Advice on v.2-400

jcutrone

I just bought a set of v.2-400 Promedias. Ive only had them a few days and Ive heard some static already. And the quality just didnt sound too great. Also there was 2 or 3 occasions where the sound cut out all together and this horrible ringing sound takes over. I have to reboot to alleviate this problem.

Im using AC'97 onboard audio because my SB Live Value hasnt arrived yet. I have the old CP.

The place i bought them from has a 30 day money back guarantee. Im wondering if I should return them and wait for the 4.1s? Or maybe I should just buy the new CP-1 and keep my existing set?

I can live with using my old speakers for the time being untill the 4.1's come out.

So im thinking returning them and waiting for the new 4.1s is the way to go.

Only 10 days left for my money back guarantee. frown.gif

Thanks for any input.

Thanks for the input guys. I will test them on my Sony STRDE845 reciever. That should tell me for sure if its my computer or the speakers that are the problem, correct?

One more quick question.. Is a SB Live Value card sufficient for these speakers? The one i ordered has 4 channel output + 1 digital.

Thanks again!

Well sure it is! You have everything you need to get the speakers working fine. But I would have suggested takin a retail one (like mp3, xgamer or platinum) since those are gold plated jacks and also, come with a lot of nice goodies that can be useful, difference in price is not that bad... But if you dont want to invest tons of money on a soundcard, the value can fit really well.

A question tough...Do you realise you just bought the best sound system in the universe for computers and that you will buy the cheapest sound card? (I mean, except the PCI 128 or the Guillemot Muse) Oh well, it's your choice.

Cya

return that sblive and get an acoustic edge. after some serious tweaking, i got it to work pretty good with my fps2000 pieces of **** (till the damn 4.1's come out). i replaced my x-gamer with it, which was just fine for me, but not enough umph, if you know what i mean.

J

I just canceled my SB Live Value order. From what i see on pricewatch I can get an MP3 5.1 or an X-Gamer 5.1 for only $20 more.

Which like you said will give me a little better quality (gold connects) and more upgradability. Plus some software.

The cheapest Platinum 5.1 I can find on pricewatch is $160. Why the huge gap?

Well, the Platinum got a front controler (which must be quite expensive only for itself) and you have midi and opticals jacks... Plus so much software you may miss time in this life to check them all! Oh and also the remote control has to get the price a little bit higher.. Oh well, that's a good choice, and I would suggest to take the X-Live gamer, this one is "supposed" to be a little bit better than the mp3... I dont really know, that's what I've heard.

I actually got the XGamer (4.1) and it's really great value.

------------------

I'm the real Mike, and proud of it!

I have a SB Live X-gamer 5.1 and I don't see any gold connects...I do see a black card, though. It comes with lots of software, too, which if you were to buy it retail would outprice the price you would be paying for the card and the software as a package.