how old is your system ?

I've had mine for 5-6 years. I upgraded the CP when mine started crackling. I believe the surround control has started crackling, but I can't verify this because the rear output of the amp has quit. Now I'm looking at repair/replacement versus buying a whole new setup.

• 3 weeks later...

hi all.....

been a long time.just thought i'd stop in and see whats up.nice new look. [:D]

anyway i think i have ya all beat.looking at my reciept now and it says 12/07/99.... [:o]

i remember reading the first review i ever saw on them in pc gamer.i ordered them the next day and have been rocking ever since.they still impress friends that come over.

i must admit though the last couple years i've been wondering if these things are ever going to die.i've been eyeing the 5.1's but cant seem to bring myself to replace these till they are dead.and thats not happening.

edit: omg look at my system specs in my sig... lol lol

that system has to be dam near as old as my speakers.that was definetly many system rebuilds ago. lol

Hello,

Well my story started 2 years ago when I bought the promedia 2.1, I didn't know anything about audio, speakers ect I was only 14 years old so that didn't matter much.

So I when they arived I was like WOW these sound incredible and I wonderded how that was possible and I went reading about speakers and quality stuff,

after doing some research I went ahead and built my own floorstanders powered by an old onkyo amp I bought somewhere cheap. I recently bought a new onkyo TX SR 604, and I'm now saving for an Klipsch RW12 that I'm going to buy next year. so this is a short story about my new audio experience powered by klipsch 2 years ago and still rocking hard.

Wolter.

:o

I know it doesnt make much of a difference as its 7yrs in both cases but is it 7th December 99 or 12th July 99 ? :P

It is 7th December 1999 (In the US, dates are typically expressed Month/Day/Year as opposed to the typical european Day/Month/Year (although the euro way does make more sense, if you think about it)). Good lord, that seems like a long time ago now!

It was about that time I tried to buy a pair, as I was definitly in the market for a good set of computer speakers, as well after seeing that same review in PC Gamer (I think I still have the issue in my basement archives). At the time, it seemed you either had the really cheap $30 sets that sounded like complete crap, or you had the really expensive stuff that sounded awesome, but could not justify the cost ($400+) The Sirroco Crossfires where an example, but I just did not want to spend that kind of money on them. However, at around $250, the v2.400s were perfect and exactly what I was looking for and in around the price point I was willing to spend for a set of computer speakers. However, Klipsch was so back-logged with orders, I was put on a "waiting list". I did not finally get to order mine until around March of 2000. These basically defined the whole "high-end" "multi-media" market. Funny how shortly afterwards a whole slew of other manufactuers started coming out with similiar types of speaker sets within the same price point (the $200-$300 range).

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Got my 4.1's in march of 2000. They sound just as good today as they did then. Although my neighbors hate them![:P] The only problem I have had is a static noise when touching the volume knob which I fixed with some contact cleaner. The speakers are a 10 out of 10 as far as im concerned. Just ordered a pair of the 5.1 ultras so wish me luck lol. Keeping the 4.1's around as a backup! The only reason I am ordering the 5.1's is to get a pair of them before they all dissapear.

• 4 years later...

i think i won the oldest set. :P

now where's my prize? perhaps a set of the infamous hofy duct tape mounts? lol

but unfortunately i just blew the foam surrounds off my sub-woofers.

first repair i've ever had to make, and i've beat the snot out of these things for 12 years now.

i'm starting to think they may bury me with these things.

• 4 weeks later...

Hello,

Well my story started 2 years ago when I bought the promedia 2.1, I didn't know anything about audio, speakers ect I was only 14 years old so that didn't matter much.

So I when they arived I was like WOW these sound incredible and I wonderded how that was possible and I went reading about speakers and quality stuff,

after doing some research I went ahead and built my own floorstanders powered by an old onkyo amp I bought somewhere cheap. I recently bought a new onkyo TX SR 604, and I'm now saving for an Klipsch RW12 that I'm going to buy next year. so this is a short story about my new audio experience powered by klipsch 2 years ago and still rocking hard.

Wolter.

Wolter,

See my signature, and realize that it all started with my Promedia 2.1s. (Actually started with my Dad's JBL L-100s; but that was 20 years ago)......

My point...... Promedias are a great starting point on the road to audio nirvana.......

Replace those floorstanders with some KG 5.5s or fortes or Heresies......

Trust me.... you will be amazed all over again........

Good Luck.

I bought the promedia 5.1 in 2001, I think, but unfortunately they didn't last long. I was however, admittedly hooked on them anyway. So when the promedia ultra 5.1s came out I had to have them. I got them in 2003 or 04 and have been using them everyday since. About 2 months ago I punched the power button and all I got was hiss from the sub. I replaced the fuse but still no good. So I then pulled the the board and sent it to Sybesmas. After listening to Logitech crap for the past several weeks it is a joy to be listening to the promedias once again. I'm no audio expert but for me excellent sound is really what makes entertainment truly enjoyable and immersive. Watching a DVD or HD movie with excellent sound is loads of fun. I only hope that after this fix they'll last a good long time, otherwise I'll have to go to the guy who upgrades to military grade parts or I'll have to learn myself!

• 2 weeks later...

I purchased mine back in 2001, right before I graduated high school. I tried to blow the sub on them a couple times by blasting woofercooker. (At this time they just released the 5.1 ultras and were swapping out repairs for Ultras, but it didn't break on me) Only had to use the customer service when my power supply went bad on my 5.1 Digital Decoder. They fixed it and I still use both today.

• 2 weeks later...

finally got my replacement drivers. felt like 2 years, not 2 months.

didn't realize how much i would miss my system till it was gone. headphones only work for so long. [:P]

2 drivers under 60 usd shipped to the door. luckily the 2.1 drivers are the same as the old 4.1's, just needed two instead of one.

now to only have the control to break them in properly.[6]