Record players

erikm121

From what I gather there are still a variety of companies out there

making new turntables with widely varying price points. Music Hall and

Rega are two at the lower end of the "good" turntables and I'm sure

there are others.

Could you give us an idea of what kind of budget you are looking at for

the turntable? Also, weather you have a good cartridge and even weather

you want to have a moving magnet or moving coil cart?

I think that will help folks refine their recommendations.

Also there is a thread runing here right now that has some excellent suggestions for those just getting into viynl.

Thanks for the replys. As for budget maybe $100-200ish. Nothing firm on that.

Wow Thebes you are talking way over my head...lol. I need to do some more reading and learning. Find out what is what. I am just interested in some casual listening. I almost have my basement done and am anxious to get things hooked up.

Ahhh...as for calling it a record player......:) I guess thats a throw back from the little box I had as a kid. Turntable or TT ( I keep thinking car on that one) is a lot better now.......lol Thanks for the tip.......:)

Wow I had no idea of the price turntables command now..........I'm going to have to rethink this if it'll cost $400 for an entry level player.

There is nothing wrong or ignoble with buying a good quality used TT in your $200 or less price range. Most likely you can get a better sounding one used.

Rick

There are tons of good used turntables on ebay.

One good brand to look for is Technics. Most are direct drive models with decent tone arms and models like the SL1300 are semi-automatic. A recent ebay sale of a 1300 included the excellent Shure V15-III cartridge, with often sells for more by itself than the $150 (incl. shipping) that this outfit sold for. Look for semi-automatic operation and higher model numbers (SL-1300 vs. SLD2) and avoid DJ models like the SL1200.

Pioneer and Marantz have some very good semi-automatic models too. Avoid Garrard and Dual only because they had some very cheap models and you can overpay if you don't know what you are buying.

Used tt's are fine, but I'd recommend buying local if at all possible. The average eBAY seller (and even some of the hifi-savvy ones) either don't know how to pack a tt for shipping or are too trusting of the trained orang-utans at the major shipping concerns who handle the packages while they're in transit.

At minimum, it's essential to remove the counterweight and platter, isolaing them in a 'subpackage'. Also it's very important to tie down the tonearm. Don't be shy in asking a seller as to their packing routine for a tt, and/or don't be shy to TELL 'em how you want it packed.

http://audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=21161&page=1&pp=15

http://wardsweb.org/packandship/

http://www.theturntablefactory.com/packing.html