..........new hookup method?

This is a 2 channel receiver. Not 5.1. There is no provision for a line out for the subwoofer, I don't think there is any way to use the RCA inputs with such a setup.

The good news is that you probably have amps with a much higher damping factor. I noticed this in the Yamaha lineup when I bought a little 2 ch receiver for my office.

Michael

Hi, while I'm not familar with SVS subs, you could use the Denon's pre-outs to the SVS's line-in, and then come back to the Denon's pre-ins, IF(**?) the *SVS has line-level out RCA's(hi-pass)*. Adjust the SVS's hi-pass to approx 80 hz, to feed the RF-7's. The higher you go to the 7's, the less demand of LF reproduction, you'll be asking from the Denon.

Thanks for the responses.........

The "pre-out" is busy feeding the external amp.

Maybe try to get a signal capable of running the sub from the "main-in" ? Maybe the "vcr" or "tape" out ?

I'll try one of those.........maybe I won't fry everything.

won't any of the 'outs' be essentially the same signal and voltage? Pre, tape, aux, etc.

Remember that this method will send full range signal to your L/R's whereas sending the speaker level to the sub and then back out might/should use the subs internal crossover to limit the LF going to the mains. I'm not familiar with those subs or that hookup style however. Consult your manual.

M

Most subs when going that route have a fixed 150Hz highpass or a full-range bypass.

Ultimately, your best bet would be to get an external crossover that way you can take some excursion off the mains and clean up the midrange while taking advantage of the full bandwidth of the subwoofer. In your current situation you will need to set the crossover to fill in as the mains roll-off which means the subs are going to sit there doing nothing most of the time.

The enable switch enables/disables the low-pass x-o. (as described in the manual).

And based on their "manual" I am pretty certain that the HF line level outputs are full-range. If SVS wasn't annoying they would describe this better (as well as a few other things) in their manual/specs - with the way they strain to advertise features, you'd think they would at least mention a fancy awesome HPF. Sounds like a phone call or some testing is in order to verify just how they have it implemented. Speculation ain't gonna accomplish much when it's based on crap info.

While it is sketchy, page 8(Line In/Out) .....you can use the line-out jacks to send sound (filtered of bass information) back to your system amp. What more could he want? Even if it's fixed at 150 Hz, it certainly shouldn't cause any problems with 7's as mains.

Either way, the original question has been answered with multiple options, but I'm still sticking with my Velodyne.

When I first got the sub the only help they suggested......run the amp out to the sub and then on out to the full range speakers, it sounded terrible. Not sure why but now I have the main amp signal split from the amp binding posts and run out to each the sub and speakers. This weekend I will try using a splitter on the "pre-out" to run a signal to the amp and the sub, I hope it works well and I can hear a difference for the better.

Now I am using the stereo receiver for a preamp to control the Sonographe. After reading some of your replies maybe using a tube preamp to control the Denon receiver internal amps could be interesting.

Seems like there are many ways to hook these electronics up.........[8-)] My choice of sub now would be a DD series Velodyne or that new Klipsch sub..........[:P]

Because the high level signal is being converted down to a normal voltage/current level and then being fed into the normal RCA circuitry. And because the high level inputs are more a vanity feature for compromised setups they don't bother being too careful about the parts they use.