Building a LB76 - any advice?

freddyi

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Tony Reed has posted about having an LB project going.

Seems like I remember HDBRBuilder saying that the LB cab is more challenging than LaScala.

I'd suggest looking at a Cornscala II to use up a spare K33. It would be a quicker build and IMO better sounding, too.

Of course, it wouldn't be a LB, which has all it's own kind of character.

From the patent drawings, I think it actually used the K500:

"Analytical Low End = 375 Hz. Cut-off Frequency ...the midrange frequency loudspeaker straight exponential horn, a mean sound path length of approximately 15 inches...At the 400 Hz. crossover frequency..."

"The peaking effect derives from the fact that the LC crossover network has lower input, or driving point, impedance near the resonant frequencies of the various peaking circuits. At these frequencies, the input impedance drops from 8 or 16 ohms to as low as 4 ohms. Consequently, conventional solid state amplifiers, which are characteristically designed to deliver their maximum output into a 4 ohm load, produce a high output near the crossover frequencies of 400 and 6,000 Hz. where the outputs of the loudspeakers are drooping. "

maybe kluge with 811/whatever and a KSN1016 using some Edcor parts?

since there ain't no LB (in sight yet) then there should be some

Posted Image

re: those dang gooofy Karlson - lotta kick or hit but almost no gain above ~200 and sometimes none-seen there. but power ouput for size can be good compared to my limited horn experience plus the mighty Karlson Effect works "sometimes".

It is sort of a headache to build. Before I started I thought it would be about like a LaScala. The LaScala seems so easy to build. The LB just seems like it has some weird building quirks.

I'm almost done with my LB's. Mine are exactly like the factory model except I made mine slightly taller so I could put the tweeter above the mid horn. Pictures to follow.

Tony

Are those extension wings necessary? I don't remember seeing them on the one in the museum or at the sound company where we had them.

Also, any idea on whether a K600 CW horn could be substititued without much harm? I've got a couple of spares lying about.

Michael

Hi Tony - - FWIW I figured from the patent those hinged wings might be kinda like K400 baffle situation (or at least a lower baffle step).

How tough would your LB be to build (and install woofer) if bass section were separate and K33 loaded into a top access door?

Freddy