Best room position for Chorus II / Forte II ??

bhendrix

I was mainly mentioning that I had more bass output with the speakers not toed in compared to when they were toed in.

My basement room that I have everything set up in is configured with very odd dimensions and angles. The way I have everything currently set up is the best configuration I can have in my room.

Although I have experienced more image depth with certain speakers when they pulled out from the wall, I wonder how much of the loss of depth when they are agaist the wall is because you know the wall is right there, and instruments "can't" plausibly be beyond the wall.

The influence of the visual on a somewhat different aspect of image was once demonstrated at an audio fair in the early days of stereo. Ampex had a fairly acoustically transparent curtain up covering one end of the room. Two very widely spaced speakers were behind the curtain. The image was very detailed, with no hole in the middle (something they worried about a lot in those days), and yes, some depth. When they pulled the curtain back, revealing the speakers, the image degraded, pooling around the speakers, with hole in the middle all over the place. The best stereo image at the fair that year (although we didn't use the word image in this regard then) was found in two rooms: the JBL room, with their Paragon up against the wall (and on a riser), and in the Klipsch room, with Klipschorns in their corners.

While I agree there are many psychoacoustic events involved with the perception of music; I ask anyone when's the last time they saw speakers against the wall or in a corner at CES? Has anyone read any reviews lately where the speaker was placed in this manner?

Here's something to think about....Other than Klipsch; I can think of two other speaker designs that have cult followings and a third making a comeback. All have to do with playing music without boxey colorations and sounding very open and natural. They are all soundstaging champs and cannot be placed against the front wall without serious consequences.

Omnipolar- The infamous Ohm Walsh (My favorite speaker)

Bipolar- The almighty Maggies! Talk about soundstaging and beauty.

Open baffle and hybrids of this design- Tekton, Dahliquist DQ-10, Vandersteen

My point being that there is more than one way to skin a cat and I think it has more to do with listener preference and room acoustics than what is perceived. JMHO

• 8 years later...