Riser for Quartet.

WMcD

Over the months I've been working on the bass bin in the Caves. For day to day listening the Quartets are the major source.

One issue is that they are short. So something had to be done to get the mid and tweeter up to ear level.

There could be a stand made out of pipe, etc. My thought was that a matching box under the speakers would do the same job.

I had planned a nice curved base based on an elipse. Cutting it with a hand guided jig saw turned out somewhat ragged. You can't see it, but these are good, but not great, curves

As you can see, there are tangs to engage the voids in the bottom of the Quartets.

Gil

'

post-2552-1381930439582_thumb.jpg

Here is the whole effect.

I do have the Q's more out out in the room. There is some argument to be made that a stand like these are better for bass than a table-like stand with a void below.

My guess is that anyone is better off with the taller Forte.

Best,

Gil

post-2552-13819304400004_thumb.jpg

Those are very pretty risers. I like the elliptical base on them. Very nice job.

I made table like risers out of oak boards for my Quartets and I did notice a lessening of the bass when they were on them. But bringing the tweeter and horns up to ear level made all the difference for listening. I used the sub to compensate for the bass.

• 2 years later...

Nice, I am considering doing the same thing, though using oak 2x4 or 6 or 8 for my oak Fortes.

So what was your total height when done, and having lived with them for a while, would you stay with that height?

Do you have an opinion about spikes with regard to thick carpeting?

Thank you for the kind words.

The risers add 16 3/4 inches to the Qs. I used that because a 48 inch wide piece of ply can be ripped into three pieces of that dimension (less kerf) and the bottom plate adds the 3/4..

The tweeters are about 44 inches above the floor. K-Horns would be taller. CW's and others shorter.

What is at what height depends on the chair. If you have a target that will depend on your physical dimensions too, naturally. I sometimes use a folding camping chair around the apartment. In that perch the mids are at ear level for me.

That 16 odd inch might work well for you Forte but I suspect you might like a few inches shorter of riser. I'm not about to make the effort to change things. Too many projects as it is.

At this point there seems no reason to change the risers. If I ever get around to using the Q's in the rear they will be above a couch back.

One reason for doing the riser this was a comment in some Klipsch literature that the tall cabinets (not riser, there) keep the bass coupled to the floor (acoustically) but I really don't believe the effect is of great magnitude. Maybe better than pipe type stands and legs. The second reason was the ease of construction and esthetics. Maybe some brown - red paint could be found to match the walnut.

I don't have an opinion on spikes. I will not be using them because I want to minimize any mechanical transmission of sound to the apartment below.

Wm McD

Thanks for the numbers breakdown, I'm pretty sure that the KHorn height adds to their transparency.

Coupled or DECoupled is one of the gambles, as I've only lived with LaScalas previous to my Fortes, and they were felt-feeted directly to a marble floor (Italy) with a Yamaha sub (only powered sub available to me) crossed at 40Hz and rubber feet.

My Forte's have no risers, and my current plan is to have riser
boxes built (oak, 2 x 8? That would place the tweeters @ 36" before spikes) This first experiment will probably be the
basis for the other 4 Forte's when the time comes (15 x 18 x 10 HT cum
uncontrollable family room). If 44" is still shorter than KHorns, it looks like my hardwood will be a bit short.

I can't make your nice -wide- base as I barely have room for the speaks themselves, so I'm concerned that the 'tall Fortes' will occilate on my thick carpet (messing with the high end as the woofers rock the cabinets forward and back).

I originally posted 'Forte Modification Advice' as I had read most posts about Fortes themselves, silversport was kind enough to track your mod down for me.

I guess it's a case of Couple with spikes, or DE Couple with sealing the riser / base and filling with sand, Don't know which would -best- minimize occilation. Wonder what oak-veneer plywood costs these days.