Things you have done, most others haven't

woodsman

JT, you must have lived very close to Big Pink, did you ever see it, or go there? Know anybody who did?

Unfortunantly, no...never been there to see Big Pink, or know anyone who did (remember, I was only 7 then). I never did go to the town of Woodstock, and Big Pink, where Bob Dylan and members of Hawk did basement session recordings, is located in the northeast part of town. In '70 my family moved to Pleasant Valley (near Poughkeepsie) which is further south still, and a few years later we moved to CT. I haven't been to that part of NY state in over 30 years, but I'd love to see it today.

Sounds like it'd make a great road trip![au]

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Was in a circus for 6 years. Walked the high wire, caught the trapeze, rode the unicycle, and juggled (and a ton of other stuff that noone would recognize) -- Sometimes a combination of all of the above. Travelled to Lima, Peru for a month to perform daily down there. Was on Peruvian National Television one evening with an estimated audience of 10 million (there were at least 50k people in the stadium that night).

Was in a circus for 6 years. Walked the high wire, caught the trapeze, rode the unicycle, and juggled (and a ton of other stuff that noone would recognize) -- Sometimes a combination of all of the above. Travelled to Lima, Peru for a month to perform daily down there. Was on Peruvian National Television one evening with an estimated audience of 10 million (there were at least 50k people in the stadium that night).

the best one yet.

Most others on this forum??

Gave birth [:)]

Well shoot.... I thought I'd come on here and share some stuff that NO ONE would ever believe, but Amy just sent all of us down in a flaming spiral. That was indeed a good one Amy. That will not be out done, unless one of the women members or wifes of members speaks up. Good One.

not to gross anyone out but [+o(]

The human body usually has 10 pounds or more of accumulated foods in the body. You know, the reason you should have your drains in your actual home cleaned a few years, well crude accumulates in our pipes over the years...... eat your fiber.

• Moderators

Twins or Triplets would top that! [:D]

Ever take a crap so big that your pants fit better? I am hoping that I am one big turd away from backing into an old wardrobe. [:o]

That's sick, but funny.

Go to Mexico for about a week, that old wardrobe will feel loose after one week ![:o]

There are definately some pretty cool experiences listed so far!...As for me:

I've worked in the Film and TV production industry for over 21 years...so I met my share of celebrities over the years.

My father taught film at FSU and occasionally would bring in a guest lecturer for his class and would always bring them home for dinner. When I was about 10 or 11 I sat next to Frank Capra at my family's dinning room table and the only question I could think to ask him was..."What was your favorite movie that you directed?" He answered saying not too many people know this film...but I made a little film called It's a Wonderful Life and that's my favorite". although the film was nearly 30 years old at that time, it had not yet become the Christmas classic that it is today.

In high school I dated 2 time Emmy nominated actress Cheryl Hinds ("Curb Your Enthusiasm" & "RV").

I've opened one of the three locks on the Panama Canal.

I sat between Dickie Betts (guitarist for the Almann Bros.) and Tom Dowd (Legendary Producer) at Criterion Studios while Dickie was recording guitar solo over-dubs...Dickie asked me "How that sound?"...I didn't know what to say.

While shooting behind the scenes footage of a film called "Russkies" for Entertainment Tonight...I was stuck on a camera barge with a half dozen or so extras & crew in a light cold rain (well as cold as it gets off Key West)...Carol King had a small role in the film and she pulled out her guitar and we all huddled together while she sang for us.

Last year when Micheal Mann was in town shooting "Miami Vice" he came by our studio to watch a rough cut of a Miami Vice trailer in our screening room. I didn't really meet him but the sound in our screening room was provided by my Klipsch LaScalas which are on semi permanent loan to the company since I have no room for them in my townhouse.

jt1stcav wrote: "Also went to Miami for two days to shoot a commercial for AFN (the military's Armed Forces Network in Europe), making a chain of paper dolls depicting Marines." .. JT I was the VP of Production for that Production Company (Venture Productions) perhaps we met...SMALL WORLD!

DLU... said, "My father taught film at FSU and occasionally would bring in a guest lecturer for his class and would always bring them home for dinner. When I was about 10 or 11 I sat next to Frank Capra at my family's dinning room table and the only question I could think to ask him was..."What was your favorite movie that you directed?" He answered saying not too many people know this film...but I made a little film called It's a Wonderful Life and that's my favorite". although the film was nearly 30 years old at that time, it had not yet become the Christmas classic that it is today."

OMG, I sat here and almost cried.. OK, maybe not cried.. but an emotional feeling hit me. My favorite movie is "It's a Wonderful Life." Jimmy Stewart would sign a lot of things in his lifetime, Frank Capra did not. Even mroe rare is to have BOTH of their signatures on anything. One of my prized posessions is a original and verified so by Disney Collectables store is an Original lobby card for "It's a Wonderful Life", I have proudly in my office signed by both.

Now to have talked to Frank Capra when I know this movie back n forth. Heck I probably have 6 books on it at least! I have 2 copies of the script and can quote a lot of lines.. (always in black n white too please...) I would of been in heaven. Consider yourself lucky indeed. He was all about this movie as well in real life from what I can gather.. Take care of your friends in life.. Make a difference in everyone around you.. and you will see your life and their lives grow together and prosper.. Cause without each other.. We miss out on just how wonderful our lives are, and just how just one simple act can change the course of someone elses life and yours forever !!! .

• Moderators

Got maced by the cops at a Led Zeppelin concert in 1977.

Got to photograph the Indy500 while suited up in the pit crew area of the team I was working with.

Met and photographed Mikhail Gorbachev and his wife at a reception in Indianapolis.

I think Amy's got us guys- that's about the most awesome thing a human could ever do. But let's have fun with the topic anyways.

Michael

Michael,

I appologize if you have already answered any of these questions:

What year were you in the pits to photograph? What team/car/drive was it? Can you post any photos? I would kill to be in the pits for one Indy or F1 race.

Did you airbrush the birthmark on Mikhail (only half kidding, I saw a tv interview where he was asked about some of the offical state propoganda protraits they used to hang as giant banners around Moscow having the birthmark, and some not having it, or in a hat, not in a hat, etc.)

Travis

Travis, I'd have to check my pit badges... 1992. They pin a ski-lift type badge through your fire suit so it can't be transferred to anyone else. Short story, I was working for an accounting firm at the time, the team owner, a local real estate tycoon, called needing a computer guy to work with the race team with car data. I was tapped out. As it turns out, I went to high school with the team owner. I worked with Mann Motorsports and John Paul Jr. for four years. The third year we made the show and I got to take pics from the pits.

I wasn't a mechanic or even allowed to touch any tools, other than to help hump tires and equipment around. But I did understand the onboard telemetry system in its earliest form, had to plug into the car and download data during practice sessions. The Team Manager would then look at the charts and could ask the driver about handling characteristics- 'see John, it shows you lifting in the third turn, is it too stiff? Less wicker bill?' It was a pretty exciting time. My Dad used to take May off and go photograph for UPI and AP, so I was following in his footsteps a bit.

The Gorbachev thing was a private/politico event here in Indy. I just took the 'grip and grin' pics of various people meeting him. I'm not allowed to give the name of any of the attendees. Client privlege, you understand. [:)]

Michael

Hmmm...

Got to march in the Rose Bowl Parade my Senior year of high school...

Been to the top of the World Trade Center, Chrysler Buidling, and Empire State Building, all in the same day.

More recently, I got a ride in the back seat of an F-16. You really haven't lived until you've seen the Grand Canyon, from above, while flying upside down at 500+ knots. And then we pulled 9.1Gs!

Got a base hit off of Alice Cooper at a charity softball game.

With regards to Robin Williams in "Good Will Hunting", I've been to the Sistine Chapel, and I know what it smells like.

Dale

So I was thinking a bit more and I thought this was a funny one...

My first time in court I ran across the tops of the benches. It was crowded as heck and I thought nothing of taking the path of least resistance...but that security lady didn't share the same perspective...ya, that was interesting...especially when I innocently responded yes to her questions about doing the same thing at home.

I got rear ended by a kid doing somewhere between 70 and 90 mph in my

neighborhood! (not more than 2 blocks from my house). It was a somewhat

blind corner where I was turning right on red and there would be no way

to see someone going that fast. I was on a permit and my whole family

was in the car - we skidded to a stop an entire block after being hit.

Despite the situation the cop had to give me the ticket and then let

the courts settle it all out. The car was totalled.

2 weeks later the same kid was going 90mph down another street, blew a

red light, and t-boned another car right in front of a cop. Stupid 16

year old kid driving his dad's camaro.

after the accident, his first day back in the car (repairs).

He must have hit us just right because there wasn't that much damage to his car. Our Lumina however had the rear-end crushed all the way up to the rear seats.