Top 10 reasons Americans are so fat

Top 10
They looked at more than 100 studies on potential contributors to obesity besides diet and exercise, and concluded there was at least some support for 10:

1. Inadequate sleep. (Average sleep amounts have fallen, and many studies tie sleep deprivation to weight gain.)

2. Endocrine disruptors, which are substances in some foods that may alter fats in the body.

3. Nice temperatures. (Air conditioning and heating limit calories burned from sweating and shivering.)

4. Fewer people smoking. (Less appetite supression.)

5. Medicines that cause weight gain.

6. Population changes. (More middle-agers and Hispanics, who have higher obesity rates.)

7. Older birth moms. (That correlates with heavier children).

8. Genetic influences during pregnancy.

9. Darwinian natural selection. (Fat people outsurvive skinny ones).

10. Assortative mating, or "like mating with like," as Allison puts it. Translation: fat people procreating with others of the same body type, gradually skewing the population toward the heavy end.

Here is the link to the full article

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/13562741/

I think I can do something about:

#1, get more sleep

#2 ??!!

#3, I like A/C but could forgo it, or perhaps just make so cold in the summer that I shiver.

#4 I don't smoke, but can try.

#5 Not on any meds, at least not perscribed by a doctor

#7 Don't sleep with old chicks, I can follow that one

#9 I don't get, I thought fat people have heart attacks, adult onset of diabetes, etc.

#10 Don't sleep with fat chick, thats a good rule.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, I'm totally screwed here. I don't sleep well, take script drugs, eat like a large child, don't smoke much, and only older fat chicks would have me, if at all.

Just use the lumber from a couple of the CW cabs and build me a simple wooden box, will ya? [:(]

Michael

Well those are ten reasons, but as I understand it we still have the genes of those guys having to run accross the fields escaping predators more fit to run and fight and having to roam around all day long to collect a handfull of berries and a roasted fieldmouse. (That's why our babies make that earbleeding noise, so we can hear trouble from hundreds of yards away, but now go insane in our small comfy concrete caves) Our body is made to survive days of hunger and therefore all extras are immediately stored in our bellies and thighs. Our lives are just too damn easy and our beer just tastes too damn good... Sounds good, cheers!

Top 10

They looked at more than 100 studies on potential contributors to obesity besides diet and exercise, and concluded there was at least some support for 10:

The key is to pay attention to the bolded part. Everything else is bollocks, really. Americans are fat, cause for the most part, they are content, lazy, and gluttonous in all the wrong ways. We've become a culture of such a high average income, and such available luxuries that we have become fat and complacent.

How ironic that this gets posted the first day that my wife and I start our diet!

I'm 5 foot 10, just weighed myself this morning at 206 pounds. I've always been on the bigger side. My goal is to weigh 180 by the end of the year. Diet and exercise and getting more sleep are my three plans of attack.

Top 10

The key is to pay attention to the bolded part. Everything else is bollocks, really. Americans are fat, cause for the most part, they are content, lazy, and gluttonous in all the wrong ways. We've become a culture of such a high average income, and such available luxuries that we have become fat and complacent.

Does that mean you bypass the elevator and take the stairs to and fro your new cool apartment? What floor is that on anyway? Nice view, btw I am not argueing with what you said, think your right.

Top 10

Does that mean you bypass the elevator and take the stairs to and fro your new cool apartment? What floor is that on anyway? Nice view, btw I am not argueing with what you said, think your right.

It's on the 7th floor. And no, I don't take the stairs... but I have a very rigorous exercise schedule. I run 3 days a week, lift weights 3 days a week, and swim 1 day a week. I exercise in the morning every single day, other than the past week or so, but that was because I had injured my shoulder wrestling.

I am also enrolling in Krav Maga classes at the end of the summer (can't now, due to time constraints).

I am guilty of the naziesque opinion that people are fat because they let themselves get fat. The exception being when it is a result of a medical condition. They can get thin when they put out the physical and mental effort to get thin. It is a scientific fact that because of our genes we are predisposed to get fat in order to survive times of scarcity. This occasion simply does not occur like it did during the process of evolution. Therefore ironically it takes our genetically inherited intelligence to overcome our genetically inherited food choices.

Could the Klipsch Forum be a contributer ?

It could be if your eating deep fried chicken and whipped mash potatoes infused with butter, sour cream and a little garlic while typing your reponses the way I do. Hey typing must burn some calories, right?

Could the Klipsch Forum be a contributer ?

It could be if your eating deep fried chicken and whipped mash potatoes infused with butter, sour cream and a little garlic while typing your reponses the way I do. Hey typing must burn some calories, right?

I didn't think overweight would a problem in Hong Kong, is that why you live there?

How ironic that this gets posted the first day that my wife and I start our diet!

I'm 5 foot 10, just weighed myself this morning at 206 pounds. I've always been on the bigger side. My goal is to weigh 180 by the end of the year. Diet and exercise and getting more sleep are my three plans of attack.

Check out "Body for Life" by Bill Philips! A great book, with lots of motivation, recipes, exercise charts etc..