My System #2

Kevin S

Sorry for the late response. I was visiting the "Outlaws" for the holiday.

Lovedrummin, I have been a Beatles fan since their first appearance on Ed Sullivan (I was 7 years old at the time). In fact, the photo on the right above the equipment rack is a photo from that show. My 15 year old daughter and my wife are big fans as well.

Colin, at the rear of the room is a pair of pocket doors that lead to the "storage room", where the junk resides. Of course being an obsessive/compulsive neat freak helps minimize the junk factor!

------------------

L/C/R: Klipsch Heresy II

Surround: Klipsch RS-3

Subwoofers: 2 HSU-VTF-2

Pre/Pro/Tuner: McIntosh MX-132

AMP: McIntosh MC-7205

DVD: McIntosh MVP-831

CD Transport: Pioneer PD-F908 100 Disc Changer

Turntable: Denon DP-72L

Cassette: Nakamichi BX-1

T.V. : Mitsubishi 55905

SAT/HDTV: RCA DTC-100

Surge Protector: Monster Power HTS-5000

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

very nice indeed! the first thing I saw was the couch and I love it. it's very comfy looking. a lot of thought and setup time was put into your system ...i can just tell.

you've gots lots of room for pretty much any size mains that you want. how long have you used the heresys? ever thought of upgrading to something larger in the heritage line?

if thats your #2 i would love to see the #1 system!

-don

------------------

My system thus far:

1980 Cornwalls (mains)

1990 Heresy II's (rears)

2001 KLF-C7 (center)

2001 KSW15 (Subwoofer)

SONY STD-D611 (reciever)Kenwood DV402 (DVD)

Sony KV 27V55 (9 year old 27" TV still kickin')

Eyes.gif

This message has been edited by BigBusa on 11-26-2001 at 01:13 PM

Big,

Thanks for the kind words.

I have had the Heresies for a few months. I previously owned Klipschorns for about 12 years. I've also owned LaScalas, Cornwalls and KG2's. Since the K-Horns, I've owned speakers from Legacy, Magnepan and B&W. None of which seemed to get "it" quite right. Thats why I came back to Klipsch, and the Heritage series.

But actually, with the advent of quality subwoofers, I have found that my current setup is as satisfying (at least for now!) as my K-Horns were. The single biggest difference between my K-Horns and the Heresies, Cornwalls and LaScalas is in the bass. Not much real difference, IMHO, in the mids and highs between any of these speakers, up to their limits.

I was actuallu going to buy Belle's and use the Heresies as surrounds and center. But when the Belles weren't available, I set things up as you see it and am extremely happy. While listening I frequently thank Klipsch for saving me the $4000 or so the Belles would have cost. Of course, if a pair of black 1990's vintage Belles or K-Horns were to show up on E-Bay.......

------------------

Kevin,

Nice looking setup. I hope to have some of my own pictures up soon. Gump.. whats up with all these negative comments towards Kevin??

------------------

My HTS:

MAINS: RF-3's

CENTER: KSC-C1(LOOKING FOR A RC-3 OR RC-3II)

REAR: SS-1's

SUB: KSW-12

TV: TOSHIBA THEATER VIEW 50"

RECEIVER:KENWOOD VR-4080B

DVD: SONY S-360 DVD PLAYER

monster cable interconnects/12 gauge speaker wire

Hump, gump, gimp, whats the difference. i am curious to know what type of home audio/video set up you have? (this would possibly back up all of your comments here on the board) you do not have it listed in your sig. what's up. everyone wants to know.

------------------

My HTS:

MAINS: RF-3's

CENTER: KSC-C1(LOOKING FOR A RC-3 OR RC-3II)

REAR: SS-1's

SUB: KSW-12

TV: TOSHIBA THEATER VIEW 50"

RECEIVER:KENWOOD VR-4080B

DVD: SONY S-360 DVD PLAYER

monster cable interconnects/12 gauge speaker wire

thejson,

The rack is made by Plateau. I purchased it locally. Their web site is www.plateaucorp.com.

Ears and others,

FWIW, I just made a slight change to the furniture in the room, adding a small bookcase under the shelf on the right front wall. This necessitated moving the right front sub. I placed it on top of the left front sub. In readjusting the levels, the following measurements were made at the listening position:

1khz-77db

80hz-76db (this is where the subs crossover to the Heresy's)

63hz-81db

50hz-79db

40hz-79db

31hz-77db

25hz-77db

20hz-75db

This is the corrected response using a Radio Shack spl meter and Stereophiles Test CD #2. Not too shabby for a $1000 investment, I think. And my room is 20 x 24 and is open on one side to another room of similar size. In other words, these little subs have to move a lot of air. In an average size room, a single VTF-2 should perform similarly. IMHO, I have not seen a sub that gives the bang for the buck of the VTF-2.

------------------

Kevin,

I just performed the same test with my Chorus I's and SVS 20-39CS w/Samson S700 amp. My results were not as good as yours and maybe you can explain why. I started with track 16 and set my volume on my Denon so that the first index (200hz) was at 75 db. I have my FL and FR settings at 0 and the SW setting at +4. Here are the results:

200hz-75db

160hz-79db

125hz-81db

100hz-79db

_80hz-79db

_63hz-78db

_50hz-69db

_40hz-74db

_31hz-72db

_25hz-70db

_20hz-68db

The rest goes something like this:

__250hz-79db

__315hz-75db

__400hz-73db

__500hz-73db

__630hz-71db

__800hz-73db

_1000hz-73db

_1250hz-72db

_1600hz-73db

_2000hz-75db

_2500hz-72db

_3150hz-71db

_4000hz-75db

_5000hz-75db

_6300hz-75db

_8000hz-74db

10000hz-72db

12500hz-67db

16000hz-61db

20000hz-58db

This is anything but a flat frequency responce and is somewhat disappointing. Am I doing anything wrong or is this because of my room, speaker placement, etc? I see you based yours off of the 1000hz frequency (77db) and went from there. Am I supposed to do the same? I would think it wouldn't make that much of a difference.

Thanks,

Mike

------------------

My Music Systems

This message has been edited by Mike Lindsey on 12-04-2001 at 12:21 PM

Mike,

Generally, 1 khz is used as the reference frequency when graphing frequency response. As for your measurements, the first thing is to make sure that you adjusted your readings for the known bass rolloff of the Radio Shack spl meter. The SVS web site has a page that shows the amounts to use for each frequency.

With that said, smooth bass response at the listening position is very much a function of the room dimensions, the sub's location in the room and the crossover frequency between the sub and the mains. In my room, the smoothest readings I have gotten, by far, are with the subs in the room corners, my processor set to small speakers, using it's 80 hz crossover, and my subs crossover set to it's 60 hz low end limit. Doing this smooths out a 63 hz bump that is found in most rooms with 7 to 8 foot high ceilings. With my previous Klipschorns and Legacy Focus speakers the 63 hz bump was about 10db!

So, if possible, I would start with the sub in the corner and massage the crossover and sub volume settings for the smoothest response. If you have a passive sub with a fixed crossover, I would place the sub in the corner to start and move the sub along the wall and check response at various points. Finally, if wall space is limited, move the sub straight out of the corner a few inches at a time, measuring at various points. I hope this helps.

Edit: BTW, an in room frequency response that is +/- 5 db or so at the listening position would normally be considered quite good, so your measurements aren't bad at all.

------------------

This message has been edited by Kevin S on 12-04-2001 at 12:45 PM

Kevin,

Thanks for the reply. I just emailed TV because I couldn't find the info you were talking about on their website. I think in the meantime, I will recalibrate my system, this time with my mains pushed back in the corners. Currently, I have them about 2 feet out into the room, pushed up against my 10' wall unit. As for the sub, it is situated in the only place I can put it in the room. It is against the left side wall (about 1" off the wall), next to the fireplace. Will let you know if moving the mains change anything...

Mike

------------------

My Music Systems

Mike, try this link:http://www.svsubwoofers.com/RScompchart.htm

------------------

Well, I just finished recalibrating and here are the new numbers (including the adjustments for the SPL meter):

200hz-75db

160hz-76db

125hz-80db

100hz-81db

_80hz-78db (Fixed x-over in Denon to subwoofer)

_63hz-75db

_50hz-78db (This is about where my Chorus's rolloff)

_40hz-83db

_31hz-81db

_25hz-81db

_20hz-80db

The rest goes something like this:

__250hz-76db

__315hz-78db

__400hz-76db

__500hz-75db

__630hz-78db (650 is the mid x-over on the Chorus's)

__800hz-77db

_1000hz-76db

_1250hz-78db

_1600hz-79db

_2000hz-79db

_2500hz-77db

_3150hz-76db

_4000hz-79db

_5000hz-81db

_6300hz-79db

_8000hz-77db (7k is the tweeter x-over on the Chorus's)

10000hz-74db

12500hz-71db

16000hz-66db

20000hz-61db

Kevin, can you make any sense of this? I calibrated every speaker in my system to 76 db prior to this test. Thanks for any input...

Mike

------------------

My Music Systems

Mike,

From my experience your measurements look real good for an in room response. Your sub is doing it's job on the low end, and the roll off of your top end is a function of the spl meter, which is only flat up to 8-10 khz. You do not have the typical bump at 63 - 80 hz, which helps keep the bass from sounding boomy. If you listen at moderate to low levels, the slight rise in your bass is actually a good thing, since your hearing rolls off bass at moderate to low levels. If you listen at loud levels, you may actually want to back it down a few db, to keep the bass from being overpowering. As far as measurements go, I think you've pretty much got it. If your mains are positioned to where you are happy with the imaging, then you are done! Happy listening!

------------------

Hey guys, Here's a site to do a modification to

the Radio Shack 33-2050 SPL meter for extended LF and HF frequency response.

http://www.gti.net/wallin/

This way you don't have to calibrate for it's

Low and High frequency anomalies.

(Though the mic mod is recommended for the HF response,

it's not really that necessary.)

I did it, it's easy and the meter is really sensitive now.(I did not do the mic mod.)

He has a mod for the Digital meter also.

Interesting site. Check it out.

THANX! Mike.cwm12.gif