just purchased Cornwalls

tom b. 57

I just purchased a pair of '75' Cornwalls yesterday and am very pleased with their performance. Instead of the K-33, they have a K-44 woofer. The individual that I bought them from said that they were unique because of the different woofer. Is this so? I paid $850.00 for the pair. The cabinets showed a fair amount of ware, but for 31 years of use I thought they looked about like they should. Did I pay a fair price? I do believe I will get more than $850.00 worth of enjoyment from them. In just one day I think I already got $100.00 worth. What do you guys think.

tom b. 57

Yes I believe you are right Michael, K-43's. You say they don't hit the lows as well as the K-33's, and that I might think of replacing them with the 33's. Is this a difficult task? I am not very educated in this sort of thing, and are the 33's expensive?

tom b. 57

Very easy. Take off the 50 or so screws from the back of the speaker and you'll see just how easy it is.

You can buy a new pair of K33s from Klipsch parts then sell the others on ebay (if you can).

$850 is a bit on the high side unless the cabs are in very good shape. Still, one of the best bargains on the market for a pair of used speakers. You'll certainly get that much enjoyment from them. Much more most likely. Just wait til you hear them with the K33s!

contact member BEC about replacement K33's or he has a 'souped up' version available that I believe he engineered himself.

He might take those K43's off of you in part trade or sell them to a local band.

Like Fini said, it's an easy swap.

Tom try and find someone in your area that has a set of Cornwall's with the K 33's so that you can hear the difference; you may like them just the way they are. What do they look like: finish, grills, Do they have the pie slice logo's on them? We all love to see pic's.

Welcome to the fun. Bill

Bill has a good point. The CW is not shy of bass anyway. When I got my first pair they needed the woofers reconed (they had survived a house fire). I replaced the woofers temporarily with EV PA woofers and they sounded fine, perhaps better.

So just give a listen first. Same on the crossovers, there will be someone along who might say you need to replace things right off the bat. Just relax and enjoy, I'm sure they'll sound just fine. There is plenty of time for modifications later.

Michael

Congrats! Corns are great speakers. Just listen to them for a while before you decide to try to mod them. The price was a little on the high side for this time of year but then it sounds like you picked them up in person so the huge shipping bill did not come into play. Coulter has the largest collection of Klipsch I know of, he should be good with his advice. The good DrWho is one of the younger members of the board but he sure knows his stuff, EXCELENT advice from him also. Enjoy those big boxes for a while just as they are, I know you will have a great time[;)]

Thank you all for your input and advice. I believe I will leave them like they are for now. They sound great and I have to admit I'm still a litle giddy about finally having some Cornwalls. Back in the 80's I had a pair of speakers built by a small company called Audio Tech, and they were Cornwall look alikes. They sounded great, but these seem to sound a little cleaner, If my memory is doing me justice. I can't wait until I can afford some K-horns, one of my life dreams. My family think I'm nuts. Do you guys get that feeling from your families?

Thanks again, Tom