Need an amp and sub recommendation

PiperG

Hey guys, just need a little help choosing an amp and sub. Here are my plans on setup:

RC7, RF7's up front, RF35's in back(these are currently my mains), and RS7's as side surrounds. A denon 3805 is running my current setup. I've read on here that the RF7's will drown out smaller subs, so I think I'll upgrade. I currently have a small infinity 10". I've decided to put the RF35's in back because I'm limited on mounting options behind my seating position, and floorstanders right behind my couch seem to be the best option.(plus I have an excuse to upgrade them up front with the 7's..but don't tell the wife that).

What's the best amp to power those 7's up front? I've heard current is more important than wattts as far as amps go. You guys have the experience, so I'm taking your word over some guy at Ultimate Electronics.

So which amp and sub will do the job? Keep in mind it's a pretty big living room, with high cathedral ceilings.--I know it's not the best for HT, but it's all I have to work with.

Thanks for the help!

Hey guys, just need a little help choosing an amp and sub. Here are my plans on setup:

RC7, RF7's up front, RF35's in back(these are currently my mains), and RS7's as side surrounds. A denon 3805 is running my current setup. I've read on here that the RF7's will drown out smaller subs, so I think I'll upgrade. I currently have a small infinity 10". I've decided to put the RF35's in back because I'm limited on mounting options behind my seating position, and floorstanders right behind my couch seem to be the best option.(plus I have an excuse to upgrade them up front with the 7's..but don't tell the wife that).

What's the best amp to power those 7's up front? I've heard current is more important than wattts as far as amps go. You guys have the experience, so I'm taking your word over some guy at Ultimate Electronics.

So which amp and sub will do the job? Keep in mind it's a pretty big living room, with high cathedral ceilings.--I know it's not the best for HT, but it's all I have to work with.

Thanks for the help!

Many will do the job. My current choice is the onkyo TX-NR1000. If you can find an onkyo TX-DS989 ver2 that would be another amazing unit.

Thanks for the help!

Many will do the job. My current choice is the onkyo TX-NR1000. If you can find an onkyo TX-DS989 ver2 that would be another amazing unit.

If you like warmer sounding amps I'd reccomend checking out a B&K Ref 200.7. I have a 200.7 with RF-7s, RC-7, & RF-5s and it sounds great. Plenty of power. Was a noticable improvement from my Outlaw 7100.

Can't really give much of an opinion on subs. Apartment living has it's drawbacks.

Is it best to run power to all 7 speakers from the amp, or should I just run power to the mains? The denon 3805 sends decent power on its own, but nearly not enough for the RF7's. What's the consensus? basically what I'm asking is should I be looking at 7 ch amps, 2 ch amps etc....

Is it best to run power to all 7 speakers from the amp, or should I just run power to the mains? The denon 3805 sends decent power on its own, but nearly not enough for the RF7's. What's the consensus? basically what I'm asking is should I be looking at 7 ch amps, 2 ch amps etc....

seven channel amp. calibrating channels on different amps will be a pain unless you get all the same amps.

I run Outlaw 990 pre with 7125 power and the LFM2 sub - all 3 are great pieces - you may prefer the 200 watt Outlaw - I would describe it as very neutral sounding. Several friends with the Denon 3803/ 3805 series really like the sound of my Outlaw gear and are in the process of upgrading. Tweeter was also recently blowing out the Denon 4806 receiver which would probably do nicely too. I had one here a few weeks ago - very warm sound - tons of power - Tweeter selling at 2495.00.

Some good chois Rotel and B&K,B&K wolmy choice if I had to decide.Smoother and better match with the larger Klipsch. Both will be a good deal better than any receiver.

Next step up would be Bryston,clearly superior to Rotel or B&K,however the price goes up,a good deal up.With Bryston you get better control in the bass and transancy worthy of much more expensive amps. Lets say Bryston is not used in studios for nothing,and they come with a 20 year warranty(a warraty nobody dares give besides Bryston).

It is not because the sticker on your speakers may read 150W you have to get a 150W amp.This is totally false,and even strange to me.

You can buy a 200W RMS /channel power amp and drive speakers capable taking ONE WATT.As long as you do not overdrive them.

The speaker rating is a THERMAL rating and general indicator,and even speakers rated at say 150W will take only take a fraction of this at some frequencies and much more at others before damage will show up. Speakers in this case woofers may handle 800W at nrequency and get damaged from BOTTOMING OUT using a few watts.So using ears and common e will prevent possible damage.

Know the more damping factor an amp has,the better the control over the lower spectrum will be.

Think about a 3 channel Earthquake Cinenova Grande. Super smooth, musical and ultra potent. One of the bigger bang for the buck amps out there. It is 300/ch and will easily handle the 2 ohm load on the RF-7's and allow you to get the crossover frequency lower. Let the Denon run the sides/rears. As for matching levels, should be absolutely no problem with the level controls on the reciever. I do mix/matches all the time.

Sub wise...you might wait a month for the new Klipsch RT-12D which will DEFINTELY keep up with the RF-7/RC-7 combo. Check out the posting from Bob at Klipsch over in the sub forum on this beastie.

Some good chois Rotel and B&K,B&K wolmy choice if I had to decide.Smoother and better match with the larger Klipsch. Both will be a good deal better than any receiver.

Next step up would be Bryston,clearly superior to Rotel or B&K,however the price goes up,a good deal up.With Bryston you get better control in the bass and transancy worthy of much more expensive amps. Lets say Bryston is not used in studios for nothing,and they come with a 20 year warranty(a warraty nobody dares give besides Bryston).

It is not because the sticker on your speakers may read 150W you have to get a 150W amp.This is totally false,and even strange to me.

You can buy a 200W RMS /channel power amp and drive speakers capable taking ONE WATT.As long as you do not overdrive them.

The speaker rating is a THERMAL rating and general indicator,and even speakers rated at say 150W will take only take a fraction of this at some frequencies and much more at others before damage will show up. Speakers in this case woofers may handle 800W at nrequency and get damaged from BOTTOMING OUT using a few watts.So using ears and common e will prevent possible damage.

Know the more damping factor an amp has,the better the control over the lower spectrum will be.

Bryston is a good choice,have had one in my rig for the last 20 years.Check on ebay for used.They can had for much less than new.

Greg

I have a PS AUDIO GCA-MC 500 x 7 (seven channels @ 500 WPC - 8 ohms!).

The GCA/GCC models have received many excellent reviews in the past year.

They use the B&O class D "Ice" module. Runs very cool and is about 80% efficient.

About 10 months old, only in service for 3 months, minor "rack rash" = 9/10.

$6,000.000 shipped! MSRP: $9,995.00

Let me know at: mmiles@icrinc.net or mmiles442004@yahoo.com .

Regards,

Mike