Electro-Voice 2 Way Coax Klipsch auction..

Clarence

*perk* Karlsons!!! ..........have a pic,..... Karlsonites want to know....... welcome to the Karlson Army....http://www.noorloos.nl/Karlson/Karlson.htm

Just picked up a pair of these mounted in (bigger than cornwall sized ) karlson cabinets with the t35 tweeters.

They put out a lot o bass and sound really really good with blue note recodings.

I'm old enough to remember seeing these large coax designs being used in a plethora of boxes back in the late 1950s and 60s. They were listed all over the huge Allied Electronics catalogs and I used to drool over them as a "teenaged audio experimenter". (I still get the catalogs by the way. LOL) As you mentioned, Clarence; coaxs were all over the automotive-application realm, too. Doc is right; lots of good PAs had some pretty large 2 & 3-way Electovoice, Altec and other drivers in order to bring the overall box size down. I prefer separate drivers in my own speakers, but these coax jobs were lots of fun to experiment with and sound pretty desent when set up with the right box and dialed-in. If you buy them, have fun! Let us know what happens, Clarence. -Glenn

The EV woofers, University and EV mids and tweets were supplied standard production speakers for the Klipsch shorthorn, and the licensed EV and Cabinart models, ie the Rebel. The coaxial and triaxial speakers could be special ordered, and often were on the sales sheets alongside the standard guts. I would say the seller is correct.

• 9 months later...

The 16 ohm, orange cloth surround, white magnet, burgandy badge 12TRX circa 1960 was a great loudspeaker. Extremely efficient. With a 20 watt Eico amp they were loud and clear in a 400 sq ft room, as loud as a live rock concert with really good seats. The Klipsch licensed Marquis bass reflex enclosure was the ticket. No muddy bass and clear vocals. Had a beautiful original pair, lost to a fire in 1990. Oh well, after seaching high and low and owning a pair of Klipschorns for a while I ended up with Kef reference 3's. They sound great but don't have the dynamics of the Ev's or the Khorns.