Yes

DrWho

Yes, I have the Keys Ascension DVD - we'll watch it next time. It has Alan White on Drums and does have Starship for the final number. I don't know that it has the LF punch that the other one does.

But I'll run ya through a brief history of the band. It's best done to music....

It's been a complicated 30 years

Michael

Keys has a great version of Starship Trooper. Its alot different in sound than on the Yes Album and Yessongs, which have more crunch. The Keys version is crisper and the solos are longer and trade back and forth more. I'm amazed these guys put so much energy into after all these years-- its not definitive, but it will make the hair on your neck stand up-

YES' highpoint was with Wakeman and Bill Buford, other line-ups were good, but Howe, Squire, Anderson, Wakeman and Buford, that's the TRUE Yes......................

maybe we should have a White vs Bruford thread. Bill Bruford's more technical and has a poppier sound, but I think I like Alan White for his sheer power--

YES' highpoint was with Wakeman and Bill Buford, other line-ups were good, but Howe, Squire, Anderson, Wakeman and Buford, that's the TRUE Yes......................

maybe we should have a White vs Bruford thread. Bill Bruford's more technical and has a poppier sound, but I think I like Alan White for his sheer power--

Alan White is a fine drummer, no doubt, he is on many albums by different artist's..................Bill Bruford is more technical, but I feel has a jazzier style, I wouldn't say poppier, King Crimson wasn't pop music....................Two different styles of drumming, two different Yes Bands..............

As you can tell from the suggestions, it's hard to go wrong. The big three are easily Close to the Edge, The Yes Album, and Fragile. The first two are best appreciated with a very low noise floor, and low to little lighting for total immersion therapy. Imports are the only way to go if buying lp's.

Two things:

1-Does anyone remember GTR? Steve Howe AND Steve Hackett(Genesis) together.

2-Anyone a big MST3000 fan? I remember Joel and the robots would often

say "Say No To Yes" anytime some cheesy, synthy keyboard-driven music

would play during whatever movie they were skewering. I'd laugh every

time.

Two things:

1-Does anyone remember GTR? Steve Howe AND Steve Hackett(Genesis) together.

2-Anyone a big MST3000 fan? I remember Joel and the robots would often say "Say No To Yes" anytime some cheesy, synthy keyboard-driven music would play during whatever movie they were skewering. I'd laugh every time.

Count me in for MST3K. Nothing quite like bad movies, and making fun of them at the same time! So many movies to love on that show, from Manos the hands of Fate to Gamera with that annoying Kenny. Remember the time they broke into Tusk during a film?

• Moderators

I have loved Yes since the 70s, and if I had to do it again, I wold buy in this order:

The Yes Album

Going For the One

Fragile

Yessongs

Close to the Edge

Topographic Oceans

Relayer

--I love all of these albums, and I don't think you can go wrong at all by buying any one of these first. Yessongs to me is their best, but its alot to swallow. Close to the Edge is incredible but a tad repetitive, Topographic is the most interesting, but I think you have to be a fan to love it. I think if you like any of these, you will eventually want all of them anyway. They are all classic to me-- All of their later stuff and albums named after the band members have some nice moments but are hit-or-miss.

Great list, my order would be similar but I would have Close to the Edge No. 1 and Tales OTO up a bit higher. I know I am in a small minority of on Tales, while I don't think it is one of there top three lp's, I am one of the few how would put it in their top 5. Dr. Who, do you have a vinyl rig? I can't recall.

Travis

Seems to be a lot of suggestions for Classic Yes and Fragile.

If I'm into the more crazy exotic wierdness will these keep me occupied? I'll probably end up trying to listen to some stuff at Mike's place before I make a decision. If nothing else it'll be a fun trip through Yes history.

Seems to be a lot of suggestions for Classic Yes and Fragile.

If I'm into the more crazy exotic wierdness will these keep me occupied? I'll probably end up trying to listen to some stuff at Mike's place before I make a decision. If nothing else it'll be a fun trip through Yes history.

Frank ZAPPA...........................Mothers of Invention................Crazy Exotic Wierdness, not YES..............

I like Yes and have a few of their albums but I am looking for a specific album and song and don't know what it is. All I have is one line "I am a camera" any clues to the song title and album it's on?

***Update: I found it, its on Drama.

They have some trippy stuff, if you like Yes you should like The Alan Parsons Project and older Pink Floyd as well.

Another band that is somewhat similar is Nektar -- whenever I listen to them, I amazed that they weren't more famous. They were a group of Englishmen that lived in Germany so they were considered Krautrock back then, but I see more similarities to Yes and Deep Purple. Kind of the boogie punch of DP with the sometimes ethereal longer suites like Yes. Great guitar and keys. I bought their 2CD set and burned a single CD from it, and its one of my fave discs-- Tab In the Ocean is probably their best--They were contemporaries of Yes, so their sound is all analog - great stuff--

All this talk about Yes inspired me to spin my Japanese import of The Yes Album (2300 yen back in the day baby-cakes). The first track (Yours is no Disgrace) reminded me that one of our drumline members in the TCU marching band wrote a cadence that we played as part of our mix which was based on that track. I have never been to a homecoming so I don't know if it is still being played, or if any of mine are for that matter.

• 3 weeks later...

NooooooBody .....likes StarCastle ...???

Terrey Luttrell is a vocalist in the true Yes style

gotcher Rickenbacker w/ RotoSounds typa Bass workin'...

what's not to like ...??

Ahhh... Starcastle...

I have 3 of their albums and played them a lot while stationed in Germany (1978 - 1982). As a matter of fact, I'm gonna go home tonight and spin some. Thanks, Duke!

As for YES (one of my all-time favorite bands, mind you) I would have to go with Close to the Edge. A phenomenal recording on vinyl (great bass) and just so very well put together.

Mike

• 11 years later...

reading some old threads ... how did I miss this one?  Couldn’t resist reviving this thread. Huge YES fan here.  

So @DrWho, do you remember what you bought over a decade ago?

Hopefully, you took the advise of those that recommended Close to the Edge.  One of the best albums of all time. Also agree with Colter about Siberian Khatru -- amazingly good song.  That’s the song i would blast whenever my Mom made me clean my bedroom. I’m sure Michael @colterphoto1 would agree that you can never go wrong with Starship Trooper. 

Bonus points to the person that mentioned Starcastle!

Long Live Prog!

• Like 1