RF-7's -vs- RF-84's

PhilMays

I have recently moved and my old theater area was about 16 x 16....My new area is about 40 x 60 in volume (some where close at least).

My current set-up is a Yamaha RX-Z1 as a pre/pro, AMC 150 wpc 5 channel amp, RC-7, RF-7's, and RF-3II's for the surrounds with a KSW-15 sub.

What was very tight before now seems need to be "cranked up" substantially more to get close to the same prior results.

I have a Yamaha m-80 on the way (250 watts per channel) to handle the main speakers and am going to add a rear sub of some type to help out there. If I like the Yamaha amp, I will purchase two more to power the center and surrounds.

To my question. I have read the spec on the RF-84's and they look pretty good and indeed look better than the RF-7's. Specs can be decieving though and my sound shop told me they liked the RF-7's better. They did not have any 84's and I simply hate auditioning in their store as you all know they will sound different when they are in your environment.

However if they are that much better, I was thinking about getting a pair and moving my 7's to the surround spot as I thinl my RF-3II's may be a little thin.

I enjoy movies but I LOVE DVD-A's and SACD (yeah, I fought the loss of the 8 track also) and I put more emphasis on music over movies.

MY question....finially....has anyone AB compared these speaks and what do you think?

Thanks

Phil

To my question. I have read the spec on the RF-84's and they look pretty good and indeed look better than the RF-7's. Specs can be decieving though and my sound shop told me they liked the RF-7's better. They did not have any 84's and I simply hate auditioning in their store as you all know they will sound different when they are in your environment.

dang and I thought my rf-83 were the flagship of the reference line... [:P]

Anyways the rf-7 needs a quality amp and since the room is now 40X60 (let me guess basement) that it need more power. If the room was truely 16X16 there would have been a big double reflection room gain since a perfect square sucks for good acoustic characteristics. But I would first try a new subwoofer since the ksw was boomy and not as good as the newer subwoofer models. The RSW line is now discontinued and you may gat a good discount. The rt line are the new ones.

And to be honest the rf-7/rf-83 will not be day and night. It just resolves the problem of the lack of "midrange" the sensitivity is actually down some due to it being 100 db per channel unlike the 102 for the rf-7. Also another note, the RF-83 are taller and longer in depth but smaller in width

Thanks Jay,

I guess I meant rf-83's....duhhh

How would a set of 83's mix in with reference 7 series?

Yep basement...the size I gave is the volume. Do have some knee walls, kitchen with open pass through, kids play area, bar area, and dining area.

It has been a slight challenge to set-up. Thanks to some good advice here I was able to improve the KSW-15 by placement. It is boomy and my ex got my B & W sub that helped out.

Again thanks

Phil

Yea, I have knee walls in this spot which has been a perfect (astetics) location for entertainment center, couch placement yadda, yadda.

I guess what I am thinking is getting a set of 7's to replace the rear rf-3II surrounds. However looking at the 83's specs I question getting a set of those and moving my current 7's to the surround position.

Phil

Yea, I have knee walls in this spot which has been a perfect (astetics) location for entertainment center, couch placement yadda, yadda.

I guess what I am thinking is getting a set of 7's to replace the rear rf-3II surrounds. However looking at the 83's specs I question getting a set of those and moving my current 7's to the surround position.

Phil

I also considered doing what you are contemplating but got frustrated trying to find a local dealer so I have decided to look for another pair of RF-7's in the used market. FWIW, I don't think the specs on the RF-83 look better than the RF-7.

Jay is giving you good advise but that room is tough,corners are really nice for most any speakers,imo.I have both speakers,you know the 7's,the 83's are just a flatter sounding version.The 83's sound pretty nice but are a little polite,only my opinion.They won't fill a large room better than the 7's,they don't go as loud with the same authority to my ears,again only my opinion.The 83's do look very nice,the depth is killer,and taall.

If it were me I'd get a solid power amp(sorry I'm no Yamaha fan w/Klipsch,prolly just me)Parasound,Rotel,ATI,Outlaw or the like w/200 watts or so or the Rotel 1090(360 watts per,I think).I'd get a good prepro,Rotel,BK,Outlaw or the like.Once you have a setup you know can do the job then maybe some room treatments,at least the minimum in that room would be manditory.

This is all just my opinion and not meant to do anything but state what I would do,good luck.

I bought the RF-83s and am using the RF-7s are surrounds. They blend fine, although you may want to think about getting the RC-64 to go with your Ref IV mains if you go this route (it will fill a room better than the RC-7, and match the horns of the RF-83s perfectly).

IMO the RF-83s are decidely better speakers than the RF-7s...and I really like the RF-7. Not only is the midrange response improved, but the bass output is noticeably better (volume and control, to my ears). The top end is also smoother. There isn't much more to a speaker, so as far as I'm concerned, they're better in every way than the fantastic RF-7s.

You should demo them yourself, of course, but I'd encourage you to go this route.

• 2 weeks later...

I have both RF-83 and RF-7 and yes the RF-83's do sound nice, I prefer the RF-7's. A well setup RF-7 system really sounds much better to my ears than my RF-83's !! The RF-7's sound more "Live" with more "vocal presence" that I much prefer to my ears. If you like it more tamed down, you will like the RF-83's. Just my 2¢ :)