I didn't know what to say!

dtel

• Moderators

A couple weeks ago i was talking to my wife about wedding rings . The one she got 28 years ago was really cheap [no $ ] and we were looking at something better for her.

She was looking at rings with kind of a small diamond and i liked the ones with a little bigger diamond, it just looked better.

All she kept saying was i really don't want to spend that much money.

I told her you only need to do it once, and do you think if it was something I really wanted and we could afford it i wouldnt get it?

And then she said it:

I COULD GET KORNERHORNS FOR THAT PRICE

WHAT ! I just stood there with my mouth open, I diden't know what to say![:o]

That was it now she had to get the ring !

I figured after 28 years of my bs it's the least i could do.

Now save a little more $ and i can get her the other pair of things she really wants! [:D]

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

...I think it is really nice to hear such stories...my GF had a Sanyo all in one stereo system...AM-FM, turntable and I set her up with my mint Nakamichi TA-2A, nice Yamaha DVD for CDs and last night my mint B&O RX-2 turntable with new Ortofon Cart...she is currently listening through Paradigm Mini Monitor V3s...I tried to get her into the Klipsch RB-5s but the Paradigms are smaller, lighter (easier for her to move around on the endless room re-arraingments...[;)]) and I was REALLY surprized to hear how close these two speakers sounded at her listening levels...when cranked up high, the RB-5s ate the Paradigms up but at mid to low level...quite close...anyway,

You made my day with this story...[:D]

Bill

My 86 year old mom-in-law gave me the ring her husband owned for 50+ years and he never wore it. Nice slim gold band with carving like nothing on the market now days. After getting a job where I actually do something physically the ring had to come off, but it never really did bother me to wear one.

I hate wearing rings.

Am I weird?

You could be weird, but I wouldn't know that. I didn't wear my ring for a long time due to the job I had (repairing 3 phase motor controllers). I started wearing my wedding ring again after changing jobs almost ten years ago. It is now in safe keeping with the one my wife wore.

Bruce

• Moderators

LOL

I guess "weird" is a bad choice of words. I just never understood the value others place on jewlery...to me, they are just pretty rocks and shiny metal, but I don't need to wear them on my fingers or around my neck, especially at those prices. I guess I like to spend my money on things I can actually use. I know I'm in the minority from listening to my friends/co-workers/relatives ooh and ahhh over the size and price of their adornments.

To each their own.

LOL

I guess "weird" is a bad choice of words. I just never understood the value others place on jewlery...to me, they are just pretty rocks and shiny metal, but I don't need to wear them on my fingers or around my neck, especially at those prices. I guess I like to spend my money on things I can actually use. I know I'm in the minority from listening to my friends/co-workers/relatives ooh and ahhh over the size and price of their adornments.

To each their own.

Well Amy, I as well as the hundreds of other jewelers in the nation are glad that you are in the minority! [:D]

She doesn't seem to get it. Giving your bride expensive jewelry is supposed to be insurance in case you do the unthinkable and she ends up on the street. Same thing for dowaries: the bride's parents are supposed to keep them for the day that the husband no longer finds her atractive.

So what is she supposed to do when you come home with the young secretary from the office? Cary the Khorns on her back to the local woman's shelter?

Arg! Where is her Lawyer? She needs some advice! Didn't she insist on a pre-nuptual agreement?

LOL

To each their own.

some are artifically priced high like diamonds, I rather get a synthetic one (no not cubic zirconia, etc but a real man made diamond identical to the real one in all aspecs but it was made by man) They are cheaper, clearer, cleaner, can be bigger while retaining the 3 C's etc etc. De Beers is a diamond monopoly that artifically makes diamonds more then they are really worth. BTW diamonds are not really rare, its just any diamond naturally made past carat is. Heck most diamonds are using in industry to grind, polish, etc. I used it in my lab where we ground certain materials.

Though I do admit that I like the look of some metals. Hey, silver is very nice when just cleaned, and real gold (24kt) is might nice to look at.

Also Amy when you said " I guess I like to spend my money on things I can actually use." I do too! My brother brought a 5 thousand dollar IWC watch when he switched jobs (obviously a better one) but I brought the RF-83 and he goes what a waste..... I look at his wrist and then look at my cellphone for the time which is more accurate! [:P]

some are artifically priced high like diamonds, I rather get a synthetic one (no not cubic zirconia, etc but a real man made diamond identical to the real one in all aspecs but it was made by man) They are cheaper, clearer, cleaner, can be bigger while retaining the 3 C's etc etc. De Beers is a diamond monopoly that artifically makes diamonds more then they are really worth. BTW diamonds are not really rare, its just any diamond naturally made past carat is. Heck most diamonds are using in industry to grind, polish, etc. I used it in my lab where we ground certain materials.Though I do admit that I like the look of some metals. Hey, silver is very nice when just cleaned, and real gold (24kt) is might nice to look at.

Also Amy when you said " I guess I like to spend my money on things I can actually use." I do too! My brother brought a 5 thousand dollar IWC watch when he switched jobs (obviously a better one) but I brought the RF-83 and he goes what a waste..... I look at his wrist and then look at my cellphone for the time which is more accurate! [:P]

Fortunately DeBeers is losing its stranglehold on the worldwide diamond production every year. The Canadian Arctic diamond mines are a good example of this. And yes, if you were to take DeBeers out of the picture diamond prices would most definitely drop. But then they would be like the price of gas and fluctuate with every little whisper of news.

I personally love both audio equipment and watches. If you ever look into what goes into a watch like IWC or Rolex as far as the time and the complexity you'd be impressed. 200+ individual components hand made and hand assembled. They might not be the most accurate watches in the world but they are made based on time proven build techniques and design. Its like comparing a 1969 Corvette with a 2006 Z06. Sure the Z06 puts out much more power and gets better mileage than the 1969, but sometimes the latest and greatest isn't the most desirable by everyone.

A good example of that is that many members of this forum are powering their systems with tube equipment and listening to vinyl. A lot of people would look at ones who do that and think they're stupid since technology has "advanced" so much. It all depends on what you like best.

Me, I wear a Rolex (because I sell them), have Klipsch (because I love them) and drive a car with a 32 valve dohc V8 (because I love the sound/performance). I guess I like a little of everything! [:)]