Bass horn ideas again. A possible build. Need criticism.

jwc

I'm planning on coming down to see Roger Waters if events allow. I MIGHT be "in Georgia" next weekend. ("in Georgia" defined as Savannah)

We're heading over to HH to see my dad for a couple days. We drive out I-40 to I-26 instead of going down 75 and over. Talked to Chris Robinson earlier today and if time/wife allows, we're going to try to visit with him and maybe hear his system & his Danley. Turns out his business is probably 1 mile from my dad's house.

You're speakers might not be photogenic (yet) but that's part of the process.....show them now, while they're 'fugly' and then later on, you can show them after you've made them pretty. I for one am intrigued on what you're going to do on top and how you're going to build it. I'm then VERY curious as to if/how you finish off the face of the bass bin.

Although I'm not planning on doing anything now, I am trying to get ideas on how to finish mine off later on. I'm not very artistically creative so I need those here that are, make their pretty and then I'll have something to go by.

Heck...I still can't even make up my mind if I want side grills or not. Part of me says they'll give it a more tailored look, another part says it's cool having them open...back/forth, back/forth...

Then of course, we have the issue of covering the K402 or not... part of me says same as above with tailored look, another part LOVES the intimidation of it...so I remain torn.

I am just getting geared up for some business travel and will return home late 3/8. After that I'll be hanging in Athens for awhile.

As far as pictures...I guess if you want to see some, I'll post some. JC already posted the networks on AK, and all I did was add Al's ES5800s to them. They look beautiful....and sound like all his other ES networks.

Basically, because of the shape of the bass bin I decided to go with a top section of the same shape with a riser (spacer) like the Khorn has. I want to avoid the robot look...and at the same time allow for different motor boards to be inserted from the front giving reasonable flexibility for the use of different horns. No...not anything like the 402. But again, that was not my goal. I will add framed cloth grills to cover the top section horns.

As soon as I get home that effort will begin (The measurements). The nice part is that I get to keep playing them all the while. I'm not even building the top sections. I'm driving to pick them up when they are finished. [:D] I plan to do the finishing on both tops and bottoms...maybe a mistake. I'll decide later.

Mark. Thanks for the great report. Nice to see all that is coming together.

Mark has Khorns with ESN400's and ES5800's. Stock drivers and horns.

He now has a Jub clone with ESN600's and ES5800's. K55/Atlas driver and t35 tweeters. K31 woofers.

I got to get over there and here this stuff. He has La Scalas, Cornwalls too with recent network updates. Almost a museum of speakers.

So Mark's set up with the jub clone is basically 3 way with no EQ. I didn't get to hear this at my house.

Yea Mark. Let's see some raw photos when you get the chance.

jc

Thanks for the kind words everyone. I need to get going in the aesthetics department now. Everyone likes pictures but the Jub clones need help visually for the time being. I will post some un glamorous shots that could serve as the befores.

I hope to get some tubes connected to them tonight before I get outta town.

• 5 years later...
  • 1 year later...

This is my jube-like clone from a long time ago. There is small variations from the real Jube. Been discussed many times the intentions there.

Again.... this not the Real Jubilee Plans. My creation only. It is a great sounding bass bin if you want to give it a go.

There were a couple of people who struggled with the back turnaround a long time ago when others built them. That is because I had an error in the Panel "B" mislableled on the build sheet. This had been corrected and included on these plans.

These plans will work with FULL 3/4" panels.

cheers
jc

jc-jubelike-clone.zip

This is my jube-like clone from a long time ago. There is small variations from the real Jube. Been discussed many times the intentions there.

Again.... this not the Real Jubilee Plans. My creation only. It is a great sounding bass bin if you want to give it a go.

There were a couple of people who struggled with the back turnaround a long time ago when others built them. That is because I had an error in the Panel "B" mislableled on the build sheet. This had been corrected and included on these plans.

cheers

jc

I still have these and still haven't veneered or painted them as I don't want to go without them.... lol

• 2 years later...

Do you recall how many panels it had taken?

Also wasn't there another driver you mentioned? Something about the eminence kappa pro 12?  How about the B&C 12pe32?  I'm all ready jonesing for another build.  I even have your dual 12 tractrix horn design from Seti's site. 

James, I've been searching for a 10" for a bass horn driver, but did find this Dayton 12" that looks pretty good. It has a much lower QES and QTS which I thought Dennis said was better for horns. Fs is also 39Hz.

http://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-pa310-8-12-pro-woofer--295-032

Bruce

Edited by Marvel

James, I've been searching for a 10" for a bass horn driver, but did find this Dayton 12" that looks pretty good. It has a much lower QES and QTS which I thought Dennis said was better for horns. Fs is also 39Hz.

http://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-pa310-8-12-pro-woofer--295-032

Bruce

Dang they just get cheaper and cheaper

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

Dennis is a much better resource than me.

However, yes, low Qes and low Fs make for a good horn loaded driver.  But I don't focus on the Fs as "lower the better".  For instance, the older K33's have an Fs in the high 20's, but I think they "sound poor" tuned to anything lower than 40Hz.   Just one example.

So eventhough the Fs of the Eminence 12 LFA is above 40Hz, It is loaded in a 40Hz Bass horn and may due just fine and sound very good in those low notes.

Dayton looks good.  Would be cool to compare the two.