First Live Concert

Anyone care to mention either their worst concert experience or an "embarrassed to admit I went to this one" concert?

My worst was Blue Oyster Cult & Molly Hatchett back in about 1980. Flat tire on the freeway enroute to the concert--stripped lug nuts and no wrench. Finally get to the arena to hear Molly Hatchet's final song (the band that I wanted to see). Blue Oyster Cult was crappy--constant feedback. My friend hits a car leaving the parking lot, then about 2a.m his engine blows leaving us stranded on the freeway.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone care to mention either their worst concert experience or an "embarrassed to admit I went to this one" concert?

My worst was Blue Oyster Cult & Molly Hatchett back in about 1980. Flat tire on the freeway enroute to the concert--stripped lug nuts and no wrench. Finally get to the arena to hear Molly Hatchet's final song (the band that I wanted to see). Blue Oyster Cult was crappy--constant feedback. My friend hits a car leaving the parking lot, then about 2a.m his engine blows leaving us stranded on the freeway.

78-79 Black and Blue Tour; Black Sabbath and Blue Oyster Cult, Lebanon Valley Raceway, N.Y. 2deaths, 4 cars burned, very UGLY show, fights, OD's, really gave Rock a bad name for quite awhile.............Bad scene...........

I'm going to see The Wiggles on August 10th.

Top THAT! [:D]

DON'T DO IT !!!!!!! [N]

Their songs will penetrate your brain 1000 times deeper than any "It's a Small World" song could ever auger in. I'm telling you Amy. I've been there with the Wiggles. But if you must go might I suggest you purchase a pair of Bose active noise cancelling headphones??

As for concerts....I'm pretty sure my first was (like a couple of other folks here) Buddy Rich. It was 1974, I was 18, and he played at Gulfport High Schools' gym. I was just blown away with not just his drumming, but how the guys in the band could just wail.

As for a rock concert, I think it was the Holloween night Alice Cooper concert. Scar-reeeee.

Best concert?? Wow....kinda tough, but I think I'd have to go with Alison Krauss and Union Station. The Police (Synchronicity tour) is a close second.

BUT - that could change in a couple of months as I will be seeing Steely Dan at Chastain Park in Atlanta.

(sigh)........the memories...........

Tom

• Moderators

I'm going to see The Wiggles on August 10th.

Top THAT! [:D]

DON'T DO IT !!!!!!! [N]

Their songs will penetrate your brain 1000 times deeper than any "It's a Small World" song could ever auger in.

Tom,

Thanks for the warning, but you are about 6 months too late! They have permeated my brain completely.

"hot potato, hot potato..."

The ONLY reason I decided to take him to this concert is to see the pure joy and awe when he sees them in person. That's worth a million playbacks of Hot Potato. Well, a couple thousand, anyway.

[:)]

(It could be worse--he hasn't discovered Barney yet...and will never, if I have any say)

You get a free pass for that one; just please don't add a link to their website. Many of us obviously are still suffering from circa 1970's post concert traumatic stress disorder. But I will admit, when one of my kids was little, I attended an Alvin & the Chipmunks "Chipmunk Punk Concert." But, I balanced that out by taking her to an REO and a Guess Who concert.

First - Black Sabbath

Favorites - Rush (multiple times)

Scorpions

Deep Purple

Most memorable: Monsters of Rock, KC Arrowhead, 1988.

Bands were Sheriff, Dokken, Metallica, Scorpions, and Van Halen (w/ Sammy). Started at about 11 a.m. and went until 9 p.m. Memorable not only for the various groups but for the various sights witnessed in the wasted audience that day . . . . .

Carl.

P.S. My 4 year old moved on from Wiggles, but we almost had to attend one of those concerts. I can emphasize.

Thank goodness they do not have a stage version of the cartoon "Little Einsteins" or we would be there.

First live concert was Ted Nugent at Jenison Field House in East Lansing. Remember missing the opening act...The Climax Blues Band...as we were being frisked before going in. We had nose bleed seats and yet my ears were ringing for a day.

• Moderators

Thank goodness they do not have a stage version of the cartoon "Little Einsteins" or we would be there.

Hey Carl,

Good to hear he'll eventually grow out of it.

Not to move WAY off topic here, but there's something eerie to me about Little Einsteins. I've only seen the cartoon 4 times spradically over the past few months, but it has been the SAME EPISODE every single time. Literally. I'm beginning to wonder if there is only the one.

To get back on track, my worst concert was probably Metallica/Guns n Roses early 90s.. Wasn't a bad show, but G N R was up second and it took them almost 2 hours to take the stage. I guess Axl was throwing a hissy.

Best concert....also Metallica "Summer Sanitarium" Ohio State University football field, July 2003. Best because I was behind the stage the whole time about 15 ft from the band while they played. The pyrotechnics about singed my eyebrows. Of course, it was Klipsch-sponsored, which was why the VIP treatment [:)]

This was our view:

james.bmp