QSC rocks the ole Chorus II's

stormin

The post above reminds me -- I've only heard the QSC PLX with a tube preamp in front of it -- I'm not sure what I would think of it with a solid state pre. A note on the 4004 MK II -- it is a good sounding amp, and it's also an amp that is now almost 20 years old. It probably isn't really fair to make a comparison against an amp using newer technology that's in its third generation. Still, I've been through a lot of amps over the years, and when I first fired up the QSC it put a really big grin on my face. I was impressed enough with the sound that I joined the QSC forum just so I could sign on and tell Bob Lee what a ground breaking product I thought it was.

Dean,

I am using a Sony digitally amplified receiver (STRA DA5000ES) as a pre and a QSC PLX1202 power amp and teh combo is outstanding. I prefer teh Peach, but teh receiver and QSC are a great match.

To anyone who is considering a QSC, you would do very well to check out the original PLX Series at Musician's Friend. They have some realy good deals right now. The PLX 1802, at 300 wpc at 8 ohms, plenty of power for horns and them some, is only $579 with free shipping.

Chris

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

cjgeraci:

And better to my ears sonically than some "hometheater" amps Carl.

Ouch. So basically the PLX series is good for either subwoofers or tv(Hometheater). Thats not how i see it with this SRA series. But then again higher grade parts and closer tolerances usually do lead to better designs. Cant recommend the PLX series i have never heard it.

As far as how these folks feel about preamps. The SRA series works nicely with either. But these are my ears and my opinions driving chorus II's in my listening room. I'm having fun and enjoying the tunes and really thats what its all about to me.

No.

What I was trying to convey with my comment was that the QSC PLX series works even better with horns (for music) than some higher priced, solid-state, multichannel consumer amps out there - at least to my ears. Some people who add separate multichannel ss amps add them due to benefits with musical passages (SACD/DVD-Audio) as opposed to just HT. After all, if HT is your main focus, there are some nice quality receivers that will fit the bill nicely with horns.

I did not mean to imply that the PLX was good only for either subs or HT. In fact, both of my PLXs are used in my main system, which is 95% music and 5% movies, and these amps even put some tube amps to shame - relative to horns.

You continue to laud the SRA series as being superior to the pro PLX series. I also cannot confirm or deny any sonic differences (or not) between the two lines because I have never heard the SRA series. I can say that the fan noise is negligible even with the stock fans, and I have no qualms about run this particular pro amp in a home setting.

When researching QSC amps last year, I also recall comments of those purportedly knowledgeable about the respective amps that believed that QSC just rebadged most of the PLX technology, removed the fans - and tripled the price to attempt to appeal to some home audio consumers. Most felt there were not any sonic differences between the two amps. Perhaps even if there are some actual sonic advantages to the SRA series (other than the absence of a fan), it was this public perception that contributed to a lack of sales and the cancellation of the line.

Carl.

cjgeraci:

And better to my ears sonically than some "hometheater" amps Carl.

Ouch. So basically the PLX series is good for either subwoofers or tv(Hometheater). Thats not how i see it with this SRA series. But then again higher grade parts and closer tolerances usually do lead to better designs. Cant recommend the PLX series i have never heard it.

As far as how these folks feel about preamps. The SRA series works nicely with either. But these are my ears and my opinions driving chorus II's in my listening room. I'm having fun and enjoying the tunes and really thats what its all about to me.

No.

What I was trying to convey with my comment was that the QSC PLX series works even better with horns (for music) than some higher priced, solid-state, multichannel consumer amps out there - at least to my ears. Some people who add separate multichannel ss amps add them due to benefits with musical passages (SACD/DVD-Audio) as opposed to just HT. After all, if HT is your main focus, there are some nice quality receivers that will fit the bill nicely with horns.

Nice. I misunderstood.

I did not mean to imply that the PLX was good only for either subs or HT. In fact, both of my PLXs are used in my main system, which is 95% music and 5% movies, and these amps even put some tube amps to shame - relative to horns.

Wow. From a 2 channel tube enthusiast that is saying alot.

You continue to laud the SRA series as being superior to the pro PLX series. I also cannot confirm or deny any sonic differences (or not) between the two lines because I have never heard the SRA series. I can say that the fan noise is negligible even with the stock fans, and I have no qualms about run this particular pro amp in a home setting.

That would be Bob Lee who said better parts so i doubt its just a changed fan. And he also states the PLX series is the next closest thing you will find for home environment. I dont believe anyone was in more disbelief than Bob of the SRA demise.

When researching QSC amps last year, I also recall comments of those purportedly knowledgeable about the respective amps that believed that QSC just rebadged most of the PLX technology, removed the fans - and tripled the price to attempt to appeal to some home audio consumers. Most felt there were not any sonic differences between the two amps. Perhaps even if there are some actual sonic advantages to the SRA series (other than the absence of a fan), it was this public perception that contributed to a lack of sales and the cancellation of the line.

Well for a public percepted pro amp to cost 3 times more for the same power i can understand. Seems as you look around the folks that own them keep them.

Carl.

Just let me state i am not saying anything negative of the PLX line. My opinion wouldnt be worth anything since i've never actually heard one. If they do indeed sound like the SRA series then i would recommend one. The reason i purchased a QSC amp in the first place was from what i have heard here on the forum. Are they the end all in amplification,noway but they do sound good.

Randy

Some folks change stereo equipment as much as other folks change underwear. So not really that big of a question.

I am upto about once a month whether I need to or not.

LOL

That might be just a little too much information JB.