Having fun with Pandora

JBryan

ranjith, I have not heard a squeezbox. I just can't get past the form factor. Why on earth would you make a "music component" that does not lend itsef to a rack mount, equipment rack or other sort of typical A/V furniture.

Also, since I run the digital out from the ATron to my Sunfire's pre/pro digital in...I am using my Sunfire's DAC. The ATron pretty much functions as a nice, small piece of gear in my system to manage my music with out the space and mess of 100s of CDs. If I really want critical listening I use my turn table.

If you are a computer guy, the AT's software is all ASP so you can actually write your own software for it. Both the web interface and using the controls on the device are more then adequate. It is pretty simple to manage literally 1000's of songs. You can also make custom playlists like all the other devices.

Ranjith- type in Led Zeppelin and have a blast man!

Michael

Michael, I beat ur post to doing it ;) and then typed radiohead and then typed pink floyd and then typed deep purple, and whoa.. there are so many bands out there I've never even heard of that sound so fantastic. So much talent that I didn't even know existed, its nice having Pandora bring music to my ears apart from the mp3s,cds and LPs one owns... its really tempting to buy new cds now! how've u been michael, hows the digital transition working out for you? I'll email you with some questions regarding my own photography later today

ranjith, I have not heard a squeezbox. I just can't get past the form factor. Why on earth would you make a "music component" that does not lend itsef to a rack mount, equipment rack or other sort of typical A/V furniture.

Also, since I run the digital out from the ATron to my Sunfire's pre/pro digital in...I am using my Sunfire's DAC. The ATron pretty much functions as a nice, small piece of gear in my system to manage my music with out the space and mess of 100s of CDs. If I really want critical listening I use my turn table.

If you are a computer guy, the AT's software is all ASP so you can actually write your own software for it. Both the web interface and using the controls on the device are more then adequate. It is pretty simple to manage literally 1000's of songs. You can also make custom playlists like all the other devices.

will peep my head into ebay and keep an eye out for Atrons ... hopefully I can afford one by mid-september being a student and tall even a little purchase takes awhile to come by. thx for the recommendation .. from what i've read online so far the atron seems like the deal i want - good bang for the buck

didnt see flac listed as supported format.  advantage: sb

think of flac as a lossless "compressed" file.  about 1/2 to 3/4 the size of a wav.

i like the design.  how much is it?  i couldent find a price on there site

Squeezebox w/remote MSRP - $250, wireless - $300

Check prices on eBay, they usually run $25 - 50 less and they sometimes show up used on A'gon and the like for even less. There are several companies out there who are modding the SB for better audio. Red Wine and Bolder Audio do good work. Slim Devices will start shipping the Transporter in a few weeks. They claim it is the cat's meow in network players but at $1700 it had better be.

If you just want a wireless interface from your computer to your system, the Apple Express works fine (MAC and PC) and costs $130 or less. I used it for years before the SB and only relented when my music library started pushing the limits of my computer's hard drive.

-Bryan

didnt see flac listed as supported format. advantage: sb

think of flac as a lossless "compressed" file. about 1/2 to 3/4 the size of a wav.

i like the design. how much is it? i couldent find a price on there site

If your talking about the Audiotron, read the entire thread. I alreay pointed out that it does not support FLAC. I also said they are not in production any more (thus no price) used ones on ebay all the time. Turtle Beach was the pioneer in this field. I think the MSRP killed them off. Squeeze box might be a fine product, I don't know. They are ugly as sin. I am intrigued by the new Transporter. If you want convenience and ease of use any of them beats swapping out CDs for casual listening.