Finally got to hear the Rf7's y'all been talking about...

maxg

At the local high end show. Klipsch in the form of the local distributor (Laios) has 4 rooms, 3 of which are Klipsch with one dedicated to a turntable / Horn setup which has already been recognised as best in show (the Martin Logan large electrostatics were second - LOL).

Anyway in one room they had the main speaker selection ranging from the Promedia's (very impressive for the size/price) throught the RF3 / 5 and 7.

This is a very optimised setup with an Accuphase E306 (about 150 wpc into 8 ohms) amp and Accuphase model 60 CD player.

The cabling is good stuff too. The RF7's are connected with about $7000 worth of silver somethingorothers.

Anyway, to the RF7's - wow. Having heard the very mixed reviews I was not expecting much. This is the closest thing to a Heritage speaker Klipsch has produced in a long time IMHO. Like a Heresy but with some serious bass. That bass is tight and well controlled highs are breezy and mids strong.

All in all I was impressed, and they do a lot better job with classical than the RF3's.

Were I currenly in the market the RF7's would command my very serious attention.

Good you saw the light,like I said the RF-7's are very good speakers if matched with proper gear.The synergy is very important,with some gear you get mixe results with the right gear you get MUSIC.

The RF-7 is a superb buy,a bargain.

The RF-7's are way better then the RF-3's.Its not even open for debate.

TheEAR(s) Now theears

I did not have the oportunity to listen to the RF-7 already over here in Switzerland. Did you do some serious classical-listening??? How is the resonance-behaviour in the lower midrange and higer bass-region with critical instruments like piano and cello?

I was able to optimise my system with Chorus II that it sounds just wonderful with any music including the really demanding classical stuff. Is a good driven and placed RF-7 "acceptable", "just good" or "reeeeeally good" for classical?

So or so, can't wait to hear them! Thanks for any answers.

Mark

I like my RF-7's alot,with the splendid hiss(this is an amp sub for goodness sake)from the Carver TFM-75 (750W RMS into 8 Ohms/per channel,full bandwith)the output meters move only a tiny bit and my eardrums reach their peak to peak limits!Thank God for the built in servo control in my ears.

You can drive these with even modest(power)amps and most will think you are hiding a Monster Reference Krell TM(trademark of Colin)amp.

Slam and high output are its forte.

TheEAR(s) Now theears

OK - show's over and I completely overdosed on listening (approx. 20 hours listening to systems instead of to music if you know what I mean).

The RF7 is a stand out speaker from the show (along with the KHOrns, the Martin Logan and another pair of electronstatic speakers called Finals).

The RF7 is, IMHO, the first of the reference series that can almost match the Heritage range where it counts for me - in the mids and highs. Previously I have found that the horn drivers on the reference range were lacking in comparison to the Heresy's (for example) although obviously the bass is far larger.

My test pieces for the speakers were: Dire Straits - Private investigations, Three Blind Mice test recording with Bridge over Troubled water and Dvorak's New World Symphony Ist movement.

In other words, rock jazz and classical which covers 99% of my collection. I?t handled the lot with aplomb and I was particulary taken with the staging of the classical work, although tonally I might question the Kettle drum that plays such a large part in the first movement bit it would be a minor quibble.

Trumpets, sax and voice are particularly well reproduced (possibly as well as on my Heresy's - although I did not have them side by side for comparison and was therefore working from memory).

Strings are not (IMHO as always) a strong point of the reproduction on Klipsch speakers generically. For me even the KHorn over-emphasises the string draw in relation to the trial off resulting in a higher impact than I have experienced live. This can be wearing over time and tends to tire me as a listener. The RF7 is no exception to the rule and if anything may suffer worse, although with so many hours listening I was tired already.

At some point I will tell you all about those Finals (the electrostatic speakers) if you are interested. They make an interesting counterpoint to Klipsch approaching music from a completely different direction.

Switched the amps today!The Carver TFM-75 awaits sub duty(when I order and get my SVS Ultras)not the Celeste 4070 is back in action.WOW what a change,for the better.Now when no signal is amplified the speakers are almost silent and when the signal gets in its pure musicality.AH

Amps sound the same.NOT

TheEAR(s) Now theears