass reflex design. So the 4 and 4.5 are pretty drastically different speakers imho.

Same thing in the 5 series 5.2 was passive and Tractix, 5.5 was ported.

Well, had a "scheduled" power outage today, so I figured I might as well bag the day and drive into San Francisco and pick up my Goodwill KG 4.5s.

Initial impression was that - while all the feet are missing, the cabinets are a bit beat up, and they had them sitting upsidedown - they're in better shape than I expected. No pushed in dust covers & the woofers look perfect. As the Irish carpenter on Fawlty Towers used to say, "lick'a paint, lick'a paint" and Bob's your uncle. Fortunately the grills are in unexpectedly good condition aside from the (minor) requisite candle wax. So, after a good vacuuming I hooked them up with guarded optimisim.

Initial reaction - not good. Nothing at all out of one Tractrix horn and nothing but static out of the other. After a few minutes the staticy horn started working and now seems fine. The other horn, however, remains dead. I popped it out and stuck a digital multi-meter across the leads & its got voltage to it, so I guess I've got a fried diaphram (or driver - I'm not sure I understand the difference).

Any comments on my diagnosis? Anyone know if the parts are available/ cost?

James