Help ! Sony STR-DE975 Dolby Digital

NOSValves

I've been messing with this receiver on and off for day's. I have a Dish Network Satilite receiver Model 4700 which is suppose to be Dolby Digital and has a Optical out port. I have tried and tried to get the Sony to output Dolby Digital to no Avail Smile.gif. I have tried forcing Optical Input and get no sound at all from my Satilite or sony. Yes I'm trying on DD enabled channels and the DD demo channel. All I get is Pro Logic thru 2 channel signal input.

Questions

1) Does Dolby Digital require a Digital connection either Optical or Coxail ??

2) For the reciever to output Dolby Digital do you have to have a Active sub hooked to the LFE channel ?

I'm waiting for my Klipsch sub to ship to me. I tried just hooking basic powered speaker to the LFE channel to see if DD would work and nothing happened. Could this just be a problem with my Satilite reciever ? I don't currently have a DVD player with a Digital connection to narrow this down and I'm not really sure if the connection has to be Optical. I'm beginning to wish I never bought this sony receiver Smile.gif

Please help me out on this I'm at my witts end.

Thanks Craig

NOS, u need a channel BROADCAST by the certain channel to be DD 5.1. sometimes movies/shows on HBO, Showtime, Starz, & PPV on Sat. like band of brothers on HBO has been broadcast in 5.1 lately. i'm hoping the sopranos will be soon. but the majority are still braodcast in dolby surround 2.0 which your sony detects to perform prologic on if it's in auto mode.

you do need a digital connection for DD5.1 sound. w/ sat that's normally optical. w/ cable tv, coax rca plugs.

u don't have to have a sub. by selecting sub:no, the sony will route the LFE to your main speakers which on my sony you have to set as large.

------------------

My Home Systems Page

This message has been edited by boa12 on 11-10-2001 at 02:31 PM

boa12 Well if what your saying is the facts than something is wrong. On Dish Network channel 9480 which is the Dolby Digital Demo channel which you have to have the dual dish setup or dish 500 to receive. Is a Dolby Digital broadcast. I also have a number of PPVs that broadcast in Dolby Digital. But I still am only getting dolby Prologic and no sound at all when choosing Optical in. I would think that this is most likely the satilite receiever is not putting out Optical out. I guess the only way to find out is to go out and buy good DVD player that has Optical out and see if it works. Any suggestions from say Best Buy low on cash so I'd have to use my CC with no interest ?? I currently use a Hollywood Plus from my PC to send DVD's to my TV and its getting to be a pain. Thanks for your help !

craig, sorry, missed that in your 1st post. guess u have to try various things w/ your sony & sat box set-ups to see if it works. do u also have analog inputs from your sat box to the same input? may want to put those on another input if so. can't recall but maybe u have to assign the digital connection to a certain input in the sony, like tv or sat.

maybe avman could respond. he knows the sony/sat stuff well.

------------------

My Home Systems Page

On the rear of the sony there are hookups for RCA and optical that are designated SAT/TV and that is where I have them connected. The only setting on the Sony that I can find lets you choose what Input and I choose Optical SAT/TV and all sound is lost. As far as the Satilite there really is no way that I have found to tell it what to send other than whether the receiver its sending to can except Dolby digital, PCM or both. I really think it just isn't sending a Optical signal at all. wish I had another reciever to try or someone with a DVD player.

I just found something strange . When choosing "Auto Format Decoding" under Sound Field and than choosing Optical under Input. After a few seconds the receiver displays the word "Unlock" and then it changes to Auto Format Decoding and there is no sound. This is really weird.

Well I just went and borrowed a buddies DVD player and now I have dolby digital with it just fine. I might add that there sure is a big difference compared to Pro Logic. now I need to just figure out what is wrong with my Satilite receiver and optical out. What a bummer.

go into the menu of your dishnetwork sat receiver, and switch the audio to auto out (digital). the problem is you haven't turned the dig.opt.out ON from your #4700 dish receiver. also, all audio from your #4700 will output digitally, your sony will display 'pcm' when only a stereo signal is present. avman.

------------------

1-pair klf 30's

c-7 center

ksps-6 surrounds

sony strda-777ES receiver upgraded to v.2.02 including virtual matrix 6.1

sony playstation 2

dishnetwork model 7200 dishplayer satellite receiver/digital bitstream recorder

pioneer dvd player

sharp 32"tv and sharp xv-z1u lcd projector

panamax max dbs+5 surge protector/power conditioner

monster cable interconnects/12 gua.speaker wire

a 'teens' sub coming!(RSW-15 LOOKIN'GOOD!)

KLIPSCH-So Good It Hz!

avman All I can find that had anything to do with Audio on the Dish Reciever is where you choose what type of reciever it is outputing to and the choices are Dolby Digital or PCM or both. I can't find any place to enable digital out or Optical out at all. where would I find this option ??

set to 'both', check your input selection for that input on your sony receiver you have your optical cale hooked into, set to 'optical'. also check for a red light at the end of the dig.opt.cable(the end you plug INTO the receiver).no red light-no signal(bad cable?)red light on, do the rest, and that should do it. avman.

------------------

1-pair klf 30's

c-7 center

ksps-6 surrounds

sony playstation 2

pioneer dvd player

KLIPSCH-So Good It Hz!

This message has been edited by avman on 11-11-2001 at 09:56 AM

I've done all that and at the Dish reciever there is no red light coming out of the Optical port. I borrowed a DVD player to confirm that the Sony receiver is excepting optical and that works fine. I've pretty much narrowed it down to the Sat. receivers Optical port is non functional. How the heck do I get that fixed ?

Yea I unhooked the RCA's and reset the system and still no Optical out. I'm pretty sure the dam thing is broke. I'm on ebay right now trying to find a deal on a replacement unit. I even opened it up and redid the solder joints and still no go. I'm sure its just broke.

This message has been edited by NOS440 on 11-11-2001 at 02:22 PM

try calling 1-800-333-3474(dish) and get tech support on the line...they manufacture their own equipment, maybe they have the answer, or can offer a deal for a replacement.avman.

------------------

1-pair klf 30's

c-7 center

ksps-6 surrounds

sony playstation 2

pioneer dvd player

KLIPSCH-So Good It Hz!