Things you have done, most others haven't

woodsman

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For me, singing is a passion. I have been pretty lucky sometimes.

I have been very lucky to have been asked to sing the National Anthem for sporting events and conventions. I have always remembered the words, and sung on key, but nothing like nailing it good.... and hearing the crowd later.

After 9/ 11 I sang the national anthem will a full house at Conseco Fieldhouse here in Indy like 17,000 people. Unlike before, they turned off all of the lights except for me and one on the flag with a spot. You could of heard a pin drop it was sooo quiet, it was amazing. When I was done, the place went nuts with cheers and applause.. and the team all came out to shake my hand just min before game time. (I sing it straight, not too much added, it was just one of those days it really felt good.) For a singer.. it does not get better than this!

Winning the "Singing in the shower" contest at the local, then state level, and being flown to Los Angeles put up at the Universal Hilton hotel at Universal Studios for a week all expenses paid. We got to compete in the finals, singing at the House Of Blues on Sunset Blvd, and seeing those finals in a spot on the national news channels on headline news and locally back home. My friends have all laughed at me singing Karaoke for years ... I think we had the last laugh just having fun and not taking ourselves too seriously! The thing is, we won this contest 3 years in a row at the state level. (And took the trip, and cash.) The true joy, was sharing this with my wife the opportunity with all expenses paid, and cash money prises, and getting to go to Universal Studios, Shop, hang out with other crazy people just like us. (She had no idea this was going to be so much fun till we won after the first year!) Even more awesome to win with family and friends watching too.

post-5910-13819304741912_thumb.jpg

Once made the front page of the newspaper for being involved with the

starting of a huge fire in the middle of a drought without my parents

ever finding out. Good thing the picture only showed the back of our

heads...I guess that means successfully running from the cops too [H]

On a more positive note, my first ever studio recording made

radio airplay in central/southern Illinois. It was a 5 song album

entitled "Follow Me" by Finding Philip.

I did an eight ball of coke every weekend with my wife for around 15 months, bankrupted us, lost the house, couldn't stand the $ pressure so I turned my back on her and my two kids and split. This caused my wife of 15 years to have a nervous breakdown so I did the manly thing. I left her grasping for survival while I easily took custody of the children pushing her deeper into depression. I'm now eight years without a drink or toot and my daughter just graduated 8th with high honors but I can never take back what I did to my wife.

But on the bright side, I am more than prepared to deal with alcohol and drug addictions with my children. They both understand deeply that if I ever see them drunk at any age, I will whoop there butt and if I even suspect they are doing any drugs other than marijuanna I will remove their butt's. And, they can not smoke marijuanna until they are 18 and it must be used responsibly. My views may not be legal, but they are from the heart. You do not get high and go beat the wife or get behind the wheel and hit someone.

Sincerely, Bob

I've been tattooed for 15 hours straight.

I've been in a bar-bawl on Sunset Blvd. where myself and 2 buddies squared off against 9 fellas from Boston.

I've had producers and agents (of both sexes) attempt to make deals with me in exchange for sexual favors.

I've apprehended a security gaurd who was spraying mace at everyone inside a Korean Club.

I leaped across rooftops at 4AM in Laguna Beach.

I've attended the Oscars and Emmy's, and the after-parties.

I was a medicinal cannabis patient.

I accompanied my mother as Princess Diana's official host when she visited Hong Kong in 1990-something.

I told Pierce Brosnan, in person, that I believed he was the greatest "Bond" of any generation.

I've been paddle-swatted over 60 times in a single session.

I have never had any regrets.

Bought a pair of Jubilees?

(sorry, that was a cheap shot) [6]

Was on the front cover of the sports section of my hometown paper not once but twice! (during wrestling matches and I had upper hand verses being abused)

I married my wife.... I don't think anyone else here has done that?

I saw the movie Fini carried a part in. I think I missed his part [:$]

Wow there are some very interesting people here. Some of things mentioned are simply amazing. So here are my items to date with hopefully many more to come!

Bulit my very own Sinclair Z80 long before most people knew what a personal computer was

Spending one month in Spain as a Junior in High School as part of our Spanish Class exchange program

Part of a team that designed, built, and raced a Solar Car from Orlando to Detroit in the GM Sunrayce USA (first national solar car race). We came in 11th out of 32 Colleges entered.

Was in Singapore when the Iraq war started and left days before they closed the country due to SARS.

Laters, Jeff

One other. Have passed 6 kidney stones now in the past 8 yrs. Most are lucky to not have a one. Somehow I turned into a stone making machine. Three were passed with no pain medication and 3 were with some stuff darn near heroin. I would prefer the medication. I do not wish one on anyone.

OK folks, let's here some stories.

Jeff

In the last 10 years I believe my father had 40 kidney stones??? He still has 10 inside as the xrays show........ He's gone to the hospital to have them ultrasounded (high pitch sound to crush the stone internally) a few times, I lost track..... Also the fact that his stones are like real stones... hard and big....... not like some who are lucky to have small and soft ones that naturally break.....

On the otherhand, I worked for a University Lab while in HighSchool as a summer program for three years and such. I know more about and have hands on experience from deadly chemicals than most. I also know how to use an SEM (Scanning Electron Microscope), Xray diffraction, etc. Also the lab I worked with was in contract with the US Army to build a semi black ops project [:P] Also this is what I worked with during the summer.... A giant toaster of sorts

post-13377-13819304745396_thumb.jpg

One other nifty little thing I did was before the Aug 1990 SD Charger/Dallas Cowboys game I was a member of the team of Sailors and Marines to unfurled the 100 yard long American Flag across the field during the pre-game ceremonies while the National anthem was sung. This was just as operation Desert Sheild was beginning and the standing "O" the crowd/fans offered was deafening.

I have not done anything truly unique, but...

Member of the ski patrol at a fairly decent sized ski area, not to mention some of the stuff that I've actually skied down! Been skiing for 25 years now!

Written software that is now on board ships that sent "care packages" to the Taliban and Suddam Hussien.

Got to hang out and share drinks with members of a number of pretty big names in the power/progressive metal scene, such as DragonForce, Sonata Arctica, Evergrey, and Stratovarius. Also got to hang out a bit with Spock's Beard and King's X as well. Hell, I was invited to and attended a private pool party for one pretty well known local progressive metal band, Odin's Court.

I also got to shoot M-16s, M-60's, M302 grenade launchers and the like myself. Somebody mentioning doing things insane with duece-n-halfs. Some of the things we did with HumVees as well, not to mention an M555 command track - yikes! Hell, I even got to "shoot" 105mm (M102) and 155mm (M109 self-propelled) artillery as well. Got to fly in Blackhawk helicopters (pretty cool to get to participate in a heli-drop of light artillery). Gotta love the Army!

Got to be one of the very first to ride Roar (was on the very first train ever dispatched), a wooden roller coaster at Six Flags America just outside of Washington, D.C. when it first opened.

I've been tattooed for 15 hours straight.

I've been in a bar-bawl on Sunset Blvd. where myself and 2 buddies squared off against 9 fellas from Boston.

I've had producers and agents (of both sexes) attempt to make deals with me in exchange for sexual favors.

I've apprehended a security gaurd who was spraying mace at everyone inside a Korean Club.

I leaped across rooftops at 4AM in Laguna Beach.

I've attended the Oscars and Emmy's, and the after-parties.

I was a medicinal cannabis patient.

I accompanied my mother as Princess Diana's official host when she visited Hong Kong in 1990-something.

I told Pierce Brosnan, in person, that I believed he was the greatest "Bond" of any generation.

I've been paddle-swatted over 60 times in a single session.

I have never had any regrets.

Dang man, you're my HERO!

I met my soul mate, and the love of my life, at the age of 28 in 1983, married her, and had 9 years of a life I believe few ever experience until she died in 1992.

I watched Apollo 15 lift off from the deck of my Uncle's cabin cruiser anchored a few miles off the beach - back in 1971 security wasn't what it is today, and especially on the water offshore you could get very close. What a sight, and a sound...

I've watched the 4th of July fireworks in Creede, with the echos of the explosions booming back and forth through the canyons...

I started working at ComputerLand in late 1977 before there was an Apple ][ or Microsoft or "PC's" as we've come to know them... I was the original demonstrator of VisiCalc to Traveller's Insurance and United Technologies, had dinner with Bricklin and Frankston, and Fylstra a few times, and watched while probably the biggest opportunity to corner a market that ever existed was walked away from...

I founded an Internet B2B Exchange, built it to 10MM / month in sales with 250 employees, then watched it crash and burn in the Dot Com implosion of 2000 / 2001, lost my house, filed bankruptcy, sold my Klipsch, moved my family and started over...

I've caught an 80 pound Tarpon on a fly rod when I was fishing for bass in the Everglades...

I landed a Cessna 152 in a 25 knot cross wind in the rain becase I had no choice, and decided I didn't really like flying all that much, anyway...

Got to security guard back stage for The Who when they were in Philly back in??? 1989 (or something like that) Two nights in a row. Got to see each one of them drive up separatly in their limos. When they would arrive they would be no more than 5 yards from me... Very cool.

Got to meet and shake hands with Steve Martan.

Got to go back stage and meet Dream Theater on their Images And Words tour.

Got my first real french kiss when i was in the 3rd grade by a 6th grade girl. (Oh yeah!)

I'm sure there are a couple more interesting thigs that I'm forgetting... I'll add them later if I can think of them.

Snuck into Van Halen's 5150 concert. Seen them 3 times.

Still chasing that dream of 2 ( or more ) on 1. [;)]