Basic Speaker Question

alynmar

al, not unless u have or plan on getting an a/v receiver or set-up (5.1 channels or more w/ decoders).

& then i'd say only if that has a 5 or more channel stereo feature. because I don't have, for music, I usually only use my fronts & sub only. what's that other 20% used for?

------------------

RF-3 (front), RC-3, Cornwall I (rear)

Velodyne HGS-15 sub

Monsterbass 400 sub cables & Monster Z-12 speak wire

Sony de935 a/v receiver

Sony DVP-C650D dvdp

Sony Trinitron 27" tv

Technics dual cassette deck

Technics direct drive turntable

Scientific Atlanta Explorer 2000 digital cable box

rock on!

Thanks BOA12. I do have a JVC 1028VBK receiver that is 5.1 channel audio so I can hook the system to my monitor which is a 36" Toshiba for home theater applications, but music is still the primary application. Would the surrounds be a enhancement? I have been told that in non video applications a center channel will cut out.

Thanks again!

quote:

Originally posted by boa12:

al, not unless u have or plan on getting an a/v receiver or set-up (5.1 channels or more w/ decoders).

& then i'd say only if that has a 5 or more channel stereo feature. because I don't have, for music, I usually only use my fronts & sub only. what's that other 20% used for?

------------------

it looks like w/ your receiver you'd only get

a dolby prologic mix using the dsp modes for cd music (which gives a synthetic center channel which blends the L & R). i don't like that for music CDs (unnatural sounding) so for that i just go w/ stereo mode not using the center & rears. but the 5.1 dsp modes are great for HT & music DVD (like Eagles Hell Freezes Over in DTS). so it depends if the added cost would be worth that capability for

u then.

The HT receivers I've worked with all allow 5.1 output with a music CD feed. They do not cut out for lack of a video input. These HT receivers usually have "hall" settings which you can fool with. As Boa points out, there can be some un natural results when they add reverb. Some sound better than others. The less reverb the better, in my experience.

If you have questions, you should bring a music CD over to a dealer and try playing on an HT system. I think you'll like it. If you can borrow some speakers, you should try it at home. Do go through the set up tests to balance the outputs of the speakers. Purists say, correctly, it is best if the speakers are factory matched. But you can have a lot of fun without perfection.

In my experience, with wide spaced flanking speakers, the center channel is a very nice fill and well worth it. Pop singers place in the center channel. Classical benefits too. You read a lot about "sound stage" with the right amp. But the center speaker really makes it right.

The surrounds help with ordinary classical even which is not mixed in Dolby. Some newer recordings are Dolby 5.1 mixed.

Remember, the original Dolby system is just a way of getting the most out of a two track recording.

The surrounds give hall ambiance to classical. Depending on the recording, you do have to fool with the settings. I wouldn't say that all pop recordings do well with surround. Some do.

I think you should try it. I predict you'll like the opportunity to experiment.

Gil