Picture Thread: Exotic Original Veneers/Heritage Rarities...

Chris Elm

This thread is awesome. Sufficiently awesome enough that my wife is 100% on board with a Belle Klipsch total refinish with top hat upgrades. She is just as impressed with the exotic woods as we are. Only problem is that Greg is no longer doing the Klipsch restorations to the cabinets :angry: . One thing is for certain - we will be looking for such services over the next year or two. Now that we are secure to our current dwelling we want to take the Belle ladies all the way.

Greg does the best work, that is for sure, no one can argue that, over priced in my opinion, but he gets it, so somebody thinks he is worth it, but

I don't think my brother is worth $300 an hour and he does over 80 hours a week, so who am I too judge, Oh yeah, I did custom cabinet work for over 5 years.

Roger

This thread is awesome. Sufficiently awesome enough that my wife is 100% on board with a Belle Klipsch total refinish with top hat upgrades. She is just as impressed with the exotic woods as we are. Only problem is that Greg is no longer doing the Klipsch restorations to the cabinets :angry: . One thing is for certain - we will be looking for such services over the next year or two. Now that we are secure to our current dwelling we want to take the Belle ladies all the way.

Greg does the best work, that is for sure, no one can argue that, over priced in my opinion, but he gets it, so somebody thinks he is worth it, but

I don't think my brother is worth $300 an hour and he does over 80 hours a week, so who am I too judge, Oh yeah, I did custom cabinet work for over 5 years.

Roger

My take on "he gets it" is a little bit different. He did first rate craftsmanship - and did it with the understanding of the context of the speaker - the sonic attributes of a more sturdy cabinet as well as presenting restorations that extend the life of the cabinets in even stronger fashion than the originals. Those restorations were so overbuilt as to last longer than a brand new original, if that's possible. Given that we plan to keep those speakers for life's duration, it seemed an investment that would be worth it.

I don't presume that he is the only one capable of such work, and when the finances are prepared to pursue the job I will be here and other places seeking the right craftsman for the job. My wife and I are unified on this one. Those speakers are as much hers as mine, and we have this on the list of things we want done.

• Like 2

So I'm curious about the "custom" finishes I've been thinking of getting a new set of H3's what "custom" finishes are available? Some just jaw dropping finishes in this thread just WOW. 

Current production only shows Black Ash, Cherry, or Walnut

• 2 weeks later...

So I'm curious about the "custom" finishes I've been thinking of getting a new set of H3's what "custom" finishes are available? Some just jaw dropping finishes in this thread just WOW. 

Current production only shows Black Ash, Cherry, or Walnut

Should you be interested in a factory "custom" finish … www.klipsch.com/education/heritage-faq

Edited by btimm

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Here is another picture of the Lacewood veneer. I looked at and listened to a pair of 60th anniversary Klipschorns, and the wood grain pattern was very similar.

I would love to wrap my Heresies with that.

aint cheap for sure -the best places to buy venner are the big outlets that overstock a lot of the exotics  - they eventually rebate it down and the deals are insane - I just dont know how long raw veneer can last in a warehouse setting - the last deal I saw was on Zebrawood -

For those adventurous enough to reveneer their own speaker cabinets there are a  numerous choices available. Companies like Brookside Veneer Company...or...Wood River...or Oakwood Veneer Company have an abundance of Exotics and Domestics that can be purchased. Many species come with or without a backing. Some come with a peel and stick adhesive and others are just plain leafs. Fancy Burls which were at one time only available in small s/f are now laid up in much larger sheets which make veneering something, much easier and with much less waste. If your browsing through a companies online sample selection keep in mind that the sample your looking at may not be the actual grain pattern or color or pore structure that is shown. Also those samples reflect what a Natural/Clear Coat would look like.

Colored Composit or Engineered veneers got their start over in Italy/Germany . Thanks to Designers and the Kitchen Cabinet Industry these have become more available in the States. Check out companies like Vtec Engineered Veneer Company. Reveneering and finishing something can be a gratifying experience but also a nightmare if not done properly.