My Sony ES receiver caught on FIRE!!!!

DEAM

Here we go..

So I am home and burning a "FAT ONE" (weed is your friend!!)

Anyway I was listening to the Janet Jackson DVD which I often listen to when I need to "unwind" after work. So all is good and I decided I REALLY had the munchies..... I was so high I could not move.

After concentrating for a long time I made my way to the kitchen for some fried chicken from Popeyes a couple days ago. All of a sudden on the DVD there was a explosion that was planned, But I thought they had killed Janet. (HAHAHAHAHA)

After laughing like a jackass with myself I smelled a strong burning smell....I thought I had dropped my "friend" in the sofa. When I got to the sofa I saw my friend in the ashtray.(WHEW) Then it got real electronic smelling. Thinking I had blown a couple drivers again I headed toward the A/V rack. IT WAS THEN I REALIZED MY SONY ES RECEIVER WAS ON FIRE!!!!!!!!

I CAN NOT TELL YOU HOW PISSED I AM TO FIND OUT THERE WAS A RECALL ON SONY ES RECEIVERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The point of this is if any of you use Sony ES headunits BE AWARE OF THIS SERIOUS ISSUE...(GET RID OF IT NOW!!!!)

I am now in touch with an lawyer for my legal rights about this incident..

Well back to my "BIG FAT ONE" without a receiver!!

I think I will look into B & K.

LOL

Good one DEAM,I never knew recievers could be on fire!

That is what I call a hot reciever,Avman may start some fireworks soon. cwm3.gif

Oh yes the B&K reciever is way more expensive but the quality is in another class.B&K recievers are the most musical recievers you can buy,and great for HT(duh).

I doubt the B&K will be as hot as the Sony. cwm1.gif

TheEAR(s) Now theears

When I bought my Heresys in 1981, all I cold afford to drive them at the time was a 25 watt sony Receiver. Extra money came soon after, so I bought a Sony casette deck and sony turntable to go with it (CDs were only rumors in those days). The Sony Receiver lacked any sort of power especially in the bass (exaggerated by the Heresy's lack of Bass). It had a great tuner though.

Anyhoo..

One day less than a month after the warranty ran out on the receiver, I noticed smoke coming out of the top of it followed in a moment by no more sound from my speakers. All the fuses were undamaged, but several transistors looked fried. It wasn't even playing loud.

After replacing the Receiver, life was back to normal for a few months until the Casette deck refused to answer the call of its touch sensitive buttons. Checking the bill of sale...yup, Three monts after the warranty ran out.

I swore I would never buy another Sony product (aside frm their televisions where I have known several to run for 10 years without any degredation of picture quality an no other service needed).

Sony Audio is crap.

(PS...I still have the turntable. It likely will be the only turntable I will ever need).

well, it sounds to me like the ratio of CURRENT sony es product owners who are happy w/their equipment just went UP since you're no longer in that #. it's too bad that your 777es couldn't have had a more responsible owner so it could have been properly cared for. oh well-1 less thing in common with someone i'd rather disassociate myself withcwm6.gif

------------------

1-pair klf 30's

c-7 center

ksps-6 surrounds

sony strda-777ES receiver upgraded to v.2.02 including virtual matrix 6.1

sony playstation 2

dishnetwork model 7200 dishplayer satellite receiver/digital bitstream recorder

pioneer dvd player

sharp 32"tv and sharp xv-z1u lcd projector

panamax max dbs+5 surge protector/power conditioner

monster cable interconnects/12 gua.speaker wire

a 'teens' sub coming!(RSW-15 LOOKIN'GOOD!)

KLIPSCH-So Good It Hz!

Avman,

hold on , this will sting..

properly cared for????!!!!!?????!!!!

i treated that piece of s%$t better than my old denon that worked fine for years....

too bad the denon does not have surround features!!!!

i hate to break this to you but, sony is not "high-end"

by a long shot , someone really has your mind lost.

you must be a sony es dealer to like it so much. i just got my hands on a dealer cost sheet and the mark up is robbery!!!!

my lawyer found out there was a major recall sent out on these japanese paper weights. did you know that mr.sony???

i can't believe someone who claims to be in the business for so long would like sony...i remember i thought bose was high-end then i learned alot about them and realized what a rip off is. sony is the same way.

remember marketing can sell anything...

i don't sell es, just lucky i got the one i have. it's a cut-above current es product, and an exceptional product as receivers go...too bad for yours, you don't know what its' capabilities were, except that it was capable of catching on fire...now you've got a good reason to get something other than (as you put it) a piece of s%$t sony, and find some other brand to complain about.

------------------

1-pair klf 30's

c-7 center

ksps-6 surrounds

sony playstation 2

pioneer dvd player

KLIPSCH-So Good It Hz!

ES may be a bit overpriced, but it's not "bad".

i have an str-db830 that does the job quite nicely.

but of course if i was to spend ES money i'd probably go for Denon or some other brand that gives me a little more quality/brand reassurance.

Calm down Klipschers

Sony ES is NOT crap,I have a SONY SCD-1 SACD player in my my music system and its a beauty.The built quality and the sound quality are both AMAZING.

Sony ES products are quality products,and the Sony ES recievers are no garbage.Far from it.Bad things can happen.Perfection is out of this world

When one product I have goes bad it does not mean the hole range is crap.Some are very radical here

DEAM at least you had a free fireworks show!

TheEAR(s) Now theears

you guys have got to be kidding-or mis-informed, sony makes a variety of good products, some exceptional products, and some that no other company has the capability to make! across-the-board, sony video products are the best, they have a tremendous presence in commercial video production, sound processing/mixing equipment,cd and dvd manufacturing...the list goes on and on. es is their flagship home audio brand, and while there is-and has been-variance of build quality/innovative engineering from model-to-model and year-to-year, generally their es product is a better-than-average product, and many have been exceptional! check your denon's and the rest of the pre-amps/receivers out there...if yours isn't upgradable, be prepared to buy another, or get left behind. i realise that my 777es, while upgradeable, may not have dpl-2, nor may an upgrade be available for dpl-2, however there have been upgrades along the way i missed, and then i got all those upgrades WITH virtual matrix 6.1 and WOW! what an impact. HOORAY SONY! i'm thankful i got such a kick a** receiver, too bad deam didn't sell his to a good home before he lit it on fire. avman.

------------------

1-pair klf 30's

c-7 center

ksps-6 surrounds

sony playstation 2

pioneer dvd player

KLIPSCH-So Good It Hz!

Sony is like IBM. They have one helluva huge research department. They also have a huge market presence due to the work of their salesmen over the years. Because they offer such a wide range of products (some very speacialized) they can't help but do a few things right.

The receiver and tape deck that I referred to earlier were not ES components (in fact I don't believe the ES line was available in 1981). I forgot to add my Sony Betamax to that list of items that died after warranty but well before their time. (Picture quality on the beta by my memory still beats most VHS players.)

My suggestion for a Sony ES replacement is Rotel. Rotel seems to have a lot better build quality; has excellent specs; most models receive raves from reviewers as sounding as good as units two and three times their price. Their equipment from about 1997 on has become exceptional (although sometimes has some quirky styling). I liken them to the early years of NAD. Solid, stable, clean.

of course companies evolve/change/hit the skids over time. take kenwood fe. my 1975 stereo kr-9600 (which has a perfect 5 star rating on audioreview btw Wink.gif) can keep up w/ the best of the ears top $ amps on stereo Wink.gif

great quality unit. but now ken has gone downhill & gotten a bad rep. though now it appears they're reinventing themselves w/ the new ken./sovreign (sp?) line.

maybe i'm paranoid now or ears put a vodoo curse on my equip for saying the above Wink.gif, but my brand new marantz mono amp ma6100 seems to have a slight stringent burning smell coming out. no smoke though. this typical for amp "burn-in" anybody?

------------------

My Home Systems Page

boa:

check beneath the amp to see if the thing is melting through venting holes. You know: the thing with the thing....

I'm not familiar with the mag, but I understand there are quite a few components from Sony that have made it to the coveted "Recommended Components" list. I doubt that Stereophile would recommend the gear only because the machine was innovative. I'm certain that the listening tests have a bit to do with the evaluation.

It's not drugs that kill people, it's me.

------------------

May the bridges we burn light our way....

Boa,

You can make jokes but answer this...

Can your "GREAT" reciever drive Thiel 3.6 speakers to loud levels?And maintain grip on the bass?

Can your "GREAT" reciever control woofers as well as my

amps?

Can your "GREAT" reciever match the signal to noise ratio of my amps?

Can your "GREAT" reciever double its rated 8 Ohms output power into 4 Ohms and then again into 2 Ohms?

NOT NOT NOT and NOT

cwm3.gif

Just so you know Boa,dont even try and compare ANY reciever to a Krell FBP600.The result will be a complete domination and destruction of any would be "GREAT" reciever.Heck bring on any amp under 15 grand on.

Smile.gif

If you ask ANY reciever to match the Krell FPB600 you would have to replace all rail fuses(all fuses period)with nails.And even then the dinky power supplies and childish output stages would overheat and start another fire,DEAM would be proud of.

TheEAR(s) Now theears