Yes

DrWho

6 hours ago, BigStewMan said:

reading some old threads ... how did I miss this one?  Couldn’t resist reviving this thread. Huge YES fan here.  

So @DrWho, do you remember what you bought over a decade ago?

Hopefully, you took the advise of those that recommended Close to the Edge.  One of the best albums of all time. Also agree with Colter about Siberian Khatru -- amazingly good song.  That’s the song i would blast whenever my Mom made me clean my bedroom. I’m sure Michael @colterphoto1 would agree that you can never go wrong with Starship Trooper. 

Bonus points to the person that mentioned Starcastle!

Long Live Prog!

I've seen yes live since..1980...Hartford civic center ,

1984 Rochester..1984 spac...abwh 1989 , 91 or 92 Albany , 2000 spac..

and of course...GTR...85 utica...

10 hours ago, mike stehr said:

If I recall, I seen Yes in the round in 1978, or 1979. One of the best shows I can remember...

We must have caught them on the same tour.  I saw them in the round in 1979 on the Tormato Tour. 

I was always intrigued with that stage.  A few years ago, Rick Wakeman told me that he liked that stage; but, he liked the rotating stage for their Union tour even more (it was bigger). They put on a really good show.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, BigStewMan said:

We must have caught them on the same tour.  I saw them in the round in 1979 on the Tomato Tour. 

I was always intrigued with that stage.  A few years ago, Rick Wakeman told me that he liked that stage; but, he liked the rotating stage for their Union tour even more (it was bigger). They put on a really good show.

Yep, it was the Tormato tour.

Every member did a solo if I recall. I liked how the roadies were under the stage...every once in awhile, a guitar would pop up through the floor.

Okay, you remember that tour/gig. 

Now my memories of the event are rather faded, but I recall right at the very beginning of the show a big flash, like a arc or some such from the speakers down to the stage. And then Jon Anderson pops up through the floor like he appears out of nowhere. Do you recall that, or did I partake too much that evening?

2 hours ago, mike stehr said:

Yep, it was the Tormato tour.

Every member did a solo if I recall. I liked how the roadies were under the stage...every once in awhile, a guitar would pop up through the floor.

Okay, you remember that tour/gig. 

Now my memories of the event are rather faded, but I recall right at the very beginning of the show a big flash, like a arc or some such from the speakers down to the stage. And then Jon Anderson pops up through the floor like he appears out of nowhere. Do you recall that, or did I partake too much that evening?

sorry, don’t recall that part. I just remember the turning stage in general.  Specifics of the night left me quite some time ago.

The show I saw had the round stage rotating, I'm not positive on the year. I do remember I drove to that concert, and I got my license in 1979. I don't remember anyone appearing on stage. I do remember an Angel/Godz concert around 1979 that had the band Angel just "appear" on stage.

Unfortunately my millennial mind discovered Pandora and I listen to the Yes station instead of buying albums....

It was more fun listening at Colter's place anyway. That was a sonic adventure through history and magical lands of music. That said, this revival of an old thread has inspired me to bust out some Yes.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, DrWho said:

Unfortunately my millennial mind discovered Pandora and I listen to the Yes station instead of buying albums....

It was more fun listening at Colter's place anyway. That was a sonic adventure through history and magical lands of music. That said, this revival of an old thread has inspired me to bust out some Yes.

On 12/12/2017 at 8:54 AM, Schu said:

I got an original close to the edge concert program signed by all five members... wonder what it's worth.

wow.  color me impressed.  is there a story about how you came to get that?

19 minutes ago, TubeHiFiNut said:

First time I saw Yes was in 1970 touring The Yes Album with Tony Kaye on keyboards.

They were the warmup band for Jethro Tull - Aqualung tour.

words fail me today.  all I can think of is 'wow, what a show that would be!'

First time I saw Yes was in 1971, at the Whiskey Au  Go Go on the Sunset Strip. They were touring in support of Fragile. The opening act was Mary Wells (yes, the Mary Wells who sang "My Guy").

The second time I saw them was in 1972 at the Forum, when they were touring in support of Close To The Edge. (Bill Bruford had just quit to join King Crimson and Alan White was Yes's brand-new drummer — he barely had time to learn the songs and arrangements before the tour started.) The opening act was Poco.

The third time I saw them was in 1999 at the Gibson (nee Universal) Amphitheater, when they were touring in support of their retirement accounts. The opening act was The Alan Parsons Project.