QSC rocks the ole Chorus II's

stormin

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't doubt you for a second, but Aragon thus far has been my favorite amp...(which means I might have to get a new favorite). I wonder what the differences are between the various Aragon models. I forget the models I heard that I liked, but I'm pretty sure it wasn't a 4004.

Doc:

I assume you may be coming the first week of August to our St. Louis Klipsch get together? If so, I have two QSC PLXs, and you will be able to hear them in my system - one runs my Altec Valencias - and other my bass bin for the Belles. Additionally, I am bringing at least one of my QSCs over to Sheltie Dave's - when we will swap out prepros and amps and hypothetically we could try the QSC on: 63 Khorns (ALK jrs.), Vertical Cornwalls, Khorns (AK-3), Heresy IIs, RF 7s (DeanG), RF83s, JBL L110s, and Altec VOTTs. [H][:D]

Carl.

What is the peak output voltage of the Scott 130? Most pro gear requires 24V to achieve maximum output.

You of course won't be running at max output and don't need all the voltage, but at the same time you will probably have a lower noise floor and better impedance match if it can come close.

If it sounds funky, then there are some adapters that can be purchased from Radio Shack to get the voltage correct.

The post above reminds me -- I've only heard the QSC PLX with a tube preamp in front of it -- I'm not sure what I would think of it with a solid state pre. A note on the 4004 MK II -- it is a good sounding amp, and it's also an amp that is now almost 20 years old. It probably isn't really fair to make a comparison against an amp using newer technology that's in its third generation. Still, I've been through a lot of amps over the years, and when I first fired up the QSC it put a really big grin on my face. I was impressed enough with the sound that I joined the QSC forum just so I could sign on and tell Bob Lee what a ground breaking product I thought it was.

What is the peak output voltage of the Scott 130? Most pro gear requires 24V to achieve maximum output.

I've been thinking about picking up a Scott #130 pretty cheap now but if it would not be an excellent match with these Pro amps then to heck with that idea. http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?preatube&1154633746

24Volts......? Thanks for that information, just another piece of the puzzle for me. A powerful Crown or QSC is almost certainly in my future to light a fire under these Rf-7's.

I an too intrigued with this whole thread. It might be cost effective over other "hometheater" amps. I would like to know which is better though, qsc or crown? there is that age old debate. I was thinking the new Crown xTI 4000 for a subwoofer and the PLX2 1802 for the rf-83 but the thing is, you really cannot use both and stack them as the crown is front to back and the qsc is back to front! The QSC has better specs but the Crown has better options and functions

If I'm not mistaken some time ago Dean made the comment that his QSC at the time had "more bite" than the crown he was using at the time. I take it he may have meant it sounded more "crisp" not softened, that's just the way I understand it.

I didn't but the crown has it beat on options especially the built in eq, crossover, subharmonic harmonizer ....... damn..... I wish the qsc had all those then it would be a no brainer but the new crown has better options for being a subwoofer amp. I know the QSC is better spec wise though and has a bit more power (3602)

Dean, my friend, you bring up a good point. I have not really heard these PLXs that much in front of a solid state pre (alas my love of tubes on the front end), but based on the various solid state amps I have had in here - I think they will do very well. We have the Classe ss prepro to listen at my place with the QSC, and I've confirmed with Dave that we will also have some ss pres at the amp shootout so that people can hear some sonic differences between tubes and ss on the front end.

I love the QSCs over most ss I have ever heard, but given the choice of only one amp to run period - I would have to choose a nice pushpull tube amp. I would certainly take VRDs or my beloved Marantz 8B over QSCs, given only one amp to choose. I ultimately prefer the richness (and some other characteristics) that only finer tube amps can bring.

But, that being said, the QSC is a nice amp, and it truly surprised me the first time I heard it. And better to my ears sonically than some "hometheater" amps - no question.

Carl.

And better to my ears sonically than some "hometheater" amps Carl.

Ouch. So basically the PLX series is good for either subwoofers or tv(Hometheater). Thats not how i see it with this SRA series. But then again higher grade parts and closer tolerances usually do lead to better designs. Cant recommend the PLX series i have never heard it.

As far as how these folks feel about preamps. The SRA series works nicely with either. But these are my ears and my opinions driving chorus II's in my listening room. I'm having fun and enjoying the tunes and really thats what its all about to me.