HK AVR510 ARRIVED! (Wiring questions to follow)

BigBusa

My reciever just showed up! I'm happy as a pig in shiite but I havent had to make 9 trips to the mall to get the correct interconnects. I'd like to go just once Smile.gif

I'm a little unsure which connections to use.

My dvd has optical, component, s-video and rca jacks.

My vcr only has rca jacks (its old)

My tv has rca and s-video (its old)

My new reciever of course has all of the above.

I guess the only real dilemma is the dvd connection to the reciever. Optical or component? Then from the reciever to the tv I can use the s video? Is using different modes of connection going to negatively affect anything when I'm all done?

I don't want to cheese this together .

thanks

------------------

My system thus far:

1980 Cornwalls (mains)

1990 Heresy II's (rears)

2001 KLF-C7 (center)

2001 KSW15 (Subwoofer)

HK AVR 510 (reciever - coming soon!)

Kenwood DV402 (DVD)

Sony KV 27V55 (9 year old 27" TV)

Albany.gif

This message has been edited by BigBusa on 11-08-2001 at 11:53 AM

Hey BigBusa,

As for connections I would do it as follows:

DVD to Receiver VIA optical for digital audio, and S-video for the video signal, (you can't use component video for your TV doesn't have the necassary input)

VCR to Receiver w/ Three-way a/v patch cables for audio and video.

Receiver to TV w/ Single Composite video cable & single s-video cable from the monitored outputs on receiver.

Do you have a cable box/satellite receiver?

This will leave your television as a monitor only-all of your sound will be coming from the surround speakers at all times.

Also is your s-video input the same as your composite video input? Some of the older sonys will only accept a single source if both are on the same input ie., the s-video will override the composite input even if not sending a signal. In that case you should go all composite or you'll be switching cables everytime you go from DVD to VCR.

Hope this helps,

--Da' HOG

------------------

LSU PAINTBALL- We'll cover you with our balls!

Paintball players do it 'till their balls break!

1 Pair KLF-30's

Sonic Frontiers SFL-1 Pre-amp

Carver TFM-45 Amp

Teac AD-4 CD Player

***Needed VPI HW Series Turntable*** Anybody Sellin'?

Hi Big - Have fun!

The DVD connection has 2 pieces - audio and video. The audio connection will be either optical or coax electrical, both of which are digital. I can't hear a difference between them, so I'd say use whichever you feel like spending your money on. The electrical connection just uses a good quality video interconnect. The fact that the packaging may say digital coax on it only serves to raise the price.

Does the Onkyo convert component/composite to S-video? Unless it says it does, it probably does not. Therefore, unless you want to run all video connections as composite (RCA), the receiver probably won't be able to do the video switching for you since you would be using both s-video and composite and you would need to change the input selection on the TV to switch between them. The benefits of s-video over composite are too great to ignore using the s-video from the DVD.

If that's the case, you might as well wire s-video directly from the DVD to the TV, since running it through the Onkyo won't gain you anything, inasmuch as you'll still have to select the correct video source on the TV.

You will also need to connect the VCR to the receiver and the receiver to the TV via RCA since your receiver (guessing again) does not convert composite to s-video, and your receiver will need a TV connection to give you the on-screen display.

Doug

Doug if I wire the dvd directly to the TV via s-video cable wouldn't I be bypassing the reciever which is supposed to decode the dvd signal and produce the surround sound?

I do have a cable box but it doesn't connect in with the reciever. It only has the connections for the cable wire in and out. I have no idea if the harmon kardon avr510 switches composite to s-video.

Easy setup! Ya right! HAHA This is confusing to me! Believe it or not this is the first time in my 34 years that I am absolutely sure that all the speaker wires are properly connected (positive and negative)! I always got sound either way so I didn't worry about it! This is how behind the times I am Smile.gif

So far so good. Thanks for the help guys Smile.gif

------------------

My system thus far:

1980 Cornwalls (mains)

1990 Heresy II's (rears)

2001 KLF-C7 (center)

2001 KSW15 (Subwoofer)

Kenwood DV402 (DVD)

Albany.gif

This message has been edited by BigBusa on 11-08-2001 at 03:51 PM

Big...

I have the HK AVR7000 and I suspect you will fall in love with your 510. I am going to try and explain your DVD connection in as simple terms as possible.

DVD Connection:

Sound: Use a optical cable for sound (it is not that I prefer optical it is just that most other digital sources don't give you a choice, they just stick you with coax because the tech is more common). This will allow for more additions of digital sources in the future (digital cable or satalite, CD players and whatever else you can through at the 510). A $20 to $50 cable should do just fine. Typically the difference in optical cables is just the sturdiness of the cable, not the sound. A better cable will fit better in the connector and will be less likely to kink causing complete or partial loss of sound. Optical cables transport sound data using light so there is no interference from outside sources.

Video: This area is a little gray. I would just use a decent s-video cable directly from the DVD player to the TV. The video signal coming from the DVD player does not need to be decoded, it is ready for viewing. A good cable will have some heft to it, heavier shielding and decent gauge wiring. The difference between s-video and composite (single RCA connector, usually yellow) is nothing short of stunning. The jump from s-video to component (three seperate RCA connectors, ussually red, green, and blue) is less visible, but still improved. Lessen here is: if you get a new TV make sure it has component video.

TV Connection:

Sound: This is NOT for DVD playback, but for watching TV. Connect the stereo RCA outs to the receiver's TV audio inputs. You will be pleasantly surprised by the Logic7 surround mode. It is the same basic philosophy as ProLogicII. It really sounds pretty darn ggod for analog. If you connect your VCR to the TV in the normal fashion you will be able to use this connection to watch movies on the VCR, providing the VCR is stereo.

I hope this helps.

Also if you have a CD player that is equipped with a digital out, utilize it. You won't believe how much improvement the 510's DAC's will make over most regular CD players. If not, try playing you favorite CD's on your DVD player after you hook up the optical cable. You will not be disappointed.

Good luck and enjoy!!!

JT

Email me if you have any specific questions.

Decibel's got it right. The only clarification, just so it doesn't get lost, is that there is NO audio signal in the s-video cable. Thus, as he says, you don't need to connect the DVD's video connection to the receiver for any decoding.

And Big, don't feel ignorant. Smile.gif We all went through it (and still are). When I first got my DVD player, I was totally thrown by bass management, 5.1, etc...

And did you ever wonder why audio is spelled with an "io" and video has an "eo?" Me neither, but I just noticed that...

Doug

Mister Big this just has to stop right now!!!cwm12.gif

Actually I love it you are making a twin of my system :-). I have my stuff connected the HK 510 the following way:

TV to Receiver S-Video

DVD S-Video and Optical Digital

CD Coax Digital

VCR S-Video (converted from composite with a $20 Radio Shack part) RCA audio

Digital Cable S-Video (converted from composite same as above) RCA audio

Computer S-Video RCA audio

I keep the TV on the S-Video input and use the HK 510 to switch between all the sources. I think you will love the amp. It will rock the Cornwalls and Heresys. The HK will not convert between different types of video sources so if you are running S-Video to the TV then all inputs need to be in S-Video. I have been through almost all configurations and I think this works best. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Laters,cwm9.gif

------------------

...wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world...

My Home Theater Page

HAHA EQ_shad honestly, I didn't even know you had an AVR510! I may have if I paid more attention to your home theater page. This is too funny ..!I bought this because I heard it at circuit city a few days back and and liked it a lot. The reviewers at www.audioreviews.com said a lot of good things about it too. Ubid had it for $409 so I went for it. It is a pretty piece ain't it!

I appreciate all the advice guys. I'm going to be using it all tomorrow too! I also called HK's tech line and got a guy named Tom who has all Klipsch speakers hooked to an AVR7000 for his personal system. He was a HUGE help to me. He even gave me his extension if I need to call him again! Pretty cool customer service. Smile.gif

I asked him about the lackluster bass I was getting with the AVR510 hooked to the ksw15 (which he also has). He told me that there is a subwoofer gain in the menu that I should turn to +10 and then set the bass control on the reciever and the ksw15 accordingly. I know the gain for the sub is on zero now. As it is now with the bass on full and both dials cranked all the way up on the sub I am not overwhelmed. It does pump out some bass but it hasn't given me that "tickled my guts" feeling yet! :biggrin

I'll get it all figured out tomorrow with all this great info & advice.

------------------

My system thus far:

1980 Cornwalls (mains)

1990 Heresy II's (rears)

2001 KLF-C7 (center)

2001 KSW15 (Subwoofer)

Kenwood DV402 (DVD)

Albany.gif

EQ isn't that SPL thing in the avr510 remote the same thing ...basically? That's the coolest thing how the reciever sets up the speakers automatically!

------------------

My system thus far:

1980 Cornwalls (mains)

1990 Heresy II's (rears)

2001 KLF-C7 (center)

2001 KSW15 (Subwoofer)

Kenwood DV402 (DVD)

Albany.gif

This message has been edited by BigBusa on 11-09-2001 at 02:16 PM

Busa,

It doesn't set them up automatically. You will need the RS SPL meter and either the AVIA or Video Essentials (VE) DVD. With these 2 items you can dial in the system (Fronts, Center, Surrounds and Sub). The DVD's will tell you exactly what to do and how to use the SPL meter. If you have any questions, just shoot me an Email...

Mike

------------------

My Music Systems

Biggie -

Yes the EZ-Set system that comes with the HK510 will automatically set up the Fronts, center, and surrounds (for those of you who don't know the ez-set system is a 2 way communication between a mic in the remote and receiver that will correctly calibrate the system using the white (or pink??) noise from the receiver). This is a big selling point for the HK unit.

I have used both the ez-set and my SLP meter with video essentials and they come out the same. HOWEVER the ez-set will not set up the subwoofer level. This is also an important level to set so unfortunatly you still need to get Video Essientials or AVIA and an SPL if you want to correctly setup the subwoofer level. Using the instructions in the HK manual you can get close but not exact.

Bye,

------------------

My Home Theater Page

EQ_Shad , would you happen to know the part number for the radio shack item that converts composite to s video. I'd like to order it off their website but haven't been able to find it.

thanks

-Don

------------------

My system thus far:

1980 Cornwalls (mains)

1990 Heresy II's (rears)

2001 KLF-C7 (center)

2001 KSW15 (Subwoofer)

Kenwood DV402 (DVD)

Albany.gif

Thank sir_shad! That diagram with good instructions really helps out a somewhat confused newbie Smile.gif

------------------

My system thus far:

1980 Cornwalls (mains)

1990 Heresy II's (rears)

2001 KLF-C7 (center)

2001 KSW15 (Subwoofer)

Kenwood DV402 (DVD)

Albany.gif

I have a funny feeling that my avr510 took a major crap on me just now.

I'm watching the 1st movie through it ...the matrix, because you all said it was a good test movie ...and I realized I was not hearing anything from the rear speakers. Upon closer inspection I hear a low pitched hum that does not fluctuate with different volume levels.

I tried the test tones. The sound goes around to the front three speakers and is heard perfectly but when it gets to the rears ...no sound!

They worked fine the first couple of days. Everything else works fine now! WTF!?

What do you guys think? Do sections of the reciever usually crap out like this? Is there a fool proof way to determine if the rear channels are toast?cwm23.gif

------------------

My system thus far:

1980 Cornwalls (mains)

1990 Heresy II's (rears)

2001 KLF-C7 (center)

2001 KSW15 (Subwoofer)

Kenwood DV402 (DVD)

Albany.gif

Additionally make sure that in the mode you are in that under the speaker selection the rears are activeated and double check your channel level settings. Make sure you are in the correct surround mode and not toggled in something like 3 stereo. The 510 stores all these settings per surround mode. If you are using a mode that you have never setup then you should double check all of the settings. I would not expect the 510 to die like this but I guess stranger things have happened. Also make sure the speakers did not fry.

------------------

My Home Theater Page

This message has been edited by eq_shadimar on 11-12-2001 at 11:20 AM