First Post! -KSW-100 Subwoofer Newbies Question

I just inherited this KSW-100 subwoofer. I don't really know squat about audio equipment.

I may want to sell this subwoofer but need to make sure everything is working right.

It seems like the only way the red power light on the sub turns green (and therefore works) is if I connect the "sub" rca plug to "something". Right now, its connected to a DVD player, I have an older stereo system which does not have a direct SUB connection.

If I try to simply connect the main speaker wires to the subwoofer "high-level in" wire connectors--no good, light stays red.

If I try to simply connect a CD player (line out) , Tape deck (line out) to the line-in RCA's -- no good, light stays red.

Even if the DVD player is off, and I connect the coaxial rca out plug from it to the subwoofer, the subwoofer's light turns green and it works.

What the heck?? I did a search on these forums and found several suggestions on how to connect a subwoofer with a stereo system with no direct "sub" line.....but I'm totally miffed at this.

Posted Image

Do you attempt to play any music through the sub when its hooked up to the high level inputs?

Your subwoofer has an automatic sensing circuit that only will turn the sub on when it senses an audio signal coming to it. It has a 2 second delay before the sub self-powers on.

Don't hook up something without a volume control to test it. It needs a signal from a receiver or amp. Best way with what you have is to hook up the high level inputs to a receiver and play some music.

Don't hook up something without a volume

control to test it. It needs a signal from a receiver or

amp. Best way with what you have is to hook up the high level

inputs to a receiver and play some music.

Tried that. I connect the main speaker wires (out of the amp), into the

high-level input wire connectors on subwoofer.--RED LIGHT!

I connect the Pre-amp out RCA plugs to the Line-in RCA plugs on the subwoofer--RED LIGHT.

the whole time playing music.

The absolutely only time I get a green light is when I connect the sub

RCA plug from the subwoofer to my DVD player (coaxial rca plug out)

I guess this thing is not working correctly?

If you haven't tried already, turn the power switch back and forth between 'On' and 'Auto' to see if either of them work. It should obviously work fine in the On position if everything is ok. I know some subwoofers are touchy when they're in the Auto position.

Nope, I've tried both ON and AUTO positions. It Only seems to work when

I connect the single SUB rca plug on the subwoofer to the out rca plug

(labeled "coaxial") on my DVD player.

When I connect the speaker wires (from amp) into the high-level in wire connectors on subwoofer, and then from subwoofer high-level out wire

connectors to a speaker, I get sound from that speaker... so at least

the signal is passing through the subwoofer..even though the light

remains red and is not activated.

crazy, it should not be this hard, something must be wrong.

I guess if you have a stereo system with a dedicated sub-out plug, this thing works no problem.

Nope, I've tried both ON and AUTO positions. It Only seems to work when I connect the single SUB rca plug on the subwoofer to the out rca plug (labeled "coaxial") on my DVD player.

When I connect the speaker wires (from amp) into the high-level in wire connectors on subwoofer, and then from subwoofer high-level out wire connectors to a speaker, I get sound from that speaker... so at least the signal is passing through the subwoofer..even though the light remains red and is not activated.

crazy, it should not be this hard, something must be wrong.

I guess if you have a stereo system with a dedicated sub-out plug, this thing works no problem.

That didn't come out right.............Sorry........still think it's wired wrong...........forgot how to hook up that way, one reason I bought a reciver with bass plug.........

Hey, have you tried using the Tape Monitor outs?

Does your "older stereo system" have pre-amp outs with in-place bare wire jumpers?

Oldbuckster; you want the guy to blow his gear up?[:o]

Speaker level from amp to sub, and then from sub to speaker is a totally acceptable way of doing it, and IMO is an easier way to integrate, as it provides for more control with the high-pass settings.

Hey, have you tried using the Tape Monitor outs?

Does your "older stereo system" have pre-amp outs with in-place bare wire jumpers?

Hi,

Yes, Ive tried a connection from pre-amp out to line in on sub. --red light.

Ive tried Tape Monitor out to line in on sub -- red light.

something must be wrong, only a connection to the single "sub" rca in (on subwoofer) makes it work.

Pissing me off. Great subwoofer for someone with a dedicated single "sub out" connection on their stereo system.

If, in fact, this subwoofer is in perfect working order, I'm certainly stumbling around the solution....should NOT be this hard.

First, welcome to the forum. Second, relax, all of us have problems from time to time with our equipment, it's not worth getting "miffed" over, someone here will probably provide your answer, they have always helped me when I couldn't get my equipment to "play nice" together. Sounds like you have been getting good advice here, but if you don't get an answer here, try the "Subwoofer section"of the forum many Klipsch sub owners lurk there.

As for your problems with the sub, you don't say if you have an owner's manual, but it sounds like that might be most helpful. I don't have your type of sub, so here is a link to the manual for your specific model sub, instructions for hook-up begin on page 7. Best of Luck!

http://www.klipsch.com/media/Products/ksw_om.pdf

DOnt' worry be happy, You've got KLIPSCH.

Most of us run better receivers where we have the RCA out anyway. It's the only way to get pure 5.1 surround sound and is generally the best way to get signal rather than sucking the low notes out of the normal speaker wires.

I have a KSW12 and have to use the power switch ON all the time. The AUTO function is notoriously weird.

But do NOT hook up the speaker outs from the sub back to the amp- that is a good way to smoke an amp. Hopefully that post will be edited soon.

How does it SOUND when you get it hooked up and working? I'd just wire it up, sit back and relax and make a nice cool glass of lemonade.[D]

Welcome to the madness

Michael

Your subwoofer has an automatic sensing circuit that only will turn

the sub on when it senses an audio signal coming to it. It has a

2 second delay before the sub self-powers on.

Quick question, if I have absolutely nothing connected to the

subwoofer, and I put the power switch to "ON", does it still remain a

red light?

Maybe that is part of my problem? Even in the on position the subwoofer

still needs a signal coming into it for it to turn green??

DOnt' worry be happy, You've got KLIPSCH.

How

does it SOUND when you get it hooked up and working? I'd just wire it

up, sit back and relax and make a nice cool glass of lemonade.[D]

It sounds kick-*SS!!! The whole house was pounding.

Bottom line is....

I've decided to sell this subwoofer on EBAY, and I want to be honest

about it if there is a problem with it. Most likely it works perfectly

and it's just me (or my old stereo equipment)

I'll just have to put a disclaimer in the description that ...It works...But you may need a dedicated "sub" input for it. I hate making people think there's something wrong with it, if in fact it works perfectly.

I just posted the Klipsch subwoofer on EBAY, I put in a disclaimer

about not being able to get it running without a direct "sub" rca

connection.

Thanks for all the help everyone!! :)

even though I never figured out the problem, it probably was just me.

oh well