SVS Plus 12.3 driver upgrade

ajcllc

It's absolutely a sweet deal. The midbase headroom has been improved but not at the expense of the existing subsonic volume. A little smoother overall.

I was kind of waiting for someone else to chime in regarding the audible difference.

I remember someone saying now that the 12.3 driver is out there will be a flood of svs drivers out on ebay etc. People are trying to get the T/S parameters to make appropriate boxes....

I ordered mine last month but it hasn't shipped & yes you get to keep the old driver.

Use those.. same motor, similar cone, same surround, same coil (or very similar coil), however the TC-1000 only uses one spider so its more compliant, more efficient and have slightly lower Q.

http://www.tcsounds.com/tc1000.htm<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

I think the biggest difference in the 12.3's is the lower DCR from the new coil to get more power form the amp. Certainly a great upgrade for the system, but the driver is really not much different as far as performance, especially when you consider that youll have a different amp anyway if this is a DIY project after all. Is it worth 99 bucks, thats up to you. I would say for peace of mind of having the latest gear, yes upgrade for sure, but for actual performance differences, borderline placebo unless you could measure it very carefully. Better midbass? Thats a matter of EQ, not really anything to do with the driver, unless the inductance is super high, which it was not.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,

Well I do own the +2 sub with 12.3 driver.

We did compare it to a +2 sub with the 12.2 driver, which already were fine drivers !!

Pro 12.3:

-even faster reaction

-improved mid bass

-more musical

-improved efficiency

I installed the12.3 yesterday in my 2039 PC+. I agree mid bass is much better. It is certainly more musical. I don't understand the acoustics but the whole sound is improved in my 6.1 configuration.

REALLY...glad to see SVS has 'upgraded' their website to include a forum board for discussion at this time, sorry, thought SVS was killed off of this forum awhile back when it was "disclosed" this was actually a Klipsch Forum owned by the Owners of Klipsch...Good to see TomV and Co. of SVS Ownership Group are still cheap with no forum and use the KLIPSCH Forum and others for their product, but RICH in the process.....YOU GO GIRLS.....[;)]

"REALLY...glad to see SVS has 'upgraded' their website to include a forum board for discussion at this time, sorry, thought SVS was killed off of this forum awhile back when it was "disclosed" this was actually a Klipsch Forum owned by the Owners of Klipsch...Good to see TomV and Co. of SVS Ownership Group are still cheap with no forum and use the KLIPSCH Forum and others for their product, but RICH in the process.....YOU GO GIRLS...."

[sigh] Everyone, hurry up - lets talk about SVS real briefly because some individuals are again starting to become offended that the dreaded "SVS subs" are being discussed in this forum. Lets not have that visceral reaction though when any other brands of speakers are discussed (including other brands of horns or gasp, conventional speakers), other brands of subs (QVC, TC Sounds, Dayton [insert flavor of the month]) or when other brands of amps are brought up besides Aragon............

After all, we would like to confine our intolerance to one brand only - "SVS." [:'(]

In any event, back to the SVS discussion. For those PCi owners, I can tell you that the NSD driver upgrade is worth it - at least to me. Prior to the Battle of the Amps gathering (in St. Louis a couple of weekends ago), I installed two upgraded NSD drivers in my PB2. I heard tighter mid-bass and more musical sounding low bass. Better integration with my Belles - more seamless than before. In fact, several in the room during the session commented that they could not distinguish the sub from the rest of the large horns. That is a good thing. Also, having heard some plus drivers, the new NSD drivers do sound more like the old plus series as opposed to the prior ISD series.

Great job - Tom V., Ron S. and Co.

Carl.

P.S. I would also like to offer congrats to Klipsch on their new line of subs. New models like the RT-12d are certainly attractive. Now, with respect to the MSRP.of that model..........

REALLY...glad to see SVS has 'upgraded' their website to include a forum board for discussion at this time, sorry, thought SVS was killed off of this forum awhile back when it was "disclosed" this was actually a Klipsch Forum owned by the Owners of Klipsch...Good to see TomV and Co. of SVS Ownership Group are still cheap with no forum and use the KLIPSCH Forum and others for their product, but RICH in the process.....YOU GO GIRLS.....[;)]

Aww, sounds like somebody doesn't believe in their own equipment.

Sorry, but if this forum was restricted to Klipsch equipment only it would be endless threads like "My sub-12 beats your sub-12."

Aww, sounds like somebody doesn't believe in their own equipment.

I know what he is talking about.

Wish I would have jumped on the $100 dollar special when it was available, maybe in the future.......[H]

Carl,

I agree with you on the performance of the new 12.3 drivers. I installed them in my PB12-Plus/2 over the weekend and was amazed at the difference in the mid-bass and low end bass during music on CD's and concert DVD's.

Great upgrade from SVS. I don't know what I am going to do with the old 12.2 drivers.