Is it just a Guy Thing ?

sunburnwilly

And heres baby's first picture .

Aint she the prettiest little thing ... [:D]

Congrats on deBeast ,Dont forget to be gentle on her for a while[:D]

Too late ... It's gotta learn to walk sometime .

Seriously it won't hit puberty until I get an Ultra 2 certified processor . Right now it's just teething .

Thanks for the congrats though , so far it's everything I expected !

Willy

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

mmmmm pallets.....

But doens't every REAL MAN own a two-wheeled dolly? I had mine out on the front porch when some buddies came over the other night. All they said was 'where's the new speakers Colter?". They have me pegged- I was getting ready to slide the Khorns into position!

That's wicked haveing a separate remote just for the sub. I wish I had one for the THX system. The software volume control is waaay deep in my Yammies menu- I just leave it cranked all the way and reach for the THX volume knob on the amp to tweak it a bit. Can't understand what ALL THOSE KNOBS are for though! Most be a complicated little bastard.

M

mmmmm pallets.....

But doens't every REAL MAN own a two-wheeled dolly? I had mine out on the front porch when some buddies came over the other night. All they said was 'where's the new speakers Colter?". They have me pegged- I was getting ready to slide the Khorns into position!

That's wicked haveing a separate remote just for the sub. I wish I had one for the THX system. The software volume control is waaay deep in my Yammies menu- I just leave it cranked all the way and reach for the THX volume knob on the amp to tweak it a bit. Can't understand what ALL THOSE KNOBS are for though! Most be a complicated little bastard.

M

Dollies ?! , "I don't need no Stinkin' Dollies !!!"

Well actualy , if I had gotten the 1812 I went after a couple of months ago , I would have needed the suped up Colter Dolly ! "And I know you would have been there for me"

Your the Salt of the forum Michael .

Willy

DOLLIES, not doilies! LOL even though some of those might prevent the dreaded 'plant rings'

Thanks for the salt comment. Although sometimes I feel like the garlic of the forum, especially on hot muggy days like today!

M

Have you tried deoderant ? It works wonders . But for those really moist places , Corn Starch is the only way to go .

Then again , There's allways this .

post-18289-13819301693142_thumb.jpg

Sunburnwilly,

The remore,its only a tiny inexpensive passive piece used a few times.Not a problem

The sub,now this master of depth and I am sure will satisfy in any was a sub can. [:D]

Greasm and you should enjoy your DD18 for many many years,have my HGS18 for what a few years now and going strong as ever.

Thanks Ear ,

What is your opinion on a non THX certified processor vs a THX Ultra 2 certified processor ? "My Sony 9000 ES is not THX certified" How much am I missing ? Is it simply a matter of having to crank it up more with the non THX processor ?

Willy

Ultra 2 certification ensures that something is going to sound very good, but it doesn't mean something without the certification is going to sound bad. But it really makes you wonder why something that "performs just as well" doesn't have the certification...

But it really makes you wonder why something that "performs just as well" doesn't have the certification...

Means that someone is NOT getting a licensing fee. [:'(]

One of the unique things I've found, while emptying out the house, is a genuine Panasonic DOLBY SYSTEMS RP-966 Noise Reduction Unit. For those who remember, Dolby Noise Reduction first was available via units like this. You even got a Calibration Switch so you could make the "wonders of Dolby" happen in a controlled manner. On the back is a nice little sticker that sez:

MANUFACTURED UNDER LICENSE FROM DOLBY LABORATORIES, INC.

"Dolby" is the trademark of Dolby Laboratories, Inc.

It all seems so crude, now, with the advent of ripping mp3's from CD's, etc. We used to turn knobs, watch needles and choose tape formulations just to get a decent sound.

I guess Dolby was eventually just built into the chip-sets for all recorders. Wait a few (?) years and the THX "certification" standards will probably become de-facto for all equipment. [;)] I wouldn't doubt that the Chinese have bootleg systems, already.

Sunburnwilly,

The remore,its only a tiny inexpensive passive piece used a few times.Not a problem

The sub,now this master of depth and I am sure will satisfy in any was a sub can. [:D]

Greasm and you should enjoy your DD18 for many many years,have my HGS18 for what a few years now and going strong as ever.

Gosh Ear ,

I think you might have been Salivating a little bit there ! [:D]

Seriously though ,

What do you think of this idea ?

I purchase a DD 12 and stack it on the DD 18 . I have the DD 18 handling from 40hz on down , and the DD 12 taking care of 40hz to 80 hz . Slam and Pop . Would I in effect be creating the same dynamics as the DD 1812 ?

DrWho I would be currious as to your impressions as well .

Thanks , Willy

Sunburnwilly,

Do not waste money,buying a DD12 to stack on the DD18 will not make a 1812 out of it. [:P]

It it was this easy. And do not eat this nonsense about cutting the DD18 at 40Hz to then cut the DD12 from 40-80Hz. This would be hilarious.

The DD18 can reproduce freq. to 80Hz with no problems at all,my HGS18 can your DD18 can too.Do not buy this Velodyne hoopla about upper and lower sub bass ...two way subs.

Geta DD15 to make a pyramid like stack,for the looks on people faces when they see and hear it. [:D]

My multi pyramid stacks use the same range of subs all cut at the SAME freq. reproducing the same signal,working in tandem.Yes the larger will reach deeper than the next largest and so on.But this difference of a few HZ is not as bad as some may claim,in listening.

I have my sights set on new power(Bryston 28B-SST's) amps and the Anthem Statement D2 right now,stacks of Velo DD subs are tempting but secondary now.I have so much subwoofing in each room...its sick. [:P]

Stacking subs that go down in "quality", however unnoticable it may be, is stupid (to some extent).

Dont waste your money and buy a dd-15 or dd-12,

Rather, save it up and buy another dd18 to either stack or put on the opposite side of the room as your present dd18.

Why compromise for looks or potential salivation of the viewer? A pyramid style subwoofer is only a result of an obssessive disorder in the brain, known as ear-a-tosis. It doesnt make any sense, sonically or economically. Any audiophile, with even the smallest bit of class will tell you the same.

When you have the coin, buy another dd18.

By the way - I love the dd-18 SBW, Congratulations.

Seriously though ,

What do you think of this idea ?

I purchase a DD 12 and stack it on the DD 18 . I have the DD 18

handling from 40hz on down , and the DD 12 taking care of 40hz to 80 hz

. Slam and Pop . Would I in effect be creating the same dynamics as the

DD 1812 ?

First of all, do you find the DD18 lacking in the 40-80Hz region?

The way I see it, as long as the two different subs aren't operating

over the same passband I see no reason to call it a "bad" idea. It

would definetly give you a little extra tweakability for differences in

recordings.

But what would the overall cost of such a setup be? And how would it be

better than another single system of the same price? I'm not sure what

all you've spent so far, but you've gotta be getting into the Ultra2

and Danley DTS-20 price range...Heck, at this level of cost you're

probably better off going DIY too - TC Sounds has some killer offerings

right now.

Thanks for the comments ,

If you couldn't tell , I have an obsession with the Velodyne DD 1812 . Even more so now since I allmost got my hands on one last month . I really should have stepped up to the plate on that one . The only thing that's going to cure my obsession is to get one . If it doesn't work out I don't think I would lose too much if any money selling it off .

I am very happy with the DD 18 . Very smooth , high quality bass . My next sub upgrade will be in the form of a THX Ultra 2 processor . Is it lacking in the 40-80Hz range ? Certainly not , but the DD 1812 is in my head , and your not going to get the snap from an 18" driver that you would from a 12" driver of equal quality .

If you couldn't tell , I have an obsession with the Velodyne DD 1812 . Even more so now since I allmost got my hands on one last month . I really should have stepped up to the plate on that one . The only thing that's going to cure my obsession is to get one . If it doesn't work out I don't think I would lose too much if any money selling it off .

I am very happy with the DD 18 . Very smooth , high quality bass . My next sub upgrade will be in the form of a THX Ultra 2 processor . Is it lacking in the 40-80Hz range ? Certainly not , but the DD 1812 is in my head , and your not going to get the snap from an 18" driver that you would from a 12" driver of equal quality .

Why such an obsession with the 1812? No offense, but you could easily outdo it for a fraction of the $15,000 asking price. I guess if you have $10,000 mains, $8000 separates and $20,000 amps then it might fit the bill. 15k is way beyond diminished returns. For that it better be able to split my house in two, make me a drink and provide warm company on a cold night.

Why such an obsession with the 1812? No offense, but you could easily outdo it for a fraction of the $15,000 asking price. I guess if you have $10,000 mains, $8000 separates and $20,000 amps then it might fit the bill. 15k is way beyond diminished returns. For that it better be able to split my house in two, make me a drink and provide warm company on a cold night.

I was thinking more like 5k to 6k on the used market . The one I bid on was a dealer demo and as long as you picked it up would have had the full factory warranty .

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=9722365687&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1