AK-3 Klipschorn fuse question

dmethe3

I have blown a high frequency fuse (1.25a) and a low frequency fuse (2.5a). Although I know it was at extremely high volume, my Cornwalls and single Heresy center do not have any issues at this volume (120db). My question is, is it suitable to go to higher amp fuses without having issues. I am driving them all with a B&K reference 200.7 amp into a Denon AVR5700. Very clean power. I have never blown a speaker in a unfused speaker. I also do not listen at that volume all the time.The fuses blown were in different speakers, not the same one at the same time. Any suggestions?

While I realize those values are stock, they are actually pretty large, especially the high frequency fuse. I would investigate the cuase rather than put in larger fuses.

On the low frequency side, you may be trying to push the bass bin lower than designed. Many folks use sub woofers and shift a protion of the lower spectrum away from the k-horn and to the sub.

On the high frequency side, you may want to ensure that the tweeters and mid drivers are connected in the correct polarity.

post-22082-13819304906878_thumb.gif

dmethe3,

I think you need to think about how long you were pushing the speaker to high volume. A fuse can simply fail from long time use like any other part. Try just replacing it and see how long the new ones last. If you keep blowing them you may just be at the limits of the speaker.

One other possibility is real deep bass. Anything below about 30 Hz is just going to blow fuses, or worse yet, the woofer driver!

Al K.

Al,

I have replaced the fuses and am not having problems.Also, I don't overdrive the bass, as I have 2 subs. It was more of a question of is it normal? Someone else told me that for every 100 watts=1a fuse. That would mean 200watts=2a fuse. Is that correct.?

The fact that you have subs doesn't mean that the Khorn isn't receiving the bass too. What will determine that is what type of crossover do you have between the sub and the Khorn. That is, how is it hooked up?

As to your fuse size question: I don't know! I never thought about it quite that way. The fuse to use depends on what current will be drawn through the fuse. Figuring that out could get involved!

Al k.

• 13 years later...
34 minutes ago, Srinath said:

Thanks, I see now - its 140uf for the bass bin - but is that 1 cap or 2 ? Cos I have 2 massive caps - and cant read numbers on them due to the wiring not being enough and the clamps holding them on.

Khorn_XO.jpg

Two 70uf caps in parallel to get the 140uf value.  Yep...they are pretty big.

Yea, these are beautiful and Dayton gold (atleast the hat section had those) so I'm sure the woofer just died from old age - now is that common on an 86 ?

I have not had a woofer go - surrounds yes and if driven without fixing then the woofer too - but otherwise I've not heard of a woofer die - yea over driven, gravity sag etc etc.

Just not from natural causes.