New To Klipsch

SpeakerGuy

Through an ugly divorce I lost my polk system - which may have been the best thing to happen to me! I am now a converted Klipschaholic. I just bought some RB-81's with RS-52 surround and RC62 center, and a KSW 12 sub, a humble system but as I said - an ugly divorce. Much of my info was developed from the knowledge of you on this board. Any advise on a receiver - did not want to go over $400.00 - (or should I to get the most of my speakers)?

Congratulations on the new system,remember we all have to start somewhere. My first Klipsch system (which I still have in a secondary role) was KG 3.5 towers. I have a Denon receiver that I purchased about 2 years ago that puts out alot of sound for the money, $400. It is DTS,DD and the like and does a great job for me. I do not have the model number in front of me but Denon would be a good choice I believe.

Harmon Kardon here http://www.harmanaudio.com/search_browse/default.asp?sp=S&brand=HK and used here www.audiogon.com . I've heard good things from the HK refurbished store and have had good luck with a couple purchases from audiogon. I too graduated from Polk Rt55i's and am very happy with the detail I'm hearing!

It may take a hundred years, but I will get seperates someday....[:D]

............and Welcome to the Klipsch Forum, there really is tons of Klipsch knowledge floating around this place....

Welcome to the forum. I recently bought a Sony STR-DE998 receiver and have been more than happy with it. I researched a few weeks before settling on this model. Also, and this is what sold me, it has phono inputs. I was Shocked at how many otherwise fine receivers did not have the phono input. But this one does. Just looked at Circuit City and it was $439. You probably could find it online for less than that.

http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Sony-Surround-Sound-Receiver-STR-DE998-/sem/rpsm/oid/120295/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do

Yikes, Sony would be one of the few brands mentioned that I would very

much try to lead you away from. [:o] I have no doubt they sound decent,

but side by side with some of these other recievers it's not even a

close comparison. Though I must confess not having the chance to

specifically hear the DE998, but I can't imagine it deviating much from

the rest of the "sony sound."

I also didn't see Denon mentioned, which is one of my favorites. Will

you be purchasing from Best Buy or a local dealer? If a dealer I would

try to demo a few different options on your speakers to get an idea of

what you prefer with the music you listen to.

Brands that I've seen often mentioned as mating well with klipsch in

that price range are typically yamaha, HK, and denon...there is a huge

pioneer following too, but I've not yet had the chance to do a serious

listening of my own.

Anyways, congrats on your new setup and welcome to the forum.

If you are buying from a major retail chain. They carry Onkyo, Yamaha, Harmon Karmon, sony.

Denon is a little more rare, and usally found at more upscale retailers. My first choice amoung these would be Denon. Second and third Onkyo and Yamaha.

Wow, I didn't realize BestBuy didn't carry Denon - just did a search on

their website to confirm. Seems wierd considering they sell

units down in the same price ranges.

I'd recommend establishing a relationship with a local "upscale" retailer as you can get some really nice deals in the future by going that route...not to mention better service.

You might try looking around for some end of line stock for a good price.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

The Panasonic SA-HE200 6.1 Channels Receiver is good ... You can find them in the $300 price range ...

Oh and the Sony STR DA5000ES 7.1Receiver comes with a 5 year warranty now you can find them on ebay for around $500.00

• Moderators

When i was looking i did compare Denon and Yamaha side by side and i liked the Yamaha better plus it had a second zone.

Sony is not bad if you stay away from the bottom half of the line, some sound really bad.

Why buy new? I can understand the warranty and all, but most of this equipment if it doesn't fail within the first 3 months it's generally good for many years afterwards. I bought my Denon 4800 new (plus all of my SS HT gear), but never again. There are deals to be had in the used market. You should consider that as an optiopn and it'll open up a lot more possibilities.

Mike

I bought my Denon 3802 used, locally and have really enjoyed it. I did an upgrade from a 3801 so I really just got a little more power but I was able to sell my 3801 online for more than I paid for the 3802.

Since I bought my Toshiba PLasma I have been very quiet on the upgrade front but am certainly trying to pick up a pair of RF-7s for cheap...

D