80Hz signal-level crossover for subwoofer integration

meuge

I was wondering how complicated it would be to build a simple, non-adjustible 24dB/octave or steeper crossover to use a subwoofer in a 2-channel system. I am using the Outlaw ICBM-1, and I am happy with it, but there is a little bit of insertional noise (noticeable with tube preamps) and some loss of soundstaging. I figure this can be minimized with a simple crossover built of really high quality parts.

If someone has done this, or knows somebody who has, let me know. Also, if you think it's better to just purchase this equipment, suggest a piece or two. Thanks.

I was wondering how complicated it would be to build a simple, non-adjustible 24dB/octave or steeper crossover to use a subwoofer in a 2-channel system. I am using the Outlaw ICBM-1, and I am happy with it,  but there is a little bit of insertional noise (noticeable with tube preamps) and some loss of soundstaging. I figure this can be minimized with a simple crossover built of really high quality parts.

If someone has done this, or knows somebody who has, let me know. Also, if you think it's better to just purchase this equipment, suggest a piece or two. Thanks.

are you thinking about passive xover or active xover?

amplified or driven by your amp?

tube or solid state?

I was wondering how complicated it would be to build a simple, non-adjustible 24dB/octave or steeper crossover to use a subwoofer in a 2-channel system. I am using the Outlaw ICBM-1, and I am happy with it,  but there is a little bit of insertional noise (noticeable with tube preamps) and some loss of soundstaging. I figure this can be minimized with a simple crossover built of really high quality parts.

are you thinking about passive xover or active xover?

amplified or driven by your amp?

tube or solid state?

I do not know whether it should be active or passive (somehow I think that steep crossovers are likely to be active), but what I am sure of is that I'd like it to be line-level, as opposed to speaker level... something I could put between my preamp and amp.

I do not know whether it should be active or passive (somehow I think that steep crossovers are likely to be active), but what I am sure of is that I'd like it to be line-level, as opposed to speaker level... something I could put between my preamp and amp.

so are you heading towards an amplified sub-woofer or running a second amp to a non-amplified sub-woofer?

so are you heading towards an amplified sub-woofer or running a second amp to a non-amplified sub-woofer?

I have an amplified subwoofer right now. I am very satisfied with its performance... I just wish I could get rid of the insertional artifacts that the ICBM is giving me. I do not need its multichannel capability, nor the myriad of its adjustible functions. All I need is for my line-level signal to be cleanly segregated between my speaker amp and my subwoofer amp, based on the frequency.

Thanks for your replies, btw.

I have an amplified subwoofer right now. I am very satisfied with its performance... I just wish I could get rid of the insertional artifacts that the ICBM is giving me. I do not need its multichannel capability, nor the myriad of its adjustible functions. All I need is for my line-level signal to be cleanly segregated between my speaker amp and my subwoofer amp, based on the frequency.

so you need to by-pass your existing internal amp circut.

are you handy enough to replace you existing sub woofer internal amp with something like the below?

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=300-784

or

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=300-796

so you need to by-pass your existing internal amp circut.

are you handy enough to replace you existing sub woofer internal amp with something like the below?

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=300-784

or

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=300-796

I think we misunderstood each other. When I said my subwoofer was amplified I meant it has its own amp (the PartsExpress 1000W), not that it's running off my speaker amps.

P.S. The sub is the Titanic III 15"