Bass horn ideas again. A possible build. Need criticism.

jwc

JC,

Yep.. I have never checked the distortion on the CW output of a computer sound card. I really wouldn't trust it. The function generator you will be getting will probably be a lot cleaner than the sound card. Function generators like you are getting usually make a sine wave from a triangle waves by waveshaping circuits and are not perfectly clean but are generally quite good. If you want real clean CW you can run it through a tunable filter. I have two of those here and use them when I do intermod distortion testing. You can fine Krohn-Hite active filters on eBay anytime. And you are quit right about test equipment! Having worked for a while in a test equipment repair and calibration lab I know just have valuable and indespensible good test equipment is. You can only do so much by ear.

As to the crossover frequency, I don't know! The choce of where to cross it over is usually made on the basis of where the dispersion of the two drivers are nearly equal. From what little I could pick up from Roy's posts and looking at his crumby crossover design, 600 Hz is the right place. It's certianly within the ranges of the Jub woofer and the Altec 511 horn. With the extreme-slope network I will be doing the crossover could be a lot lower without harning the driver, but that wouldn't be taking advantage of the Jub extended response. Where to cross it over is really YOUR call.

Al k.

• 1 month later...

I finished the second jub clone.

So what has happened to date. Well I have tried three different sets of woofers in these cabinets and I am about to try a fourth set.

Terry Cruse and his wife Lynn will be coming to my house this weekend. This will be the first time someone with ears for horns will check out my home audio.

My wife Wendy will make some chili and I have a case of Budweiser and cold Absolut.

Terry will get to hear my dbb's in my house. He was the inspiration of their creation. Looking forward to hearing his music and most of all visting with he and Lynn.

Now after the dbb jam session, the jubilees will come into play. I now have a 4th pair of woofers for listening and testing. This will be the Klipsch K-31's. Now at this point, the Pioneer 51F's sound great and do very well at the higher frequencies. I will run the klipsch woofers head to head with these. The Eminence Kappa pro 12 sounded very good but didn't have the grunt I wanted. The pioneer 51D's were very poor on the higher frequencies and had too low of SPL. I sold those on Ebay.

Now you also know I flirted with a drone. This was posted in another thread and I won't talk much about this again for awhile until I have a better grasp of what I am doing.

We will also play the Cornscalas which was my very first build.....they are set up in the HT

Will report later on how it goes. The RTA of the Klipsch woofers may not happen right off the bat.

jc

post-16499-13819317381416_thumb.jpg

Are the K-31's what Klipsch is using in the Jubilee? It's cool to see that you have a stereo pair now. Any plans for comparison measurements to see how close to each other they are? I would expect the low-end to increase significantly with two in the room.

I'm definetly looking forward to the results of your listening sessions.

Need to update some things to this thread for those keeping close eye.

AS you know, I have tried 4 different woofers in the jub clone as of yet. The Pioneer 51F is a pretty good match. Here is the Pioneer 51D. Terrible. Mic at 1 meter. The top end is not there at all and the low end is "OK".

post-16499-13819317563026_thumb.jpg

As you may have known, I have some K31E's here. Terry Cruse was here this weekend to listen to them vs the Pioneer 51F. His wasn't aware of which woofer was in which cabinet. He ended up choosing the K31E as his favorite. His wife Lynn agreed. I didn't get to listen to one at a time as I was turning the dials of the channels off and on.

Tonight, I did RTA the bass bin with the K31E's wired parallel. Mic 1 meter. "relative "SPL". No network.

I ran this several times as I couldn't believe the results. Guys, this was run the same way for all 4 different sets of woofers. Between 35-40Hz....only 3dB down. The top end is....well...see for yourself.

post-16499-13819317564106_thumb.jpg

I know this sounds silly, but I actually haven't listened to the K31's vs the Pioneers enough to say. The other night, we has the two sets in stereo and when I turned the volume down on one and then the other to A/B, I was squated down on the floor behind a sofa. I know that sounds dumb....but it is true. Since the other night.....I have been laden with work. Another forum member emailed me tonight to know what of my RTA of the K31. I therefore crunched that out as above.

I will actually audition the bin in mono this week to give the opinion of sound.

jc

I know this sounds silly, but I actually haven't listened to the K31's vs the Pioneers enough to say. The other night, we has the two sets in stereo and when I turned the volume down on one and then the other to A/B, I was squated down on the floor behind a sofa. I know that sounds dumb....but it is true. Since the other night.....I have been laden with work. Another forum member emailed me tonight to know what of my RTA of the K31. I therefore crunched that out as above.

I will actually audition the bin in mono this week to give the opinion of sound.

jc

I have a feeling your going to be "VERY HAPPY" when you do get a chance.

mike tn

As you may have known, I have some K31E's here. Terry Cruse was here this weekend to listen to them vs the Pioneer 51F. His wasn't aware of which woofer was in which cabinet. He ended up choosing the K31E as his favorite. His wife Lynn agreed. I didn't get to listen to one at a time as I was turning the dials of the channels off and on.

Tonight, I did RTA the bass bin with the K31E's wired parallel. Mic 1 meter. "relative "SPL". No network.

I ran this several times as I couldn't believe the results. Guys, this was run the same way for all 4 different sets of woofers. Between 35-40Hz....only 3dB down. The top end is....well...see for yourself.

Guys, please forgive me. I have much to post, but still trying to rebuild the brain cells lost last weekend at "Chateau Cullison" . Oh My! What a wonderful night of family, audio fellowship, and Super Sounds. So much to say, but buried at work.

Will post in detail within 24/36hrs. It was yummy.

tc

My first official post to the forum:

This is Lynn, IB Slammin's wife, sending out a huge thank you to JC, Wendy and l'il James Cullison. They were incredibly gracious hosts, opening up their home, feeding us chili and chocolate chip cookies, providing refreshing "adult beverages", and most of all treating us with amazing "sounds". What a thrill to be able to compare - in one sitting - the DBB's and the Jubilee Clones - all without having to lift a finger. (Well, I guess Terry and JC did - but they loved doing it!) Again, thank you, thank you to the Cullisons. Oh yeah, not mention that the whole family was about half-sick while we were there. But Terry and I got home without a sniffle - amazing, considering the good-bye hugging and kissing that went on between Terry and JC the next morning. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Mrs. Slammin

Well, I think the old hide about covered the thank you part. Magnificent home and hosts.

There were many humorous events that I will not go in to, other than <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" />Lynn giving JC he11 for sleeping in his clothes. Dont think she knew how late it was when we shut down.

The listening started with the dbbs. ( AH! CD player, Blueberry EX pre, and 98lbs of Mac SS power) for those of us that heard to the dbbs in Hope, well, we didnt really hear them. The Farmhouse room didnt do them justice. Any midrange mush or excessive LF bloom that we might have heard in Hope, just went away in a good room. The bass, still thunderous, became very, very, tight. We played the same reference cuts several times to establish a base line, along with live bar cuts, (thanks Duke) Keb Mo, Jack Johnson, some Latin Jazz, etc.

To my thinking, one big advantage in comparing the dbb bins to the Jub clone bins that night, was the use of the same top hats and crossovers (different taps) on each pair. (511b/902-JBL baby cheeks)

After several hours, we moved out the dbbs and moved in the JubCs. Same corners, same listening positions, same input.

At Hope 06 we heard a mono Jubilee. (My first time for the Jub) Allow me to say that TWO of these beautiful monsters are a whole different ball game. For arguments sake, I will say that the top was the same and only comment on the bins.

My lack of audio vocabulary comes in to play now. Some CW owners ask where is the bass at first when they get Khorns. Not the case here. We played the same reference cuts at pretty much the same SPL. The JubCs, reached down low with thwack and accuracy. The LF was so articulate! Just amazing. The attack and release of each note was instantaneous.

Funny that when JC was running A to B back and forth, I think Lynn & I simultaneously pointed to the K-31 box. Cant say exactly why, other than they had a richer tone. Wish I could be more detailed, but they just sounded better.

The ladies went to bed and we moved to the other end of the room for the Cornscalas. They sounded really good. We finished out the night (morning) listening to some very enjoyable 80s funk. I had forgotten how much fun that stuff was.

Conclusions to come in next installment. tc

So what is this 80's funk stuff? There is a genre of music I've been hunting down for the last 4 or 5 years now that I don't have a clue what it might be called. Every once in a while I'll hear it, but I can never find anyone to provide me with a name that yields any hits online. I wonder if perhaps this old man music might be what I'm looking for. Anyone care to provide a demo or two?

So what is this 80's funk stuff? There is a genre of music I've been hunting down for the last 4 or 5 years now that I don't have a clue what it might be called. Every once in a while I'll hear it, but I can never find anyone to provide me with a name that yields any hits online. I wonder if perhaps this old man music might be what I'm looking for. Anyone care to provide a demo or two?

Mike,

I got your old man, boy.[:D] Swinging.

Seriously, You might contact Dr. JC Funk. I believe he has them all. Or, filter through Gap Band cuts for starters. They would be representative of the style.

tc