RF 7's vs Chorus

rsp1068

I am a huge RF 7 fan. I am driving them with a VTL ST150 and the combo is beautiful.

I just today snatched a set of Chorus up, on the cheap, and will be picking them up Saturday.

Anyone owned both and able to help me with what I can expect to hear? Will I be replacing the 7's with the Chorus for 2 channel listening?

Haven't heard the RF-7's but own a pair of Chorus. I love mine, but they have been designated rears for a couple of years now. The Chorus are a 3-way and the RF-7's are a 2-way. I have always preferred the 3-way, but ymmv. [:D]

Hope you enjoy both... can't go wrong with either.

Mike

I have the old KG 4.2's, one of my friends has a pair of Chorus, and

another friend has the Chorus IIs. We have all listened to

multiple demos of the RF-7s and we have all come to the same

conclusion. None of us would ever buy RF-7s. They are

muddy and have a lousy low end. Not a music speaker for

sure. They are made to be used with a sub for movies. If

your new Choruses are in decent shape, you just might put the RF-7's on

ebay.

- d

It's just amazing what you read here! I totally disagree with VFTT about the RF-7's. I can only imagine that the multiple demos of time given to the RF-7's must have had been setup wrong in some way to come to those conclusions.

The RF-7's are excellent with music when setup proper with quality equipment. I know a client that has RF-7 and Chorus and loves both but told me he finds himself enjoying the RF-7's and spending more time listening to them but just can't part with his classic Chorus and enjoys listening to them from time to time. I have NEVER heard the RF-7's with a lousy low end! They both have the Klipsch classic sound, just a little different in it's presentation of sound but more alike than not.

I have both speakers and find myself in agreement with the post above. I tend to prefer the RF-7s. I would recommend a very serious break in of the RF-7s. I finaly resorted (after owning the RF-7s for several years) to using a 20Hz - 20KHz sine sweep, loud enough so I wore earplugs when entering the room with the speakers, for 16 hours (8 hours straight - 2 days in a row). The sine sweep was made for the purpose, dropping in amplitude at higher frequencies so as not to burn out the tweeter.

The Chorus-II can sound a bit more dynamic, but the RF-7s have a much cleaner high end, sound more natural, and go lower.

I listen to classical music mostly and have concentrated on string quartets and chamber. However, since the break in I find I prefer large orchestral works on the RF-7s also (and that's with only 3.5Watts of SET). Now and then I put on the Crown (20 or 30 Watts) and can get higher output if I want (which I almost never do). RF-7s hold together in the most complex passages where the Chorus-II gets a bit confusing. I'm currently listening to the Living Stereo Ein Heldenleben SACD.

An example of a difference at the low end: In Carry On by CSN&Y the bass is plucked in triplets. I can hear that on the RF-7s, but not the Chorus-II. Chorus-IIs, by the way, usually have the Crown as amp and RF-7s use the 4 Ohm output SET.

You'll enjoy both. I certainly do.

Leo

Maybe a little over the top, but my friends and I have listened to

multiple demos of the RF-7s and have never been impressed. I

alone have listened to them 4 different times at 3 different stores

(twice at the same store with different set ups). We are talking

about a $2200 set of speakers that IMO are just no where near worth the

money. There are just better speakers out there for that kind of

money. Period. This is coming from a long time Klipsch

fan. I have been listening to and loving Klipsch speakers for

nearly 20 years.

There is something to be said when you can go on ebay and buy 12 year

old Chorus IIs for $600 and even according to the RF-7 lovers the old

$600 speakers sound as good (in my ears better) than the $2200

RF-7s. You might really love your RF-7s, but I think you can't

see the forest for the trees. It is an issue that Klipsch needs

to address with their new speaker development.

- d

Maybe a little over the top, but my friends and I have listened to multiple demos of the RF-7s and have never been impressed. I alone have listened to them 4 different times at 3 different stores (twice at the same store with different set ups). We are talking about a $2200 set of speakers that IMO are just no where near worth the money. There are just better speakers out there for that kind of money. Period. This is coming from a long time Klipsch fan. I have been listening to and loving Klipsch speakers for nearly 20 years.

There is something to be said when you can go on ebay and buy 12 year old Chorus IIs for $600 and even according to the RF-7 lovers the old $600 speakers sound as good (in my ears better) than the $2200 RF-7s. You might really love your RF-7s, but I think you can't see the forest for the trees. It is an issue that Klipsch needs to address with their new speaker development.

- d

post-16829-13819300764576_thumb.gif

Is it fair to compare 2 way vs. a 3 way? I owned 2 way speakers for over 20 years, and swore 2 way was best, untill I got my H2's, now I don't know how I lived with 2 ways. I had ESS 8" 2 ways, KG4's 2 ways, both fine speakers,still own the KG's, but the Heresy 2's blows them away. Vocals are better, horns sound better, better price than the RF-7's, it's hard to compare, not trying to, just wonder if it's fair?

jacksonbart - so posting one's opinion and how you came to that opinion

on a pair of speakers is being a troll, but just calling someone else a

troll is not trolling? Why not contribute information instead of

just sitting back and pointing fingers? Do you have any info to

contribute to the topic of this thread?

- d

I watched Star Wars III last night on my RF-7s. I got rid of my Definitive Technology 15" self-powered sub a month ago. The sub used to handle all the bass up to 80Hz. In the opening scene with the space battle the explosions were louder, deeper, tighter and clearer with my RF-7s alone than when I had my sub.

They are not bass shy!

OK, Got the Chorus Home, put 1 on the left channel, and one 7 on the right. Got the tubes good and warmed up, and mama and I sat and listened. The 7's go much deeper (I am amazed by them with tubes), the high is much more defined. I put all new caps and resistors (4 mos. ago) in the 7's crossovers to eliminate the "edge" they can have. The 7 is very well balanced, top to bottom, where as the Chorus tend to have the mids stand out. The Chorus's bass come to life at higher db, but the bulk of our listening is at low to moderate levels. The Chorus do disperse their sound the moment it leaves the cabinet, where the 7's seem to like the "triangle".

Looks like I will have a hard time finding a "replacement" for the 7's, though that is not what I am trying to accomplish.

I did notice the surround in the Chorus is quite stiff, wich may acct for the lack of bass until higher db.

The gentleman I bought them from said he used them at many a party (college town) so I assume they have been driven, allthough I pulled the 15's this morning and evrything looks original and in great shape.

I don't have much invested in the Chorus (yet) so I may freshen up the crossovers and put them on my ASL AV 20's and start a 2nd set up.

Gotta love this addiction...............