Klipsch HT Setup. Please Review

Speedbird

Thanks again for all the advice from my last post. I took a real close look at the Klipsch line, and here's what I've come up with.

SB-2 For the Front

SC-1 Center

SS-1 Rear Surround

KSW-12 Sub

Again, here are the details of the gear I have now:

Gear:

Sony STR-DB 830 Receiver

Sony DVP-S330 DVD Player

Sony 32" XBR

Monster Cable XP in the walls

Room Size:

19.2 x 15.3 with an 18 foot high ceiling

Will this work well for the room size? I'm mostly going to be watching TV and DVD movies, and from time to time music CDs.

Thanks again for any advice!

well, sounds good to me. My only quirk in it is the SONY receiver, they are known for pink noise (if you don't hear pink noise, then no quirk there).

nice room for accoustics. But, 18' ceilings might have some echoing, my grandmothers 16 foot ceilings did with Boston Accoustic speakers. But, she got some of the flat sound absorbing panels and it was fixed. If you get an echo, that will more thank likely fix it, and it is pretty reasonably priced.

But, if you don't get any echo, more power to you!

------------------

-justin

I am an amateur, if it is professional help you want email Amy or call her toll free @ 1-888-554-5665

Good choice of speakers,if you dont want to spend too much.I have the SB-2 and SC-1 and they are great for small to mid-sized rooms.If driven by a good quality reciever the sound will surprise many.

If you can add a few more $$ then...

RB-3,RC-3II and RS-3II,better definition with the R series.And you get the very stylish real wood finish(if you want good looking speakers).

I would get a better reciever,a Denon or Yamaha.Sony makes very good monitors,projectors and DVD players but their recievers are not the best choice for the dollar(very inflated specs and dont measure up to Yam and Denons).

Get a Denon 2802(cmon a 3802 would be great Smile.gif )or a Yamaha 1000.

The rest of the system looks good to me.

TheEAR(s) Now theears

I bought a Denon 3801 receiver several months ago,and it replaced an old Sony receiver that I used for years,primarily for music.For music the sound of the old Sony beat this new Denon,hands down.

The Denons are not the TOTAL package that everyone infers.

Enjoy your receiver Speedbird.

Keith

I have to agree with TTK on this one, as I am also a current Denon / past Sony owner. I love my Denon for HT, though.

T-man

------------------

KG 5.5 (mains)

KG 2.2v (center)

KLF-C7 (center in storage)

KG 1 (rears)

KSW-12 (sub)

Denon AVR 681/1601

Toshiba SD-3109 DVD

Kenwood LVD700 LD

Sony CD changer

Sony 27" Trinitron

Sony PLX I

Speed...

I see you already have the Sony receiver. If it was a recent purchase find out if it is returnable. If not don't worry about it for now. I suspect this setup is going to sound much better than whatever you have right now with or without the Sony. If you are stuck with it for now then just consider upgrading in the future. The good thing is the Klipsch speakers won't be too demanding of it. If money is really tight try getting a Denon or Harmon Kardon from www.ubid.com many of us have had good luck finding good deals through UBid. I bought my current receiver from www.jandr.com by phone though. You may be interested in the KSCC1 center speaker which seems to be going for $100 or less on ubid.

Good luck and enjoy!!!

JT

Why is it that the old sonys sound so good with music!? My 1993 STR-D611 (60w X 2 + 20w X 3) Sony sounded really good playing music. Great bass! The HT part kinda sucked due to its low power and having had only DPL.

Nobody likes sony!? cwm24.gif

------------------

My system thus far:

1980 Cornwalls (mains)

1990 Heresy II's (rears)

2001 KLF-C7 (center)

2001 KSW15 (Subwoofer)

HK AVR 510 (reciever - coming soon!)

Kenwood DV402 (DVD)

Sony KV 27V55 (9 year old 27" TV)

Albany.gif

The older Sony recievers had better quality amps and preamps.Most of the new recievers are built with features and good looking specs in mind to impress the customer.

Even some old(damn old) Realistic(from Radio Shack)recievers sounded very good and were built like tanks.

The new ones dont measure up.

Still audio quality is going forward,you simply have to spend the BIG $$$$$ to get the super sound.

TheEAR(s) Now theears