Newbie setup-LFE or Pre-out

Thumpin

I am just getting started on my new HTS. I just purchased the sub-12 and am trying to determine which is the better quality setup...LFE (single cable) or Left and Right pre-outs. The manual shows both configurations but doesn't say which is prefered. I have also searched for a good source online but nothing. I am sure this must be elementary and maybe a stupid question since I can't find an answer.

Also, I will be starting off with a Quintet system (until I can afford bigger) paired with it so I need suggestions on crossover settings. Since these are small speakers I know it may be hard to balance the sound.

Eventually I will probably move these to complete a 7.1 configuration but since I just got new SXRD 50", new reciever, DVD player, power filter with battery backup and the plethora of cables it is as much as I can do for now. So, please help me make the most of these speakers for now. Your help is greatly appreciated.

I am just getting started on my new HTS. I just purchased the sub-12 and am trying to determine which is the better quality setup...LFE (single cable) or Left and Right pre-outs. The manual shows both configurations but doesn't say which is prefered. I have also searched for a good source online but nothing. I am sure this must be elementary and maybe a stupid question since I can't find an answer.

Also, I will be starting off with a Quintet system (until I can afford bigger) paired with it so I need suggestions on crossover settings. Since these are small speakers I know it may be hard to balance the sound.

Eventually I will probably move these to complete a 7.1 configuration but since I just got new SXRD 50", new reciever, DVD player, power filter with battery backup and the plethora of cables it is as much as I can do for now. So, please help me make the most of these speakers for now. Your help is greatly appreciated.

the LFE conforms to the THX standard. Using the LFE would be best if your other speakers are medium or large....if they are small....using an alternative output might be better if you are willing to agjust the corssover frequency on the subwoofer....assuming the sub woofer allows choosing a cross over point.

If your receiver is like most, if you hook up something to the pre-outs you must then hook something back into the pre-ins. Since your Sub-12 only has a low-level input and not a low level output it probably won't work at all if you hooked it up that way.

Your best bet would be to hook it up to the LFE input. While you're at it, it is possible to hook up a cable that has a Y splitter so that your single RCA cable from your LFE output on the receiver connects to both the Left/LFE and Right inputs on the sub. You will hear a noticeable increase in bass output by doing this. I believe around a 6dB increase.

Crossover settings at 80Hz should work fine for you.

If your receiver is like most, if you hook up something to the pre-outs you must then hook something back into the pre-ins. Since your Sub-12 only has a low-level input and not a low level output it probably won't work at all if you hooked it up that way.

Your best bet would be to hook it up to the LFE input. While you're at it, it is possible to hook up a cable that has a Y splitter so that your single RCA cable from your LFE output on the receiver connects to both the Left/LFE and Right inputs on the sub. You will hear a noticeable increase in bass output by doing this. I believe around a 6dB increase.

Crossover settings at 80Hz should work fine for you.

single line hookup turn up volume ;

use of a splitter ; turn volume down;

I've used both ways , prefer single LFE hook up with volume level up; sounds cleaner, less muddy, and crossover set at 100 Hz. Try both, all it costs is the price of the Y cable..........