Bass horn ideas again. A possible build. Need criticism.

jwc

DrWho is online. Last active: 02-09-2007, 7:17 PMDrWho

If I use 12" drivers then the thing would be approx 36 inch wide.

My goal is to make a min-jubilee that will mate with a subwoofer.

Here's some approx's

12" = 36" wide

10" = 30" wide

8" = 24" wide

6" = 18" wide

4" = 12" wide

Now I'll just have to spin the bottle to see which one will mate with an active sub-woofer at around 70/80hz.

SpeakF.

I am working on your request. I have the top drawing done. Just need to work out the initial flares at the throat which you could probably figure out on your own.

Again this particular design is an 1/8th space horn with a 70Hz cutoff. Total H x W x D is 26.5 x 29 x 15.5. Made to match the K31's specs from the AES article.

If I use 12" drivers then the thing would be approx 36 inch wide.

My goal is to make a min-jubilee that will mate with a subwoofer.

Here's some approx's

12" = 36" wide

10" = 30" wide

8" = 24" wide

6" = 18" wide

4" = 12" wide

Now I'll just have to spin the bottle to see which one will mate with an active sub-woofer at around 70/80hz.

That reasoning doesn't work.

The size of a driver does not change the size of the horn.

JC,

In the JAES article, it was mentioned that ideally the horn would come to a point in the middle (much like the lascala) and I believe Roy even mentioned that the horn would perform better if a top piece with a jutting center triangle thing was added.

You'll have to pardon the crude drawing (I just used cut and paste), but why not try an approach like the attached picture? It will end up being taller/narrower. Or was the intention to be mounted into a corner?

post-10350-13819322115918_thumb.jpg

Mike. Yes. I have one drawn up like that.

I also have some drawn up in 1/4 space...not identical to the scala but could do one.

The key with the one I just posted is that it will work well in a corner, has full size physical mouth, look good, "matches" appearance of jub, and has the option of front loaded drivers. Also you could Use different front panle to play with porting if wanted.

Also the drawing you have will make the Vb too small unless the height is taller.....then the proportion would not look right.

"The size of a driver does not change the size of the horn."

Your still thinking target spec's as a design goal.

All I care about is size.

You can't put a 12" driver in a jub cab scaled down in mini-form to be 12" wide. You have to use a 4" driver since the jube design results in a cab size that's three times the width of the driver.

With a big enough sub-woofer, the thing could be scalled down to fit on a bookshelf.

I know, don't worry, it does not compute....but what a peice of artwork it would make.

It's more practical to use a high excursion sub-woofer in a small box than a large horn cabniet designed as a high-pass for band-pass ilter if you really want good bass. All the charts and graphs posted clearly show that. None of these horn designs have been low pass filters with increasing SPL as you dip into the lows.

Ok. I'm getting ready to vomit up a bunch of stuff regarding a mini jubilee. I haven't tried it but someone else can shoot for it if they want. I will do it at some point but I'm going to do it with a slight mod in which the most outer panel is curved with veneer. It will be "slightly more accurate" this way. It will also look good.

If you want to use your own woofers instead of the K31, let me know as I have run a bunch of numbers on 12" woofers for horns.

So...this is about a 70Hz 1/8th space horn. Total height w/o feet is 26 1/2". Width is 29 inches, depth is 15 1/4". You can make a version to remove the front panel for access to the drivers if you want to be a nut like me and try to port.

I haven't worked out the "ramps". The two slots are 5" X 9". You can work the ramps out on your own knowing the measurement of the baffle and the slot cutouts.

The most top and bottom panels can be made by laying a large panel on top of the construction as you see from the top view and pencil/outline the edges to guide the cut. Or someone can get nutty and easily figure out the top and bottom with CAD.

I do everything by hand so I just took a bunch of close up shots.

jc

post-16499-13819325087648_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I think many know that I wound up with JC's Jub clone bass bins a few weeks ago. Well after waiting for a few parts last night I finally got them to achieve the original goal I had for them....which was to capitalize on what I learned improving my Khorns and wind up with a Heritage sounding speaker with all those improvements in it. Here's what they are:

T35a tweeters

PD5V / 511b driver / horn

four K-31 woofers

ALK extreme slope nets 600 / 5800 designed for the Jub

JC's bass bins

I found the best settings for my envirnoment to be -6.2db on the squawker and -3db on the tweeter. Same squawker setting as my Khorns but I have the Khorn tweeters at -5db.

Right now I have the jubs facing a pair of Lasclas 37 feet away. Both pairs of speakers are in corners and I have them connected to a Denon receiver on speakers A/B. It was a little late last night and so I didn't get much listening in. But they are one serious pair of speakers I can tell you that. In A/B testing with the LaScalas I perceive the K-400 to be a bit honky compared to the 511b. In all my years listening to Klipsch squawkers I never picked that up until last night. The Jub clones sound much more throaty....tons of tight accurate bass....major separation between instruments.....and I perceive these speakers to be operating right on the money so far. In mono testing both speakers are perceived to have all the drivers playing at equal or near equal levels. Basically, I have a lot of new electronics on these and everything seems to check out 100% so far, which makes me very happy with all I spent.

Right now they are just a bunch of boards and horns on top of the bass bins. But now that I know how well they operate I will be completing top sections that will make them look very similar to the pair we have seen Ms. Valerie pose with. But...black bins and walnut top section with brown grills.

I have some business travel coming up and won't be able to play them for a couple of weeks but I forsee a very fun summer if I can find a way to move these outdoors. I will be doing a shoot out with my Khorns eventually but the Jub clones are just way to heavy to move around without help. JC had a nice padded dolly and I may have to get myself one.

If anyone would be interested in any more of this I would be happy to provide more information as I discover it. I just wanted to post a finish to JC's supposed "possible build".

Right now I wouldn't exactly call them photogenetic...as I mention above what they consist of presently. The most interesting part would be the networks since most have already seen everything else in their travels. Obviously, the bins are pictured in this thread.

I will certinaly post more pictures once they have a top section and finish on them. I have decided not to post pictures of the networks.

Richard, when are coming to Georgia????? Been there twice....come see us. You are welcome anytime buddy [:D]